Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
NCtri wrote:
spot wrote:
NCtri wrote:
spot wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Yes. What's the problem?

This happens all the time.

Does it really? When was the last time we banned something previously legal to own, that made somebody a felon for keeping what they had legally purchased?

Other countries have done it. Really not rocket science.

Other countries didn’t have a constitutional amendment that gave people the right to keep and bear arms, either.

I really love how some of you think that this would be a piece of cake, that we could ban a type of weapon and that it would be a relatively simple matter to collect them all up with nary a whimper.

Great countries do great things. I'll agree that US citizens may not be up to the task. Following laws is hard.

This thread has thus far been a quite civil discussion with real thought put into things; you, on the other hand, seem to just want to engage in snark. So, please carry on, I won’t be responding to you further.

Cool, I win.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Those rifles are in no way, shape, or form a true assault rifle. If someone were to bring an AR-15 to an infantry unit and claim that he had an assault rifle and was good to go when it came to going out on a patrol, he would be laughed off the face of the planet, at minimum. Probably he'd also get a blanket party for his stupidity.

but they are marketed as such. which means those who buy those guns are the stupidest, sorriest losers on the planet. i take that to be what you're saying. i agree with you.

I have many good friends who own AR-15 or similar rifles, and they are anything but what you just called them. I take what you mean to be tongue-in-cheek, at least I hope that's how you meant it.

my response was a little chippy, yes. if you look at post 159 in the can slowtwitch compromise thread you'll see a distillation of my view, which is that these guns have been advertised, marketed, couched as "tactical" weapons. what is a tactical weapon? in this case it's a weapon that has been promised to be the very weapon you'd need if you were dropped into the zone by a helicopter, and if you think i'm being hyperbolic i'll point you to that gun maker's website. look at the design, the marketing, the imaging in the marketing. these guns are designed to be the street legal versions of sniper rifles.

so, you can't on the one hand stay silent as the nikolas cruzes of the world are marketed and sold a gun for killing people, and then after nikolas cruz buys it and uses it as advertised say no, these aren't actually that sort of gun at all. basically what BK is saying is that they're a very, very faint imitation of a true "tactical" weapon and no one who actually buys one thinks that's what he's buying. i think cruz thought that was what he was buying. he bought this. instead of this.

what do your friends think they are buying? a faint imitation?

you can't have it every which way.

I have no idea what they thought they were buying. All I know is that they are generally guys that really enjoy shooting and have a variety of weapons with which to enjoy that sport. I should note that they are all military vets, and perhaps they just like the feel of a military style weapon. Some of them compete in what are called 3-gun competitions which include a “tactical” rifle part. I think that for the most part, it just boils down to fun for them. Having personally shot many rounds through an M-16, I can vouch for the fact that it is, in fact, fun, if you enjoy shooting.

Note that I am not in any way discussing how these weapons are marketed. While there are people who no doubt buy these things because they are soldier wannabes (like those morons open carrying in Virginia) and think that they are all tacti-cool by having one, there are also plenty of folks who buy them just because they enjoy shooting them.

you and i aren't going to agree on this. your friends are going to lose out on their ability to buy these guns, and a lot more, because they didn't try to be part of the solution. this is going to go the same way as cigarettes. these kinds of guns are going to be recognized as the hazards they are to society because of the free hand these companies have been given to market weapons of death and mayhem as weapons of death and mayhem. when the pendulum swings the other way, it's going to swing hard.

I’m not sure what we’re not agreeing on. You made a very insulting post about what kind of people buy these kinds of weapons, and I tried to inform you that plenty of folks do so not out of a desire to own a weapon that can kill a bunch of people, but because they are in fact fun to shoot and that plenty of people enjoy shooting them. What “solution” are you talking about, that my friend should have been a part of?

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
NCtri wrote:
spot wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Yes. What's the problem?

Does it really? When was the last time we banned something previously legal to own, that made somebody a felon for keeping what they had legally purchased?

Other countries didn’t have a constitutional amendment that gave people the right to keep and bear arms, either.

I really love how some of you think that this would be a piece of cake, that we could ban a type of weapon and that it would be a relatively simple matter to collect them all up with nary a whimper.

Can you yell "FIRE" in a movie theatre without consequences? What about 1st Amendment rights? Just because it's a right does mean there's no ability to limit aspects of that right. The 2nd Amendment does not say you can keep and bare any arms you want. So if we want to be a strict contitutionalist, then sure, you can keep and bare any musket you want.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
spot wrote:
NCtri wrote:
spot wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Yes. What's the problem?

