Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [Sun Wu Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sun Wu Kong wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:
You just have to want to do it, and the real problem, no one wants to try.

No, the real problem is that it is unconstitutional.

Amend it then

There's a process -- right in our Constitution -- for doing just that. I think folks who are really passionate about diminishing or eliminating the Second Amendment should get right to work on that and then let us know how that's working out for them.

It's difficult to amend the Constitution for a very good reason. It insulates our controlling document from the passions of the crowd, for one. If we didn't have that built in to the thing we'd be just like every other half-a$$ed democracy in the world.

Meanwhile, by the way, while we're all wringing our hands over trying to get gun reform laws passed that would have done absolutely nothing to prevent this shooting -- as well as all the other ones over the decades -- Congress is continuing to push through, at a good clip, federal judges nominated by Donny Two Scoops. He really will have remade the judiciary (for at least a decade or more) by the time his first term is over. Always excepting those lunatics over on the Ninth Circuit, that is. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 22, 18 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:

Can you yell "FIRE" in a movie theatre without consequences? What about 1st Amendment rights? Just because it's a right does mean there's no ability to limit aspects of that right. The 2nd Amendment does not say you can keep and bare any arms you want. So if we want to be a strict contitutionalist, then sure, you can keep and bare any musket you want.

Another way to look at this. The citizens were allowed to have firearms that were similar to what the military/militia was using at the time.

Exactly. Amazing to me that this point get so often overlooked.

So what was the purpose of ensuring that citizens were allowed to have guns similar to what the military/militia had at the time? And what does that say about the Second Amendment today and what it should allow?

You know this. Even Dan repeatedly acknowledges this. The purpose then, as in now, is to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Obviously I don't, or I wouldn't have asked. And your answer wouldn't have occurred to me, as it isn't part of the Second Amendment last I checked.

So, how is it that owning guns, in reality, meets that purpose today? "Red Dawn"? Or against an oppressive government of our own? What threat to the Constitution do you see that owning guns protects against that threat?

I'm not going to rehash this argument with you. If you really care, you can easily find it. Dan has some great commentary on this topic, which includes blasting Team Donkey for ignoring this very real and very relevant aspect of 2A that Team Donkey loves to wholly ignore.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Looks like up-gunning schools is being contemplated in other states as well:

Kentucky Moves To Add Guns To Schools After School Shooting.

The flippant side (okay, once again; the A-HOLE side) of me would say that it's good to see folks taking a common sense approach to gun violence.

Edited to add:

Man, I hate being right all the time. (Okay, not all the time. Maybe not 99.99% of the time. But I really nail it .01% of the time.)

The Hill: Calls for new gun laws are falling on deaf ears.

But I wonder if it's because those "calls" are mostly based in dumb emotional bullying?

"Renewed calls for stricter gun controls following a school shooting in Florida that left 17 dead are falling on deaf ears.

Legislators in states across the country have delayed, defeated or refused to take up new measures to prevent more gun violence — despite the impassioned calls of victims from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

In Florida’s legislature, House Republicans blocked a Democratic effort to revive debate on a measure to ban assault weapons with student survivors from Parkland watching in the gallery. . . .’ (ed. That measure was defeated by something like a 31-76 for/against ratio, indicating that it wasn't even close)

Students from Parkland who have blanketed the media to call for gun reforms have expressed incredulity at the lack of action."

Honestly, I think it's more that the media has blanketed them, in yet another effort to generate the political results that the media wants.

Renewed calls for gun legislation is falling on deaf ears because corrupt politicians are afraid of the gun lobby. That’s all. They are addicted to the money. That is what is preventing any sort of common sense gun legislation.

You know, that's kind of funny. Because for 2016, the NRA and other gun rights groups gave a total of about $54.4 million to Republicans (through direct donations, though the majority of such donations went to PACs and the like).

But the liberal group Priorities USA and three other similar political action committees gave about $393 million in independent contributions to Democrats in that same election cycle. Each group gave an average of $98.25 million to Dems, easily exceeding the combined total of contributions from the NRA and other gun rights organizations to the GOP.

So I'm wondering why no one complains of the pernicious effect on our democracy that such a staggeringly large sum of money from liberal-type groups is bound to have?

The power of the NRA doesn't lie in any money it gives to Republicans, because even the Vox website has noted that the gun rights organization isn't anywhere close to being the largest donor to any Republican serving in Congress, and that the really important votes in Congress aren't affect by any monetary activity. Rather, the NRA speaks for millions of gun owners, all of whom are increasingly motivated to get out and vote, especially when talk about banning their firearms gets going whenever one of these completely preventable mass shootings occurs.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 22, 18 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
You do realize that we do not allow citizens the right to bear the arms that the military has, right? So do you feel that is constitutional?

