Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 MAJOR Problem
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, I'm an I.T. Consultant and wanted to give everyone a head's up. Might be a bit pre-mature but the consequences are so great I figured a warning was in order.

There appears to be a major problem with the Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 that just started rolling out. It is breaking many of the computers that have received it.

This is what you get after you log-in. Once you click "OK" in the error window, nothing works on the desktop. I was able to get into file explorer and copy the desktop folder back to the systemprofile location but that failed to fix the problem.

Thus far, 23 of my client PC's are effected - which is roughly 2/3 of the Window's 10 PC's I manage. The Windows 10 PC's that aren't impacted haven't updated yet (and I've disabled Windows updates). I've been working this all night and at this point, it appears the only fix is to reinstall Windows.

You might want to consider delaying Windows Updates until Microsoft figures this out. Be aware disabling Windows updates opens the door for other security concerns, however, based on the limited sample size I have access too, there is a high likelyhood the update will break the operating system and render the computer unusable until Windows is re-installed.

"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

http://bscmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 MAJOR Problem [k9car363] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
k9car363 wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm an I.T. Consultant and wanted to give everyone a head's up. Might be a bit pre-mature but the consequences are so great I figured a warning was in order.

There appears to be a major problem with the Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 that just started rolling out. It is breaking many of the computers that have received it.

This is what you get after you log-in. Once you click "OK" in the error window, nothing works on the desktop. I was able to get into file explorer and copy the desktop folder back to the systemprofile location but that failed to fix the problem.

Thus far, 23 of my client PC's are effected - which is roughly 2/3 of the Window's 10 PC's I manage. The Windows 10 PC's that aren't impacted haven't updated yet (and I've disabled Windows updates). I've been working this all night and at this point, it appears the only fix is to reinstall Windows.

You might want to consider delaying Windows Updates until Microsoft figures this out. Be aware disabling Windows updates opens the door for other security concerns, however, based on the limited sample size I have access too, there is a high likelyhood the update will break the operating system and render the computer unusable until Windows is re-installed.

I'm writing this from a Windows 10 computer. I've learned to create a restore point immediately after every update, and I've also learned to back up every file on this computer to an external drive of some sort. That's because I've had to reset it twice and reload all my files after previous major updates. Thanks, Redmond. You putzes!! ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 MAJOR Problem [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

I'm writing this from a Windows 10 computer. I've learned to create a restore point immediately after every update, and I've also learned to back up every file on this computer to an external drive of some sort. That's because I've had to reset it twice and reload all my files after previous major updates. Thanks, Redmond. You putzes!! ;-)

Except this update wiped out all the restore points on 23 PC's. Thanks Microsoft.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
k9car363 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Except this update wiped out all the restore points on 23 PC's. Thanks Microsoft.

Yow!

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 1803 update has been out since the beginning of May, this is the first I've seen your type of issue. Windows Central has a laundry list of other issues

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 MAJOR Problem [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
The 1803 update has been out since the beginning of May, this is the first I've seen your type of issue. Windows Central has a laundry list of other issues
Well, they need to add one to their list of 37 known issues. I'll refrain from my increasingly frustrated Windows 10 rant.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're transitioning from 7 to 10. Hundreds of desktops and laptops, I am fully expecting a few days of not getting jack shit accomplished, except for the select few who got an expectation to keep their Win 7 machines a little longer.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
k9car363 wrote:

I have this exact problem on one client computer and a different one after the update that also bricked the computer. Totally lame. MS has been shitting the bed with updates lately. And the fact that I can't disable them, even in an enterprise environment is mind boggling. I guess they're trying to open the door for others to come into the market. Insane.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 MAJOR Problem [bradword] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:
k9car363 wrote:

I have this exact problem on one client computer and a different one after the update that also bricked the computer. Totally lame. MS has been shitting the bed with updates lately. And the fact that I can't disable them, even in an enterprise environment is mind boggling. I guess they're trying to open the door for others to come into the market. Insane.
I disabled Windows Update Service on the PC's that haven't updated yet. Admittedly not the best solution for any number of reasons, but at least the PC won't get broke before MS pulls their thumb out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a big difference between deferring updates and disabling them. Hating MS at the moment.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:
There is a big difference between deferring updates and disabling them. Hating MS at the moment.
Yup. I started out just delaying the updates. Disabled updates as it became increasingly apparent the fix is reinstalling Windows. I have images for a couple of the PC's but many of them are going to be an old fashioned re-installation of Windows. Wanted to limit any further carnage until I know exactly what the fix is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you disabling the updates completely?

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:
How are you disabling the updates completely?

You'll need admin priveleges. Go to "Services," either by entering "Services" into the search bar or going to "Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services." In the Services window, scroll down to "Windows Update," and right-click. Change the start-up type to "Disabled," then go down and stop the service. Click "OK" to close the window. At that point, "Windows Update" should be blank under 'Status' and show "Disabled" under 'Startup' Type.

Don't forget you have disabled Windows Updates. Doing this will prevent ANY Windows updates, including Office, etc. This is NOT an ideal solution and may potentially expose the PC to other security concerns, however based on my admittedly small sample size, this is better than a dead computer. I'm hoping MS will step up and fix this in the next few days.

Last edited by: k9car363: May 22, 18 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to see this. My install happened without a hitch.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 MAJOR Problem [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured out a fix for this that keeps files, settings, and software if anyone has the problem and doesn't want to do a clean Windows install. PM me and I'll send you the procedure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well you joined ST 2 years ago and have only made 29 posts (5 of which are in this thread), but you don't appear to be trying to sell us anything, so kudos to you for taking the time out from lurking and warning us.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, thankfully my PC (2016 DELL Inspiron) updated fine too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing a lot of issues with computers that were previously Win 7 or 8 that upgraded to 10. Those that have had a clean install of 10 seem to do pretty well.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for informing. I shall not update my windows 7 for now then.

Last edited by: homereward: Jun 30, 18 23:51
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 MAJOR Problem [homereward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine seemed to update this weekend with no issues. I was starting from Wins10.

Quote Reply