Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sometimes use a Tempo Trainer and the cap holds it in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:
Iā€™m wit you. Getting to and from the pool is complicated enough. Not messing with a swim cap has helped simplify the process.

Pink? Or do you also struggle with chewing gum and walking?

I myself struggle with the project management of jobs/kids and packing the bag(s) for 5AM rollout. (I brush my teeth in the car to save time, but I do not chew gum while I do it). :-)

I second the capless lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apmoss wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:
Iā€™m wit you. Getting to and from the pool is complicated enough. Not messing with a swim cap has helped simplify the process.

I myself struggle with the project management of jobs/kids and packing the bag(s) for 5AM rollout. (I brush my teeth in the car to save time, but I do not chew gum while I do it). :-)

??? You don't have a bag with your swim gear in it?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
A lot of pools require them
---

I've swam in literally hundreds of pools, all in the US, across several different states. I've never encountered a pool that had a mandatory swim cap requirement.

I've also never gotten a mouth full of hair while swimming, which makes this a baffling argument. TBH- hair in a public pool is the least of my concerns. YMMV

I actually found one. I did a drop in visit while working in San Francisco for a day and they required a cap. All my travels and random pool visits, that was the only one.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimmers hair is a badge of honor. Any male who was an age group swimmer in the 70s or 80s wouldnt be caught dead in a cap unless it was mandatory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My exact experience and feeling on the matter.

Tri-Banter wrote:
---

I've swam in literally hundreds of pools, all in the US, across several different states. I've never encountered a pool that had a mandatory swim cap requirement.

I've also never gotten a mouth full of hair while swimming, which makes this a baffling argument. TBH- hair in a public pool is the least of my concerns. YMMV

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm mostly bald and do not wear a cap except on the coldest days or if the pool is very cool (for me). There is no requirement to wear one at any of the pools I swim. I do, however, appreciate it when folks with long hair wear one. Although I've never inhaled hair, it seems every other week I will catch a long strand in my hand and it feels both weird and yuck at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
dunno wrote:
I see all these blokes with short hair or no hair wearing swim caps-is there a reason that Im missing? I understand if you have long hair or are in a race but for crunching out laps Im a little...what the? So whats the reason?

Just because your hair is short, doesn't mean I want it in my mouth when I swim. It should be mandatory at all pools.

That makes absolutely no sense??

Better make sure no one who hasnā€™t shaved their arms, legs or pubic hair is allowed in the pool also...better also make sure that everyone has a shower before hoping in the pool to wash away all the sweat, faeces and urine.

Pools are disgusting places but Iā€™d rather some hair from someoneā€™s head in my mouth than the other items Iā€™ve listed that the pool is full of.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You pull it down over your eyebrows?

sch340 wrote:
It was a faded blonde, almost white/bleached color (eyebrows as well) and the consistency was like straw.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You admit pools are disgusting places, yet you wonā€™t take one simple step to be a part of the solution?

It is easy to complain, and damn near easier to do your part to make pools cleaner. Wear a cap, rinse off in the shower before jumping in, etc.

Everyone seems to have time for a 5 hour bike ride, but canā€™t spare 5 minutes to help with sanitation at their local pool
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
apmoss wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:

The Dad allowance for bags is 2 in our house. One is for work and whatever the kids forget, one is for the gym/pool/etc.

I think if I got a bag for swimming there would be a violin in it by the end of the week. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apmoss wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
apmoss wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:

The Dad allowance for bags is 2 in our house. One is for work and whatever the kids forget, one is for the gym/pool/etc.

I think if I got a bag for swimming there would be a violin in it by the end of the week. :-)

I hear ya. That's why my bags live in the car. Which sucks a bit in winter when you get to the pool and your suit is frozen. :-0

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
You admit pools are disgusting places, yet you wonā€™t take one simple step to be a part of the solution?

It is easy to complain, and damn near easier to do your part to make pools cleaner. Wear a cap, rinse off in the shower before jumping in, etc.

Everyone seems to have time for a 5 hour bike ride, but canā€™t spare 5 minutes to help with sanitation at their local pool

Exactly-I also donā€™t want pubic hair in my mouth, or hair from arms and legs, or hair from backs and chests, or urine or poo lol So am I really expect to worry about a few strands of short head hair when you have all this other stuff in the pool?

