Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Here's the GOP memo [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
saltman wrote:
spot wrote:

So, taking this memo purely at face value, is nobody the least bit concerned that a US citizen was spied on by US intelligence based completely on evidence paid for political opponents?

Again, I'm just reading what's in the memo, and FBI Director Wray has gone on record as saying what's in it has been cherry picked and taken out of context, but assuming there is at least some legitimacy to this, I am a bit bothered by the notion that one could use information gathered for political purposes to spy on a US citizen inside the United States.

George

Where the intelligence came from is much less concerning to me than whether the intelligence is legitimate enough to be concerned. Furthermore, the memo does not is indicate that the FISA warrant is based completely on evidence paid for by political opponents. I thought it was widely reported that Page was on the FBI radar as early as 2013.

BTW - Where are all these FISA hawks defending muslim/American rights?

So you don’t care if information was illegally gathered, as long as it is accurate? That sort of thing would go against a LOT of judicial rulings in this country.

Shhhh. You don’t want to point out anything that’s against his narrative. He’ll call you a racist.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here's what I think of all this. And who's got the popcorn? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Radar = Page’s name came up as recruitment target in a wire tapped conversation by the FBI between Russian spies in 2013. He was interviewed at that point in time by the FBI. Page subsequently has taken numerous business trips to and from Moscow as recently as 2016. In the middle of all of this he managed to insert himself (or be inserted) into the Trump campaign.

That’s what the fuck that means.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
Radar = Page’s name came up as recruitment target in a wire tapped conversation by the FBI between Russian spies in 2013. He was interviewed at that point in time by the FBI. Page subsequently has taken numerous business trips to and from Moscow as recently as 2016. In the middle of all of this he managed to insert himself (or be inserted) into the Trump campaign.

And with all of this surveillance he has been charged with or indicted for what? I must've missed that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) Do you expect 100% hit rate on people being investigated?

B) He isn’t out of the woods.

This is honestly nonsensical, these rebuttals. Seriously if his name was Muhammed and the country in question was Iran, you fuckers would be asking why he isnt in Guantanamo. I cannot fucking imagine the shitshow this country would be in if Muhammed then also worked on Hillary’s campaign.

I honestly expect nothing of this board, but holy motherfuck is it off the deep end these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
saltman wrote:
spot wrote:

So, taking this memo purely at face value, is nobody the least bit concerned that a US citizen was spied on by US intelligence based completely on evidence paid for political opponents?

Again, I'm just reading what's in the memo, and FBI Director Wray has gone on record as saying what's in it has been cherry picked and taken out of context, but assuming there is at least some legitimacy to this, I am a bit bothered by the notion that one could use information gathered for political purposes to spy on a US citizen inside the United States.

George

Where the intelligence came from is much less concerning to me than whether the intelligence is legitimate enough to be concerned. Furthermore, the memo does not is indicate that the FISA warrant is based completely on evidence paid for by political opponents. I thought it was widely reported that Page was on the FBI radar as early as 2013.

BTW - Where are all these FISA hawks defending muslim/American rights?

So you don’t care if information was illegally gathered, as long as it is accurate? That sort of thing would go against a LOT of judicial rulings in this country.

What information was gathered illegally? Or are you speaking hypothetically?

You must also understand the FBI can't respond, because other information they may have used for the FISA warrant is classified, so they can't come out and tell the public what else may have been included in the FISA filing.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flipping back and forth between Fox News and MSNBC tonight is like an episode of the Twilight Zone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
saltman wrote:

And with all of this surveillance he has been charged with or indicted for what? I must've missed that.

What's your point? That If he hasn't yet been charged then it's all a giant conspiracy?!

Page was being investigated well before the Steele dossier. McCabe testified that it was not the sole source of evidence for the FISA application (which, ironically, the GOP memo supports) and the courts WERE made aware there were political connections to the Steele dossier (originally Republican and then Democratic funded). So it is not true that the court was unaware of the political connections, and again, the Steele dossier was by no means the sole source of intelligence that was being used in the FISA applications. And it may very well be that there was information in the Steele dossier that HAD been corroborated. We don't know and likely never will because it's classified information. The FISA applications (there were 4) each time had to show the surveillance was yielding results, so the FBI must have gathered new information in its investigation that was sufficient for the subsequent applications to be granted.