Can you yell "FIRE" in a movie theatre without consequences? What about 1st Amendment rights? Just because it's a right does mean there's no ability to limit aspects of that right. The 2nd Amendment does not say you can keep and bare any arms you want. So if we want to be a strict contitutionalist, then sure, you can keep and bare any musket you want.

Dude, this is snark........don't expect a response. I am always amazed when people think others won't follow the law if they change. Its like a vigilante society approach.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you and i aren't going to agree on this. your friends are going to lose out on their ability to buy these guns, and a lot more, because they didn't try to be part of the solution. this is going to go the same way as cigarettes. these kinds of guns are going to be recognized as the hazards they are to society because of the free hand these companies have been given to market weapons of death and mayhem as weapons of death and mayhem. when the pendulum swings the other way, it's going to swing hard.

Is it possible that we are on the furthest end of the pendulum swing (towards gun restriction in the opinions of the American public) already? School shootings plastered all over the 24 hour newscycle, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas... How much worse can it get? Yet I have not seen a legitimate attempt to make major changes. Politically grandstanding "do something without really doing anything" types of changes, yes, but I haven't seen anybody taking a serious swing at the meat of this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
spot wrote:
NCtri wrote:
spot wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Yes. What's the problem?

Actually, the 2nd Amendment says absolutely nothing about muskets, so nice try. And, a lot of you folks are setting up a strawman argument that I’m not making. Why is it so hard to understand that a certain segment of the population that owns assault rifles may not be inclined to give them up without a fight? That is all I’m saying.

Last edited by: spot: Feb 21, 18 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Those rifles are in no way, shape, or form a true assault rifle. If someone were to bring an AR-15 to an infantry unit and claim that he had an assault rifle and was good to go when it came to going out on a patrol, he would be laughed off the face of the planet, at minimum. Probably he'd also get a blanket party for his stupidity.

but they are marketed as such. which means those who buy those guns are the stupidest, sorriest losers on the planet. i take that to be what you're saying. i agree with you.

I have many good friends who own AR-15 or similar rifles, and they are anything but what you just called them. I take what you mean to be tongue-in-cheek, at least I hope that's how you meant it.

my response was a little chippy, yes. if you look at post 159 in the can slowtwitch compromise thread you'll see a distillation of my view, which is that these guns have been advertised, marketed, couched as "tactical" weapons. what is a tactical weapon? in this case it's a weapon that has been promised to be the very weapon you'd need if you were dropped into the zone by a helicopter, and if you think i'm being hyperbolic i'll point you to that gun maker's website. look at the design, the marketing, the imaging in the marketing. these guns are designed to be the street legal versions of sniper rifles.

so, you can't on the one hand stay silent as the nikolas cruzes of the world are marketed and sold a gun for killing people, and then after nikolas cruz buys it and uses it as advertised say no, these aren't actually that sort of gun at all. basically what BK is saying is that they're a very, very faint imitation of a true "tactical" weapon and no one who actually buys one thinks that's what he's buying. i think cruz thought that was what he was buying. he bought this. instead of this.

I have no idea what they thought they were buying. All I know is that they are generally guys that really enjoy shooting and have a variety of weapons with which to enjoy that sport. I should note that they are all military vets, and perhaps they just like the feel of a military style weapon. Some of them compete in what are called 3-gun competitions which include a “tactical” rifle part. I think that for the most part, it just boils down to fun for them. Having personally shot many rounds through an M-16, I can vouch for the fact that it is, in fact, fun, if you enjoy shooting.

Note that I am not in any way discussing how these weapons are marketed. While there are people who no doubt buy these things because they are soldier wannabes (like those morons open carrying in Virginia) and think that they are all tacti-cool by having one, there are also plenty of folks who buy them just because they enjoy shooting them.