The point Iā€™m trying to make is if swim caps are mandatory to stop hair then why on earth donā€™t they make a Pre swim shower also mandatory? Why donā€™t they make shaved pubes, legs, backs, arms and chests mandatory?

Iā€™d love a policy of pre shower
Last edited by: dunno: Jun 12, 18 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ā€™d love a policy of pre shower
---

I've swam in literally hundreds of pools, all in the US, across several states. ALL of them have had a pre-shower policy (I'm pretty sure it's a law in most states). None of them, however, have had an efficient enforcement system of this policy.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I had cold pools, so having the cap on traps some heat from the heat and keeps me mentally warmer.
Also, you'll use them on race day, so might as well train with them.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

I swam in 2 different pools while I was in Italy: both required them. One of the pools I swam with in Germany required them too... This might be an international thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see your point, but I canā€™t see why you donā€™t just suck it up and do your part? If you shower and wear a cap that is one less person polluting the pool. Maybe you will inspire others, like Hayley Joel Osmand in that lame ā€œpay it forwardā€ movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:

sch340 wrote:
It was a faded blonde, almost white/bleached color (eyebrows as well) and the consistency was like straw.

Err.. no? I was describing the effect the chlorine had on both my hair and eyebrows. They were so white I could have been mistaken for a geriatric.

And my eyebrows don't do that now because I am only in the pool for about 15% of the time that I used to.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see. I was wondering if you only now have geriatric eyebrows. ;-)
I've noticed (it's very evident) that my leg, arm and chest hair has been reduced in length by about 50%. And it's extremely thin and frail. I've never read that prolonged pool exposure is detrimental to health, so I'm hoping that hair is the only susceptible structure.

sch340 wrote:
domingjm wrote:

sch340 wrote:

Err.. no? I was describing the effect the chlorine had on both my hair and eyebrows. They were so white I could have been mistaken for a geriatric.

And my eyebrows don't do that now because I am only in the pool for about 15% of the time that I used to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
I see your point, but I canā€™t see why you donā€™t just suck it up and do your part? If you shower and wear a cap that is one less person polluting the pool. Maybe you will inspire others, like Hayley Joel Osmand in that lame ā€œpay it forwardā€ movie.

I do shower before swims but wearing a swim cap to stop my 1 inch long hair from ā€˜politingā€™ the pool is a solution to a problem that doesnā€™t exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

Exactly-I also donā€™t want pubic hair in my mouth, or hair from arms and legs, or hair from backs and chests, or urine or poo lol So am I really expect to worry about a few strands of short head hair when you have all this other stuff in the pool?

The point Iā€™m trying to make is if swim caps are mandatory to stop hair then why on earth donā€™t they make a Pre swim shower also mandatory? Why donā€™t they make shaved pubes, legs, backs, arms and chests mandatory?

Iā€™d love a policy of pre shower

All pools I have been to have a pre-swim shower rule, but I have noticed that none enforce it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [travisml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. In NZ summer I swim outside from December-April, and I'd have melanoma in short order if I didn't wear something. I carry it through to the pool over winter out of habit.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

I do shower before swims but wearing a swim cap to stop my 1 inch long hair from ā€˜politingā€™ the pool is a solution to a problem that doesnā€™t exist.

Then don't wear a damn cap. What did you really think people were going to say here? That there is a correlation between wearing a cap and earning a kona slot? People wear them for a variety of reasons, you may not believe there is a sanitation reason for wearing a cap, and for someone with short hair it is probably a small one. But in my mind there are instances where the gesture means something, and I think this is one that has little negative effect.

I know it sounds strange , but this is actually a topic that really fires me up, I wish pools would grow a pair and enforce rules on showering, caps, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have really short hair (where I'm not bald) and just like others mention getting strands of hair caught in their hands I had strands of a hair getting caught in my short pointy hair, which I feel is disgusting, wearing a cap takes care of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
ā€™d love a policy of pre shower
---

I've swam in literally hundreds of pools, all in the US, across several states. ALL of them have had a pre-shower policy (I'm pretty sure it's a law in most states). None of them, however, have had an efficient enforcement system of this policy.

One of the pools I swim in enforces the shower policy. I like to call them the shower police but they also enforce the "no shoes on the pool deck" policy and I'm really happy about that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next