Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Just, the most effective counselors I know (sex crime therapists, substance abuse therapists) tend to be anti-stigmatic (is that a word?). I don’t know that this point of view has made its way to suicide.

Sure, but those mental health care professionals have a specific job to accomplish that is aided by that approach. I don't know that the layman is obligated or should adopt the same approach to a general view of these issues, because the typical layman is not responsible for treating mental health concerns.

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing most people that committing suicide isn't a sign of mental disorder, severe pain, etc. In general, the desire to survive is a basic human (or even animal) characteristic. A desire to cease surviving is at odds with what would seem to be the baseline of human psychology, and is therefore a disorder of some sort, almost by default. It doesn't have to be acute anguishing depression. Even the example of just being bored and tired of life is a likely to be considered a disorder if it is significant enough for a person to actively choose death.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the Netherlands and in Belgium now one can have euthanasia for intractable depression and other mental illness.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...osing-euthanasia-du/

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jun 5, 18 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t dispute that. But the case in point in that article was a 17 year old girl. On the other side is the “murder-suicide” of an elderly couple. There’s an automatic stigma. Everybody in America gets to keep and have their dignity these days. Except them.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
one of my uncontemplatable thoughts is whether there are any people, at any particular time of life, who deserve the dignity of not being considered horribly damaged if he or she takes his own life?
I have great sympathy for people with suicidal ideation and those who attempt suicide. I do not consider this population horribly damaged. Research has shown that the majority of people who successfully suicide (I hate the term) suffered from persistent mental health issues. It has also shown that most people who attempt suicide do not want to die, they want to escape what they feel is a hopeless situation.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
Just, the most effective counselors I know (sex crime therapists, substance abuse therapists) tend to be anti-stigmatic (is that a word?). I don’t know that this point of view has made its way to suicide.

Sure, but those mental health care professionals have a specific job to accomplish that is aided by that approach. I don't know that the layman is obligated or should adopt the same approach to a general view of these issues, because the typical layman is not responsible for treating mental health concerns.

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing most people that committing suicide isn't a sign of mental disorder, severe pain, etc. In general, the desire to survive is a basic human (or even animal) characteristic. A desire to cease surviving is at odds with what would seem to be the baseline of human psychology, and is therefore a disorder of some sort, almost by default. It doesn't have to be acute anguishing depression. Even the example of just being bored and tired of life is a likely to be considered a disorder if it is significant enough for a person to actively choose death.

i don't really want to try to convince anyone of anything. i have zero knowledge on this. i just imagine one of the things i have to deal with in my remaining hours is anticipating the thoughts and prayers givers, who don't know me from adam, opining expertly about my sad and tragic pathology (just like i've been hearing on the radio today about this particular lady). my last bit of dignity is going to be taken away from me by self-righteous assholes who don't know shit about me. maybe this lady just found out she has alzheimers? instead of it being some supposed business disappointment? (as was assumed today on the radio.) or if she is just bored and tired of life, as hs thompson apparently was. maybe labeling that a disorder is mostly to palliate the remainders.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

i don't really want to try to convince anyone of anything. i have zero knowledge on this. i just imagine one of the things i have to deal with in my remaining hours is anticipating the thoughts and prayers givers, who don't know me from adam, opining expertly about my sad and tragic pathology (just like i've been hearing on the radio today about this particular lady). my last bit of dignity is going to be taken away from me by self-righteous assholes who don't know shit about me. maybe this lady just found out she has alzheimers? instead of it being some supposed business disappointment? (as was assumed today on the radio.) or if she is just bored and tired of life, as hs thompson apparently was. maybe labeling that a disorder is mostly to palliate the remainders.

Maybe. I will say, that in the case of suicide, whether or not you have children completely changes my thinking/opinion about the non-remainder.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Related-Unrelated...

I never put two and two together that she was David's sister-in-law until it was mentioned on the Howard Stern Show a few years ago.

Maybe from this interview: https://soundcloud.com/...n/davidspade_brother

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last month a 104 year old Australian academic traveled to Switzerland for euthanasia, due to quality of life issues. It generated a lot of interest and media in Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/...y-euthanasia/9714292

For me personally I would like the option of voluntary euthanasia, should I have quality of life problems.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Sure. That makes sense. But can it be neither a character flaw nor an act emblematic of severe pain? I don’t know. Just, the most effective counselors I know (sex crime therapists, substance abuse therapists) tend to be anti-stigmatic (is that a word?). I don’t know that this point of view has made its way to suicide. Depression perhaps but not suicide. Successful suicide practitioners don’t represent a vocal constituency arguing their case.

I guess I can't really think of a hypothetical in which wanting to commit suicide is not emblematic of severe pain. Maybe an elderly person just really tired of living?

I'm with Slowman on this one. I can see a view in which a person feels he/she has accomplished everything he/she wanted to accomplish. At that point, the question becomes - why continue in this life? If you subscribe the philosophy of a glorious after-life, that realm could be enticing. If you believe there is nothing after death, then you have nothing to lose. If you believe in karmic energy, then it may be time for a new phase.