I’m not sure what we’re not agreeing on. You made a very insulting post about what kind of people buy these kinds of weapons, and I tried to inform you that plenty of folks do so not out of a desire to own a weapon that can kill a bunch of people, but because they are in fact fun to shoot and that plenty of people enjoy shooting them. What “solution” are you talking about, that my friend should have been a part of?

your friend might say, "the marketing of these weapons is sick. it's a sickness. it's a cancer. as an owner of a tactical rifle i'm ashamed that i'm part of this culture; part of this industry. i can no longer stand by without stating publicly my own shame, my own complicity. we can change the gun culture in america while preserving the right of responsible gun ownership. this will be a big ship to turn, but i'm pledging to lend my voice to real, tangible, granular steps to turn this ship."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

your friend might say, "the marketing of these weapons is sick. it's a sickness. it's a cancer. as an owner of a tactical rifle i'm ashamed that i'm part of this culture; part of this industry. i can no longer stand by without stating publicly my own shame, my own complicity. we can change the gun culture in america while preserving the right of responsible gun ownership. this will be a big ship to turn, but i'm pledging to lend my voice to real, tangible, granular steps to turn this ship."

Seriously? Anybody who owns a “tactical” rifle bears the shame of mass shootings? That by being part of that “culture” they are somehow complicit?

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
spot wrote:
NCtri wrote:
spot wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Yes. What's the problem?

Actually, the 2nd Amendment says absolutely nothing about muskets, so nice try. And, a lot of you folks are setting up a strawman argument that I’m not making. Why is it so hard to understand that a certain segment of the population that owns assault rifles may not be inclined to give them up without a fight? That is all I’m saying.

I know that but it was the weapon of the day. Surely you don't believe Founding Fathers knew what an AR-15 was and therefore kept the 2nd vague? What's the strawman, I'm just pointing out that there are limits put on our rights now and additional limits can be made? I don't believe anyone thinks it would be easy for someone to give up their assault rifle. Just because it wouldn't be easy doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Seriously? Anybody who owns a “tactical” rifle bears the shame of mass shootings? That by being part of that “culture” they are somehow complicit?

well, you asked.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

well, you asked.

Answer the question. Own it. Don’t cop out. Just come out and say it. Tell me how guys who served their country honorably for many years, to include combat time, are in some way responsible or complicit for some nut job shooting up a school just because they own a weapon similar to that used in that shooting.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

well, you asked.

Answer the question. Own it. Don’t cop out. Just come out and say it. Tell me how guys who served their country honorably for many years, to include combat time, are in some way responsible or complicit for some nut job shooting up a school just because they own a weapon similar to that used in that shooting.

i'm not coping out, bro. i did come out and say it. the tactical rifle industry is an abortion. it's a public menace. it's a public shame. yes, those guns are fun. go have fun.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
spot wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
spot wrote:
NCtri wrote:
spot wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Yes. What's the problem?

I know that but it was the weapon of the day. Surely you don't believe Founding Fathers knew what an AR-15 was and therefore kept the 2nd vague? What's the strawman, I'm just pointing out that there are limits put on our rights now and additional limits can be made? I don't believe anyone thinks it would be easy for someone to give up their assault rifle. Just because it wouldn't be easy doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Pointing out that the 2nd Amendment says nothing about muskets has pretty much zero to do with AR-15s. Asking if I believe that the Founding Fathers knew about AR-15s is again, a strawman that I never made. The 2nd Amendment says that the right to keep and bear (not bare) arms shall not be infringed. Period. Says nothing about arms types. And the strawman is that I’m saying that because a ban would be difficult means that it shouldn’t be done. I never said that, I’m pointing out to certain posters who claim that it’s “not rocket science” that it wouldn’t be that easy.

Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
What law could be passed to prevent this from happening in the future?

You and everyone else in America has no idea so why not try passing something that *might* work?

I mean, wouldn't it be better to try something like banning "guns that can kill a lot of people in a short amount of time" (God forbid that I use the wrong word) even if it's just to appease the people that are getting so angry because of no action. Doesn't anyone want to at least try living in a country where there can be some middle ground on contentious issues?

You do realize that Columbine happened during a time when there was an assault weapon ban in place. But that doesn't mean that a ban wouldn't help. Interesting article. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/...ons-b_b_9740352.html

It's funny, this gun control thing, because here's who typically goes to prison for violating gun laws: Minorities. In 2011, blacks (49.6%) and Hispanics (20.6%) went to jail for firearms violation. Whites came in at 27.6%, far less than the combined black/Hispanic number. Those numbers have probably held steady, or even increased for minorities, since then.