Yes, that was my point. There are restrictions to the amendments so adding an AR-15 to the list does not create a constitutional crisis. I'm with you, I believe many people want to set limits but disagree with where they are to be set. That is where the discussion breaks down.

It's a tough nut to crack, for sure. The old law school graduate (and I loved CON LAW studies) in me would observe that the Second Amendment has taken on much more significance these days, where once it was basically the stepchild of the Bill of Rights for much of the 20th century. Today, a ban on AR-15 style firearms might well be held unconstitutional, given the precedential history of gun rights decisions issued by the Supreme Court in the 21st century. This would be both under 2A as well as the due process rights found in the Fourteenth Amendment. Courts could conceivably find that a ban on AR-15s irrationally distinguishes between that style of rifle -- and it's America's most-popular firearm today, being known more commonly as the "modern sporting rifle" -- and the many other semi-automatic rifles available on the market. The differences between the AR-15 (from any manufacturer, with "AR" standing for "Armalite") and other such rifles are largely cosmetic and mainly designed to give the AR-style weapon a really fearsome appearance that belies its essential .22 caliber (.223) nature.

As others here who own and handle guns regularly have observed: a firearms user who's intent on firing the maximum amount of rounds can just as easily put that much lead in the air from a rapid cycle rate (i.e. dropping a magazine and inserting a fresh one and continuing firing) as from having a so-called "high-capacity" magazine. The Virginia Tech shooter had two semi-automatic pistols and managed to kill 33, for a good reason: he overwhelmed his victims with extreme violence and they, in turn, reacted as many people would do: they went into some sort of shock or momentary paralysis that allowed the shooter to herd them and then take them in detail.

The above can be overcome, though, by training of subject populations. Training in how to respond to an active shooter, for instance. We need that in some schools (or all schools, sadly) for sure, and for starters. Simply trying to ban some sort of specific firearm will be completely insufficient to the task, in my opinion.

BK. I wonder if instead of banning a specific rifle or specific type of rifle, which bogs down in the semantics quagmire, what if they limited the speed of fire?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
You do realize that we do not allow citizens the right to bear the arms that the military has, right? So do you feel that is constitutional?

Yes, that was my point. There are restrictions to the amendments so adding an AR-15 to the list does not create a constitutional crisis. I'm with you, I believe many people want to set limits but disagree with where they are to be set. That is where the discussion breaks down.

It's a tough nut to crack, for sure. The old law school graduate (and I loved CON LAW studies) in me would observe that the Second Amendment has taken on much more significance these days, where once it was basically the stepchild of the Bill of Rights for much of the 20th century. Today, a ban on AR-15 style firearms might well be held unconstitutional, given the precedential history of gun rights decisions issued by the Supreme Court in the 21st century. This would be both under 2A as well as the due process rights found in the Fourteenth Amendment. Courts could conceivably find that a ban on AR-15s irrationally distinguishes between that style of rifle -- and it's America's most-popular firearm today, being known more commonly as the "modern sporting rifle" -- and the many other semi-automatic rifles available on the market. The differences between the AR-15 (from any manufacturer, with "AR" standing for "Armalite") and other such rifles are largely cosmetic and mainly designed to give the AR-style weapon a really fearsome appearance that belies its essential .22 caliber (.223) nature.

As others here who own and handle guns regularly have observed: a firearms user who's intent on firing the maximum amount of rounds can just as easily put that much lead in the air from a rapid cycle rate (i.e. dropping a magazine and inserting a fresh one and continuing firing) as from having a so-called "high-capacity" magazine. The Virginia Tech shooter had two semi-automatic pistols and managed to kill 33, for a good reason: he overwhelmed his victims with extreme violence and they, in turn, reacted as many people would do: they went into some sort of shock or momentary paralysis that allowed the shooter to herd them and then take them in detail.

The above can be overcome, though, by training of subject populations. Training in how to respond to an active shooter, for instance. We need that in some schools (or all schools, sadly) for sure, and for starters. Simply trying to ban some sort of specific firearm will be completely insufficient to the task, in my opinion.

BK. I wonder if instead of banning a specific rifle or specific type of rifle, which bogs down in the semantics quagmire, what if they limited the speed of fire?

Yeah, rate of fire might actually be more effective, especially in the personal self-defense realm. One reason we don't give civilian citizens access to true military weapons (the AR-15 is, at best, a pale imitation of a common US military infantry rifle) is that they're select-fire (single-round, three-round burst or full automatic) or fully automatic, and they've never really been available to the general populace for many decades now.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
307trout wrote:
Well, I think you are wrong.

