Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spontaneous Garmin 520 LCD Screen Failure?
Quote | Reply
I finished a bike race, put the computer on my car seat, got something to drink and then my Garmin LCD screen was trashed. The device still seems to work, except you can't actually read the screen. Any idea what could cause this, anyone ever seen this? The device was not dropped, it did not get wet, it was not an usually warm or cold day, this just seems bizarre. Are these screens extremely sensitive, it is possible I dropped it about 12 inches onto the drivers seat in my car, but it would have been a soft drop onto a cushioned seat, I did not throw it at anything. or drop it onto a hard surface.

This is the second time in the past year I have had a Garmin product fail around the two year point (other issue was a 920XT which froze and could not be reset, had to be replaced; Garmin replaced it for $100). The devices are great when they work, but I can't think of any other high end electronics I have ever had fail and now Garmin's have done it twice. The 920XT actually failed when I was in the Lake Louis backcountry, way off trail, so that really made me nervous. I still had a map and compass (and smartphone), but lesson learned is don't put your faith in (Garmin) GPS device.

What are my other options for bike computer (power tap compatible), I think it is time to try something different.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: May 28, 18 20:59
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: May 28, 18 23:25
Re: Spontaneous Garmin 520 LCD Screen Failure? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 520 has gone south too.

Something to do w the USB port being loose, and now it won’t charge properly, or at all.

At first I thought it was the cord, and managed to get another cord to work, but that was just a temporary fix - the problem started up again, and now I can’t use the damn thing at all.

That screen issue looks nasty.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had that happen within a year of buying it and Garmin replaced it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had a similar thing happen to my 520 today also, but not nearly as bad. Just a few horizontal lines on the screen which seem to be permanent - whether the device is on or off. Less than two years old.

Maybe the screen is replaceable or maybe it's just not worth it.

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a cracked screen. Dropped on it's face on top of a hard surface with a protrusion at the 'N' in GARMIN. Or something dropped on it at that location.
Quote Reply
Re: Spontaneous Garmin 520 LCD Screen Failure? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are no cracks or scratches in the screen. It may be hard to see from the pictures, but there is no external damage to the case or the screen. That's what doesn't make any sense, if the screen was compressed or impacted enough to cause this much damage to the LCD I would expect there to be damage (like a crack, or even a scratch), but nada.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Jun 4, 18 23:07
Quote Reply