Here's how gun laws work: get caught violating them and you go to prison. Just for owning an illegal weapon -- not using it in an illegal manner, such as threatening someone with it -- you risk a significant years-long prison term. So once again, just as with drugs, we seem to have laws that disproportionately harm the poor and minorities. And that's precisely what gun control would do in this instance, if the more draconian control measures advocated by some here were to be enacted.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

well, you asked.

i'm not coping out, bro. i did come out and say it. the tactical rifle industry is an abortion. it's a public menace. it's a public shame. yes, those guns are fun. go have fun.

Wow. Can I assume that since adverstising glamorizes alcohol, and that there is a serious problem with alcohol abuse in this country, that anybody who consumes alcohol is complicit in alcohol abuse? Anybody who imbibes is complicit in each and every death caused by an intoxicated driver? Do you scorn and shame those around you who drink because of their reprehensible behavior that encourages alcohol abuse?

Quote | Reply
You mean sorta like what this guy did?

"I will be the change I want to see in this world. If our lawmakers will continue to close their eyes and open their wallets, I will lead by example."

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Feb 21, 18 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

well, you asked.

Wow. Can I assume that since adverstising glamorizes alcohol, and that there is a serious problem with alcohol abuse in this country, that anybody who consumes alcohol is complicit in alcohol abuse? Anybody who imbibes is complicit in each and every death caused by an intoxicated driver? Do you scorn and shame those around you who drink because of their reprehensible behavior that encourages alcohol abuse?

i own a car. i don't drink. so, am i part of the drunk driving problem? perhaps so, if i'm unwilling to recognize that my "weapon" is used by people less responsible than i am. so, how about this: breathalyzers in every car, phased in over a decade. fine by me. anything past .07 and your car won't start. i'm happy to pay my share to make this happen. if i'm unwilling to help solve a social problem of this magnitude then yeah, i should share some of the shame.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
spot wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
spot wrote:
NCtri wrote:
spot wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Yes. What's the problem?

Pointing out that the 2nd Amendment says nothing about muskets has pretty much zero to do with AR-15s. Asking if I believe that the Founding Fathers knew about AR-15s is again, a strawman that I never made. The 2nd Amendment says that the right to keep and bear (not bare) arms shall not be infringed. Period. Says nothing about arms types. And the strawman is that I’m saying that because a ban would be difficult means that it shouldn’t be done. I never said that, I’m pointing out to certain posters who claim that it’s “not rocket science” that it wouldn’t be that easy.

Most of the Founders had an easy familiarity with firearms and the ever-evolving nature of gun technology. Many even knew of the semi-automatic firearms of the era, including the Girandoni 20-round repeating rifle. It was air-operated (making it an air rifle) and it had a 20-round tubular magazine and could fire off 30 rounds before its air reservoir had to be refilled. It was gravity fed, meaning the next round in the magazine would fall into the chamber as long as the rifle was held at the correct angle. The explorers Lewis and Clark carried the rifle with them on their historic expedition.

So to say the Founders would never have countenanced the murder-death-kill scary black rifles and guns of today, had they known about them (because the musket was the "only" rifle of the time) isn't accurate. Many of them were military men and saw and used a wide variety of firearms and even the ones who weren't military were quite comfortable with the idea of a well-armed citizenry.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

well, you asked.

i own a car. i don't drink. so, am i part of the drunk driving problem? perhaps so, if i'm unwilling to recognize that my "weapon" is used by people less responsible than i am. so, how about this: breathalyzers in every car, phased in over a decade. fine by me. anything past .07 and your car won't start. i'm happy to pay my share to make this happen. if i'm unwilling to help solve a social problem of this magnitude then yeah, i should share some of the shame.

Not what I asked. I’m asking if you have the same amount of scorn for those who drink that you do for people who own assault rifles. Seems to me that the situation is quite similar in terms of advertising and glamorizing something that nobody really “needs,” and yet is causal to far more deaths per year than assault rifles.

Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
You mean sorta like what this guy did?

"I will be the change I want to see in this world. If our lawmakers will continue to close their eyes and open their wallets, I will lead by example."

fckn a. thank you. made my day.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:

spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spot wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

well, you asked.