What strikes me, especially in this case, is leaving young children behind. For me, personally, I don't want to die, but, I have zero fear/concern/care about dying. I've done more than most will do in their lives. But, it pains me to think of the pain for the people I leave behind. It is this aspect, especially when kids are involved, that makes us question why. For me, I struggle with Chester Bennington's death for that very reason.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   Saw that. I think some people are ready to check out when they quit "living", whatever that means to them personally. On that note, anyone see the somewhat thought provoking movie "Me Before You"?
-
ps Hemmingway came to mind, as I have always thought of him as after living life so large, that he must have been the type that could not countenance a lesser existence. A quick search has one close to him of both minds:
-
"Memoirs composed by those near Hemingway pass on distinctive impressions of his suicide. Mary Hemingway does not decline the thought that it was an honorable, crushed-yet-not-vanquished act, but rather she focuses on the beyond any doubt reality that her spouse was mentally sick, and deteriorating."

https://www.quora.com/...ngway-commit-suicide
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said:

Quote:
There’s an automatic stigma. Everybody in America gets to keep and have their dignity these days. Except them.
and

Quote:
i have zero knowledge on this. i just imagine one of the things i have to deal with in my remaining hours is anticipating the thoughts and prayers givers, who don't know me from adam, opining expertly about my sad and tragic pathology (just like i've been hearing on the radio today about this particular lady). my last bit of dignity is going to be taken away from me by self-righteous assholes who don't know shit about me. maybe this lady just found out she has alzheimers? instead of it being some supposed business disappointment? (as was assumed today on the radio.) or if she is just bored and tired of life, as hs thompson apparently was. maybe labeling that a disorder is mostly to palliate the remainders.

From a scientific standpoint, when people are dead their brain ceases functioning and their consciousness is gone forever. All that remains is organic matter that will decompose or be consumed in a crematorium (usually, in the USA anyway). So how does it make any sense to talk of dignity of those that are dead? The dead cannot hear any comments, thoughts, or insults. So, what reason is there to be concerned about the dignity of the dead?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
what reason is there to be concerned about the dignity of the dead?

I think about my father and grandparents a lot, as standard-bearers. If the internet had gone to work to pick their bones after they died I'm not sure that their memory would be as motivating.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Designer Kate Spade commits suicide.

Quote:
The police said that Ms. Spade, 55, was discovered unresponsive at a Park Avenue apartment, where she had hanged herself. She had left a note, but the official did not comment on what it said. She was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:26 a.m.

A housekeeper found Ms. Spade in her bedroom hanging from a red scarf tied to a doorknob, the police said. She was unconscious and the housekeeper called 911.

Tie a scarf around the knob, leave a short lead and tie the other end around your neck while on your knees. Gently lean forward and create tension that cuts off your circulation, very gently. Eventually you pass out and gravity does the rest, provided the lead is short enough to keep your head and neck at least slightly off the floor.

The question, then, isn’t about hanging yourself. It’s about whether you can gently make yourself pass out. People who do it this way probably don’t want the terror of flailing around in the air kicking their feet, tied to a ceiling fan with a tipped chair below them. They probably find that image to be horrifying and violent.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
H- wrote:
what reason is there to be concerned about the dignity of the dead?

I think about my father and grandparents a lot, as standard-bearers. If the internet had gone to work to pick their bones after they died I'm not sure that their memory would be as motivating.

This nasty business with a mother's obituary also speaks to this issue. Dignity demolished every which way.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you hang yourself from a doorknob? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
JSA wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Sure. That makes sense. But can it be neither a character flaw nor an act emblematic of severe pain? I don’t know. Just, the most effective counselors I know (sex crime therapists, substance abuse therapists) tend to be anti-stigmatic (is that a word?). I don’t know that this point of view has made its way to suicide. Depression perhaps but not suicide. Successful suicide practitioners don’t represent a vocal constituency arguing their case.

I guess I can't really think of a hypothetical in which wanting to commit suicide is not emblematic of severe pain. Maybe an elderly person just really tired of living?

I'm with Slowman on this one. I can see a view in which a person feels he/she has accomplished everything he/she wanted to accomplish. At that point, the question becomes - why continue in this life? If you subscribe the philosophy of a glorious after-life, that realm could be enticing. If you believe there is nothing after death, then you have nothing to lose. If you believe in karmic energy, then it may be time for a new phase.

What strikes me, especially in this case, is leaving young children behind. For me, personally, I don't want to die, but, I have zero fear/concern/care about dying. I've done more than most will do in their lives. But, it pains me to think of the pain for the people I leave behind. It is this aspect, especially when kids are involved, that makes us question why. For me, I struggle with Chester Bennington's death for that very reason.

Your theories are tempting, Slowman. Please don't think I am judging or attacking the dignity of those who have committed suicide. I look at it from a different perspective:

A good high school friend of mine committed suicide when we were in our mid-20's, spring of 2006. I nursed my first baby at his memorial service while I listened to his mom describe a taxi ride she took through NYC to my friend's apartment where he died.

Last year the 38 year old mom of one of my 9 year old daughter's friends ended her own life. She had a 9 year old daughter and a 17 year old son. The mom and I had carpooled to our daughters' basketball games. One week we were plotting to get the girls on the same softball team for the summer, and the next week she was gone.

On Sunday, my MIL emailed to let us know my husband's cousin's 17 year old son had hung himself last Thursday after returning home from his 3rd year at college. He leaves behind a sister and father, grandfather, cousins, etc. His mom died of pancreatic cancer in 2008.

We, all of humanity, have an obligation to care for each other. When we harm ourselves, we harm each other. Live for others.

i don't have any theories. i do think a suicide from someone in his or her first quarter of life is different from someone in his or her last quarter.

but mostly i'm just commenting on the response from the remainders, not the motivations of the departed.

in this life it doesn't matter what you think; or even what you believe. it only matters what you do. if anyone who offers an opinion about someone's suicide would use that energy to take a neighbor to breakfast, it would do more good.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
in this life it doesn't matter what you think; or even what you believe. it only matters what you do. if any Canadian who offers an opinion about the US Government would use that energy to take a neighbor to breakfast, it would do more good.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next