John McCain said it best:

“The latest attacks against the FBI and Department of Justice serve no American interests ― no party’s, no President’s, only Putin’s. The American people deserve to know all the facts surrounding Russia’s ongoing efforts to subvert our democracy, which is why Special Counsel Mueller’s investigation must proceed unimpeded. Our nation’s elected officials, including the president, must stop looking at this investigation through the lens of politics and manufacturing political sideshows. If we continue to undermine our own rule of law, we are doing Putin’s job for him.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Flipping back and forth between Fox News and MSNBC tonight is like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

No kidding. It's really, really depressing, knowing that most people will get their information on this issue entirely from one source or the other, and they're operating in entirely separate universes right now, and both seem convinced the opposition party has just committed or enabled the worst crime in the history of American politics.

Hannity was blathering on about how this is sufficient to dismiss Mueller and have all charges dropped against Manafort and Flynn. I mean, holy shit.

I've watched most of the coverage on CNN, and it's no secret where their hosts stand on the issue, but at least they're bringing on panel guests with expertise on the subject and are making sound logical and technical arguments.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Here's the GOP memo [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Here's what I think of all this. And who's got the popcorn? ;-)

playa

Word. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
SH wrote:
My initial $.02

It all depends on your prior biases. If you think that Trump and the Pubs are evil then this is just some subterfuge to throw everyone off their obvious treasonous guilt. If you believe the Dems would stop at nothing to get rid of Trump then it would be patently obvious that this is exactly the kind of thing we could expect.

I assume you meant "the Dems, the FBI, the FISC judges, and the DoJ", right?

Sure. I guess I could have wrote down all Pubs (and their associated institutions) that are treasonous as well. It seems like we're making a pretty good list in some of the other threads.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shame in all of this is that everyday americans believe MSNBC is the leftist equivalent of Fox News.

When all is said and done there will be a clear right and wrong side. I will bet dollars to donuts that the MSNBC will have been closer to the truth of the matter tha Fox News by an extremely wide margin.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
DJRed wrote:
saltman wrote:

What's your point? That If he hasn't yet been charged then it's all a giant conspiracy?!

Page was being investigated well before the Steele dossier. McCabe testified that it was not the sole source of evidence for the FISA application (which, ironically, the GOP memo supports) and the courts WERE made aware there were political connections to the Steele dossier (originally Republican and then Democratic funded). So it is not true that the court was unaware of the political connections, and again, the Steele dossier was by no means the sole source of intelligence that was being used in the FISA applications. And it may very well be that there was information in the Steele dossier that HAD been corroborated. We don't know and likely never will because it's classified information. The FISA applications (there were 4) each time had to show the surveillance was yielding results, so the FBI must have gathered new information in its investigation that was sufficient for the subsequent applications to be granted.

“The latest attacks against the FBI and Department of Justice serve no American interests ― no party’s, no President’s, only Putin’s. The American people deserve to know all the facts surrounding Russia’s ongoing efforts to subvert our democracy, which is why Special Counsel Mueller’s investigation must proceed unimpeded. Our nation’s elected officials, including the president, must stop looking at this investigation through the lens of politics and manufacturing political sideshows. If we continue to undermine our own rule of law, we are doing Putin’s job for him.”

My point is that the rule of law was not followed in this case. Period. We have processes set up in the US so those we trust with power can not operate unencumbered and trample civil rights. Dem, repub, we have civil rights.

In this country, we cannot go fishing at the expense of trampling civil rights and then say it's OK if we find something. Like I said above, think stop-and-frisk.

I don't care if they find out this guy is Putin. If they wanted to spy on him, they should have followed the rules.

As you aptly point out, like McCain said, "If we continue to undermine our own rule of law, we are doing Putin’s job for him."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

This is honestly nonsensical, these rebuttals. Seriously if his name was Muhammed and the country in question was Iran, you fuckers would be asking why he isnt in Guantanamo. I cannot fucking imagine the shitshow this country would be in if Muhammed then also worked on Hillary’s campaign.

I honestly expect nothing of this board, but holy motherfuck is it off the deep end these days.