Both parents are teachers and so is wife. 2/3 would carry if allowed. 2/3 have taken classes and trained regularly. Have 2 little girls in elementary school and even the worst of their teachers would take a bullet for them. How about giving them a chance to fight back, or at the very least create the element of doubt. I would trust every teacher I've come into contact with (keep in mind I grew up around a ton of teachers) to carry a gun, in school. Can't think of one whom I wouldn't trust with such a responsibility.

You know fuck all about the situation yet feel entitled to call others out. My family works in the most obvious soft target(s) in the nation and aren't allowed to do anything except throw soup cans or lacrosse balls if some fucktard decides to become famous.

Perhaps you think this teacher knows "fuck all," too?
No, she doesn't know fuck all, because she's talking like teachers will be forced to carry a weapon and no one has ever suggested such a thing.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [Cherrycracker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cherrycracker wrote:
klehner wrote:
307trout wrote:

Both parents are teachers and so is wife. 2/3 would carry if allowed. 2/3 have taken classes and trained regularly. Have 2 little girls in elementary school and even the worst of their teachers would take a bullet for them. How about giving them a chance to fight back, or at the very least create the element of doubt. I would trust every teacher I've come into contact with (keep in mind I grew up around a ton of teachers) to carry a gun, in school. Can't think of one whom I wouldn't trust with such a responsibility.

You know fuck all about the situation yet feel entitled to call others out. My family works in the most obvious soft target(s) in the nation and aren't allowed to do anything except throw soup cans or lacrosse balls if some fucktard decides to become famous.

No, she doesn't know fuck all, because she's talking like teachers will be forced to carry a weapon and no one has ever suggested such a thing.

That's what you got out of her column? Yikes. How about all the things she listed that could go wrong with someone who *does* choose to carry a gun? Or are they all 007-level killers?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
klehner wrote:

Despite your snark, I'll bet cash dollars that my 9th grade daughter knows more about teachers than do you.

LOL, no. Just, no.

Great idea for teachers to be walking in student-crowded halls while carrying. Should my wife have her gun in her purse, or in her computer bag, or in a holster for all to see? When she puts her purse down in the classroom, is that "on their person"?

Regardless of whether you think it's a good idea, the definitions of "concealed carry" and "on their person" shouldn't be out of reach for you.

You've argued with everyone here, and you've dismissed the arguments of a teacher.

Now you can argue against this Afghan veteran, who raises the same issues as all the others. I'm sure he knows "fuck all," too.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
So I'm wondering why no one complains of the pernicious effect on our democracy that such a staggeringly large sum of money from liberal-type groups is bound to have?

The power of the NRA doesn't lie in any money it gives to Republicans, because even the Vox website has noted that the gun rights organization isn't anywhere close to being the largest donor to any Republican serving in Congress, and that the really important votes in Congress aren't affect by any monetary activity. Rather, the NRA speaks for millions of gun owners, all of whom are increasingly motivated to get out and vote, especially when talk about banning their firearms gets going whenever one of these completely preventable mass shootings occurs.

-------------------

The NRA is a gun manufacturers' lobbyist. It espouses positions with which the majority of Americans disagree. That's not the case with the other groups you mention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
307trout wrote:
klehner wrote:

Despite your snark, I'll bet cash dollars that my 9th grade daughter knows more about teachers than do you.

LOL, no. Just, no.

Great idea for teachers to be walking in student-crowded halls while carrying. Should my wife have her gun in her purse, or in her computer bag, or in a holster for all to see? When she puts her purse down in the classroom, is that "on their person"?

Regardless of whether you think it's a good idea, the definitions of "concealed carry" and "on their person" shouldn't be out of reach for you.

You've argued with everyone here, and you've dismissed the arguments of a teacher.

Now you can argue against this Afghan veteran, who raises the same issues as all the others. I'm sure he knows "fuck all," too.

Where did I state that Mr. Miller knows fuck all about the topic. He makes valid points, but does so with an inaccurate idea of the role of CCW. He is writing based upon his experience as military which is very, very different than the role of CCW in civilian life.

He also vastly overstates the training and practice levels of the vast majority of LEO. There isn't enough money in the budgets of police forces to purchase the ammunition necessary for officers to shoot very often. Required qualification is once or twice a year for the average police officer with 50 shots per qualification and passing scores are somewhat surprisingly low. Many officers shoot more frequently, but at their own cost and on their own time and I am sure that many seek additional training to become true experts, but that is not true for the vast majority of officers.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

-------------------

The NRA is a gun manufacturers' lobbyist. It espouses positions with which the majority of Americans disagree. That's not the case with the other groups you mention.