Not what I asked. I’m asking if you have the same amount of scorn for those who drink that you do for people who own assault rifles. Seems to me that the situation is quite similar in terms of advertising and glamorizing something that nobody really “needs,” and yet is causal to far more deaths per year than assault rifles.

let me see if i can do this justice. if a brand of alcohol was designed and marketed as a way to get somebody drunk and prostrate, so you could commit sexual assault, and a small but significant user group actually took the manufacturer's hyberbolic message seriously, and did buy the brand of alcohol for that very purpose, and put that into practice, and the product produced the advertised result then yeah, everybody who buys that brand should at a minimum stand against the culture created by that sort of manufacture and marketing.

that's the closest i can come. i spent some time surfing tactical rifle websites, both sales and user communities. maybe you oughta give that a go, see what you see. see if you think that's a benign message getting sent. i'm beyond certain that the large majority of folks who buy these guns find ways to sidestep the marketing and the culture that the marketing breeds. these users themselves heap scorn on the tacticool. the problem is that the legitimate owner of this kind of gun knows that there's something very wrong with this culture. as slowguy points out, guns have been part of our fabric forever. but mass shootings have not. those who patronize the industry who supports this culture have a responsibility. whether they accept it is on them. i'm out.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

And that was after a few anti-gun groups bused a group of teens from Stoneman Douglas High School up there. I guess they were figuring the pressure from having those teens in the chamber would convince Florida lawmakers to ban AR-style rifles (they're not "assault rifles," which is a term of art created in the mid-1990s).

Gun manufacturers used that term before the 1990s. Guns & Ammo published a book called "Assault Rifles" in 1982. But that doesn't fit with your narrative, does it?

It wasn't a book, it was an issue of the magazine. It was prior to the 1986 FOPA, so it included select fire weapons (i.e., "full auto") available for civilian sale. Those were dubbed "assault rifles."

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
if a brand of alcohol was designed and marketed as a way to get somebody drunk and prostrate, so you could commit sexual assault, and a small but significant user group actually took the manufacturer's hyberbolic message seriously, and did buy the brand of alcohol for that very purpose, and put that into practice, and the product produced the advertised result then yeah, everybody who buys that brand should at a minimum stand against the culture created by that sort of manufacture and marketing.

that's the closest i can come.

Except, no matter how much you hate the marketing and product in this case, there aren't any gun manufacturers designing and marketing AR-15s, or any other weapon, as a great tool to go out and shoot up schools.

Quote:
as slowguy points out, guns have been part of our fabric forever. but mass shootings have not. those who patronize the industry who supports this culture have a responsibility. whether they accept it is on them. i'm out.

I dislike the "tactical" shit as much as anyone, but you have yet to demonstrate, really in any way, that the shooters in these school incidents bought or used their weapons in an attempt to be tactical badasses. I get that it bugs you, but just because it bugs you doesn't make it a contributing factor to the issue of mass shootings.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a long thread with a lot of replies so I am not addressing anyone except the OP...

It is fucking crazy to think that the solution to your problems is to arm teachers. Fucking ludicrous. Insane.

Just. Fucking. Crazy.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Senate Committee Considers Taking Up Bill to Arm Teachers [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
if a brand of alcohol was designed and marketed as a way to get somebody drunk and prostrate, so you could commit sexual assault, and a small but significant user group actually took the manufacturer's hyberbolic message seriously, and did buy the brand of alcohol for that very purpose, and put that into practice, and the product produced the advertised result then yeah, everybody who buys that brand should at a minimum stand against the culture created by that sort of manufacture and marketing.

that's the closest i can come.

Except, no matter how much you hate the marketing and product in this case, there aren't any gun manufacturers designing and marketing AR-15s, or any other weapon, as a great tool to go out and shoot up schools.

Quote:
as slowguy points out, guns have been part of our fabric forever. but mass shootings have not. those who patronize the industry who supports this culture have a responsibility. whether they accept it is on them. i'm out.

I dislike the "tactical" shit as much as anyone, but you have yet to demonstrate, really in any way, that the shooters in these school incidents bought or used their weapons in an attempt to be tactical badasses. I get that it bugs you, but just because it bugs you doesn't make it a contributing factor to the issue of mass shootings.

i think they all think they are tactical badasses. paddock especially, but not exclusively. the problem is the packaging, messaging, marketing, the user culture that's sprung up (the slowtwitches of mayhem weapons), more than the actual weapon. one could do the job just as well with a semi auto hunting rifle with a pretty solid walnut stock but it just... doesn't... feel as good mass killing with that weapon. which is why nobody uses it.

you don't think there's anything to see here. you think these mass shooters are all buying and using specifically this class of weapon for some other reason, and that's it's the responsibility of all of us who note this coincidence to prove to you the nexus. agree to disagree.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next