1. I expect 100% following the rules if we are to spy on people.
  2. I don't care if he's not out of the woods. I am not going to justify or defend this based on what is found or not. Spying on Americans without proper cause is wrong. Period.
  3. Muslims should also not be spied on without proper cause and documentation.

Anything else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
DJRed wrote:
saltman wrote:

My point is that the rule of law was not followed in this case. Period. We have processes set up in the US so those we trust with power can not operate unencumbered and trample civil rights. Dem, repub, we have civil rights.

In this country, we cannot go fishing at the expense of trampling civil rights and then say it's OK if we find something. Like I said above, think stop-and-frisk.

I don't care if they find out this guy is Putin. If they wanted to spy on him, they should have followed the rules.

As you aptly point out, like McCain said, "If we continue to undermine our own rule of law, we are doing Putin’s job for him."

Please can you clarify exactly who broke what law by doing what, because you seem certain someone broke a law?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
saltman wrote:

1. I expect 100% following the rules if we are to spy on people.
  2. I don't care if he's not out of the woods. I am not going to justify or defend this based on what is found or not. Spying on Americans without proper cause is wrong. Period.
  3. Muslims should also not be spied on without proper cause and documentation.

Anything else?

Please expand on "without proper cause."

Have you read the FISA warrants? Apparently not even Nunes has read them, with is frankly incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

So what. None of that would have been sufficient for a FISA warrant.

The FBI has already testified to congress that the FISA warrant would not have been requested if not for the Steele Dossier. So, but for the dossier that Hillary paid for, there is no basis to request spying. Had the FBI informed the court that the dossier was the product of political opposition research AND that the FBI had not verified any information in the dossier, the court would never have granted the FISA warrant.

So the FBI dupes a court -- there will be sanctions coming on that -- to spy on someone who is campaigning for President. The Watergate burglary is a petty crime in comparison.

With Watergate the republicans eventually turned on Nixon. The democrats will turn on Obama and the FBI on this too. Soon. Many people will soon be embarrassed by their blind faith in the Obama administration.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
The shame in all of this is that everyday americans believe MSNBC is the leftist equivalent of Fox News.

When all is said and done there will be a clear right and wrong side. I will bet dollars to donuts that the MSNBC will have been closer to the truth of the matter tha Fox News by an extremely wide margin.

MSNBC offers more opinion than any other "news" network on the air
https://www.forbes.com/...by-far/#7c6da3855f8c
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

Absolutely, 100% true. Bet on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
saltman wrote:

"Opinion" does not equal bias and misinformation. It can mean that (Fox News), but doesn't have to mean that.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
saltman wrote:

"Opinion" does not equal bias and misinformation. It can mean that (Fox News), but doesn't have to mean that.

Where this is concerned I think there are 3 kinds of people: those who think Fox News is evil, those who think CNN/MSNBC is evil, and those who see them both for what they are. And what they each are is an avenue through which advertising is sold. Neither of them provide a completely unbiased look at things because both sides have figured out that outrage sells so they present material in a way that outrages their desired audiences. When someone defends one network over the other, to me, they are just showing their own bias and inability to see what they are watching. If you think the "opinion" on MSNBC isn't biased and trying to present one side as more right than another then it's not my responsibility (or ability) to change that view. But it does show me your bias. Remember when Rachel Maddow had Trump's tax returns? That was hilarious. FTR, I watch em all, don't like any of them. My fav FN guys are Neil Cavuto and Stuart Varney and my fav MSNBC personalities are Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
saltman wrote:

Absolutely, 100% true. Bet on it.

Hahahahahaha! MSNBC and Fox are two sides of the same coin. All I know is I feel stupider after watching either one of them.

In fact, all three of the major cable news nets are on par with Alex Jones and InfoWars these days. Actually, Jones probably has better production values. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QFT:

Quote:
Where this is concerned I think there are 3 kinds of people: those who think Fox News is evil, those who think CNN/MSNBC is evil, and those who see them both for what they are. And what they each are is an avenue through which advertising is sold. Neither of them provide a completely unbiased look at things because both sides have figured out that outrage sells so they present material in a way that outrages their desired audiences.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rachel was def out over the tips of her skis on the tax return nonsense, but doesnt even begin to compare to Hannity pushing the Seth Rich conspiracy theory.
Quote Reply

Prev Next