And Priorities USA and the other liberal groups aren't lobbying? That betrays a lack of understanding about what goes on in Washington DC.

Also, I'm not really sure the so-called "majority of Americans" actually disapprove of gun rights. It's all in how the questions are put to them, because two surveys in the aftermath of this high school shooting show, on one hand, that there's been no movement in support for additional gun control measures while another survey, on the other hand, shows a large movement. So which is it?

The above is why we don't usually legislate by polling when it comes to the Bill of Rights, of which the Second Amendment is a part. Pro-gun and anti-gun lobbies and groups can, of course, cite any poll they feel suits their purposes to push a point.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 22, 18 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
klehner wrote:
307trout wrote:
klehner wrote:

LOL, no. Just, no.

Where did I state that Mr. Miller knows fuck all about the topic. He makes valid points, but does so with an inaccurate idea of the role of CCW. He is writing based upon his experience as military which is very, very different than the role of CCW in civilian life.

He also vastly overstates the training and practice levels of the vast majority of LEO. There isn't enough money in the budgets of police forces to purchase the ammunition necessary for officers to shoot very often. Required qualification is once or twice a year for the average police officer with 50 shots per qualification and passing scores are somewhat surprisingly low. Many officers shoot more frequently, but at their own cost and on their own time and I am sure that many seek additional training to become true experts, but that is not true for the vast majority of officers.

In one military unit I was in back in the day, we expended over 100,000 rounds of 5.56 mm ammunition and another 200,000 rounds of 9mm ammunition in just three months. And there were less than 50 of us in that organization.

One of my Detroit Police Department cousins, who is a sergeant, says she typically goes to the range, either for annual qualification or a single training session, twice a year. She's not about to buy her ammunition for her service weapon on her own, she says. She's been DPD since 1998 and has never pulled her weapon in the line of duty, even. Her original intent was to do three to five years on the big city department before landing what she called a "cushy suburban police officer job." But for various reasons, she's stuck it out in Detroit. Something that makes me question her sanity, to be quite honest. ;-)

On the other hand, I have several other friends who serve as police officers, and they train on and fire their weapons more frequently, though most purchase their own ammunition, when given permission to do so by their departments.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
klehner wrote:
307trout wrote:
klehner wrote:

LOL, no. Just, no.

And most school districts are rolling in so much money that ongoing training and qualification for teachers shouldn't be a problem at all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article written by the teacher is based upon a false premise. Nobody is suggesting that it is her RESPONSIBILITY to shoot the attacker dead, even if she CHOOSES to be armed. She could, and has the right to, do absolutely nothing even if she is armed and present during an attack. This is yet another example of the lack of understanding of the role of CCW compared to LEO or military.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

This is an excellent point and one I had never even considered. Since a lot of the discussion is about "killing a lot of people quickly," banning specific speed of fire could make very good sense.

Thank you for bringing something new to the discussion. If someone else had brought it up, I have not seen it.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cholla wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

-------------------

And Priorities USA and the other liberal groups aren't lobbying? That betrays a lack of understanding about what goes on in Washington DC.

Also, I'm not really sure the so-called "majority of Americans" actually disapprove of gun rights. It's all in how the questions are put to them, because two surveys in the aftermath of this high school shooting show, on one hand, that there's been no movement in support for additional gun control measures while another survey, on the other hand, shows a large movement. So which is it?

The above is why we don't usually legislate by polling when it comes to the Bill of Rights, of which the Second Amendment is a part. Pro-gun and anti-gun lobbies and groups can, of course, cite any poll they feel suits their purposes to push a point.

I never said those other groups aren't lobbyists. Their positions are more in line with the majority of Americans. The NRA is not:

"Support for universal background checks, a mandatory waiting period for firearm purchases and an assault weapon ban came in at 97%, 83% and 67%, respectively. Sixty-seven percent of respondents also said it is currently too easy to buy a gun in the U.S., and three-quarters said Congress needs to do more to reduce gun violence."

http://time.com/5167216/americans-gun-control-support-poll-2018/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Cherrycracker wrote:
klehner wrote:
307trout wrote:

That's what you got out of her column? Yikes. How about all the things she listed that could go wrong with someone who *does* choose to carry a gun? Or are they all 007-level killers?

That could happen every day with the 14.5M CCW holders in the US. But, it doesn't.

Look, I am not comfortable with "affirmatively arming" teachers. But, I think guys like Aaron Feis should be able to shoot back, rather than just serve as a human shield, if they so choose.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Both parents are teachers and so is wife. 2/3 would carry if allowed. 2/3 have taken classes and trained regularly.

I'll see your anecdotalism and raise. I am a teacher. Of the dozens and dozens that I know, I do not know of a single one who would ever think that this is a good idea. The entire "I want an armed teacher around when this happens" ignores the basic probability that it is extraordinarily unlikely to happen in any given school, and that you have now created an environment in which way more loaded guns are in easy access on school grounds.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 22, 18 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That could happen every day with the 14.5M CCW holders in the US. But, it doesn't.

Any idea how many of them carry a weapon at all times on their person? Just wondering. I would assume that a very large number of them don't. Do we know?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Both parents are teachers and so is wife. 2/3 would carry if allowed. 2/3 have taken classes and trained regularly.

I'll see you anecdotalism and raise. I am a teacher. Of the dozens and dozens that I know, I do not know of a single one who would ever think that this is a good idea. The entire "I want an armed teacher around when this happens" ignores the basic probability that it is extraordinarily unlikely to happen in any given school, and that you have now created an environment in which way more loaded guns are in easy access on school grounds.

And I believe that you should have the right to abstain if you so choose.

If your CCW is "easily available" to anyone other than yourself, regardless of where you are, you are doing it really, really wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

This is an excellent point and one I had never even considered. Since a lot of the discussion is about "killing a lot of people quickly," banning specific speed of fire could make very good sense.

Thank you for bringing something new to the discussion.

I hate semantics and the word games they lead to. I own guns. But I don't see the benefit of weapons that inflict mayhem. I was wondering why we couldn't limit the number of rounds a firearm could discharge within say a minute. Then it wouldn't matter what you called them. It wouldn't matter how you did it (via a bump stock, etc.). My gut tells me it would probably even pass Constitutional muster. As I've stated previously, I think all of us support limits on 'arms', we just disagree where to draw the lines.

Quote:
If someone else had brought it up, I have not seen it.

Huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Thank you for bringing something new to the discussion.

I hate semantics and the word games they lead to. I own guns. But I don't see the benefit of weapons that inflict mayhem. I was wondering why we couldn't limit the number of rounds a firearm could discharge within say a minute. Then it wouldn't matter what you called them. It wouldn't matter how you did it (via a bump stock, etc.). My gut tells me it would probably even pass Constitutional muster. As I've stated previously, I think all of us support limits on 'arms', we just disagree where to draw the lines.

Quote:
If someone else had brought it up, I have not seen it.

Huh?

I have never heard of anyone mentioning this type of resolution, speed of fire, and that is what I meant.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

I'm wondering how this would be accomplished. Any semi auto, including DA revolvers, is limited only the speed of the finger pulling the trigger. I guess making all guns single action would do the trick.

I would hate to have a limit on the rate of fire with the gun I carry in the mountains when bowhunting elk. A 10mm handgun is woefully underpowered to stop a grizzly bear so I'm planning to send a lot of shots as fast as I can in his, more likely her, direction and hope that she quits advancing before I quit breathing. I used to carry a big revolver in Ruger .480 but that thing was a beast (heavy) and only carried 6 rounds. The Glock 20 I carry now offers much less energy (and recoil) than the revolver, but I get 16 tries to deliver an effective projectile.

The problem being that the characteristics that make a weapon better for self defense, also tend to make them more efficient to do harm.
Last edited by: 307trout: Feb 22, 18 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

I'm wondering how this would be accomplished. Any semi auto, including DA revolvers, is limited only the speed of the finger pulling the trigger. I guess making all guns single action would do the trick.

I would hate to have a limit on the rate of fire with the gun I carry in the mountains when bowhunting elk. A 10mm handgun is woefully underpowered to stop a grizzly bear so I'm planning to send a lot of shots as fast as I can in his, more likely her, direction and hope that she quits advancing before I quit breathing. I used to carry a big revolver in Ruger .480 but that thing was a beast (heavy) and only carried 6 rounds. The Glock 20 I carry now offers much less energy (and recoil) than the revolver, but I get 16 tries to deliver an effective projectile.

The problem being that the characteristics that make a weapon better for self defense, also tend to make them more efficient to do harm.

I'm a hunter too. I own handguns, shotguns, rifles. So let's explore this. Would you need 100 rounds per minute to defend against the bear? Seems like a lot to me. Maybe 30 rounds per minute would be sufficient.

It is just an idea. Trying to find the balance between the need to protect yourself and the desire to avoid mayhem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I haven't had to shoot a bear in self defense, my impression is that at that moment, as many rounds as possible as quickly and accurately as possible will be my only desire. Obviously, it's an infrequent circumstance, but I guess that could be said about almost any of the scenarios we're debating.
Quote Reply

Prev Next