Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Here's the GOP memo [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your sentiment. Can you imagine if this was related to HRC and the tables were turned? Holy shit...

If FISA was a abused, that needs sorting out. Doesn't mean Page, et al aren't neck deep in a mess.

The IG report is what I believe will be insightful, factual, and interesting.
Last edited by: JD21: Feb 2, 18 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
spot wrote:

So, taking this memo purely at face value, is nobody the least bit concerned that a US citizen was spied on by US intelligence based completely on evidence paid for political opponents?

Again, I'm just reading what's in the memo, and FBI Director Wray has gone on record as saying what's in it has been cherry picked and taken out of context, but assuming there is at least some legitimacy to this, I am a bit bothered by the notion that one could use information gathered for political purposes to spy on a US citizen inside the United States.

George

I have not read the dossier at all. No idea what is in it. If what they did was take information in there at face value without corroboration, yeah, that is a problem. But if what they did was use information that they had good reason to believe is true, then they don't need to really worry all that much how the person who developed it went about the gathering. And I have no idea which way this goes, so it could be really bad, or it could be nothing to worry about, or somewhere in between.

I can find evidence of wrongdoing and pass it along to the cops. It could be evidence that the cops couldn't have otherwise seen without a warrant. That doesn't mean the cops shouldn't use it.

Yeah, me neither. I pretty much agree with your analysis, which is why I’m heavily caveating my statements.

Quote | Reply
I knew there was no substance. Since when has Trump ever kept his mouth shut? He would have been on a non-stop twitter tirade if there was anything at all. There is one thing we can always count on, Trump boasting.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My initial $.02

It all depends on your prior biases. If you think that Trump and the Pubs are evil then this is just some subterfuge to throw everyone off their obvious treasonous guilt. If you believe the Dems would stop at nothing to get rid of Trump then it would be patently obvious that this is exactly the kind of thing we could expect.

Conversely, if you trust either of those groups then what's it to you, really, if they're out there doing the best they can? I mean, they meant well, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, when the right wing went off we got the KKK, when the left when crazy we got the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Furthermore, [FBI] Deputy Director [Andrew] McCabe testified before the committee in December 2017 that no surveillance warrant would have been sought from the FISC without the Steele dossier information."

Oh, yeah, nothing to see here. Move along.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Well, when the right wing went off we got the KKK, when the left when crazy we got the weekend.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
j p o wrote:
spot wrote:

So, taking this memo purely at face value, is nobody the least bit concerned that a US citizen was spied on by US intelligence based completely on evidence paid for political opponents?

Again, I'm just reading what's in the memo, and FBI Director Wray has gone on record as saying what's in it has been cherry picked and taken out of context, but assuming there is at least some legitimacy to this, I am a bit bothered by the notion that one could use information gathered for political purposes to spy on a US citizen inside the United States.

George

I have not read the dossier at all. No idea what is in it. If what they did was take information in there at face value without corroboration, yeah, that is a problem. But if what they did was use information that they had good reason to believe is true, then they don't need to really worry all that much how the person who developed it went about the gathering. And I have no idea which way this goes, so it could be really bad, or it could be nothing to worry about, or somewhere in between.

I can find evidence of wrongdoing and pass it along to the cops. It could be evidence that the cops couldn't have otherwise seen without a warrant. That doesn't mean the cops shouldn't use it.

Yeah, me neither. I pretty much agree with your analysis, which is why I’m heavily caveating my statements.

If party A pays for information which suggests that someone in Party B is working for a foreign Govt, against the interests of the USA, would not a reasonable person want the allegation of working for a foreign govt investigated, rather than focus on the fact that the information was paid for in the first place?

The fact that the information was paid for may we’ll go to the weight that it should be given. But if it is corroborated or supported in some other way - and the Nunes memo seems to skirt around that point and instead suggest that the Steele dossier was the only thing relied upon, then the fact of payment for the initial information becomes less and less important.

In the end, one has to look at the substance of the allegation and take a view on whether or not there is some truth (or risk of truth) in it, regardless of how it came to be relied on or who supplied. Trying to direct 100% of the focus on the source of the information or payment for it is basically “look! There’s a squirrel!” tactics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Oh, so we’re saying something now?
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If party A pays for information which suggests that someone in Party B is working for a foreign Govt, against the interests of the USA, would not a reasonable person want the allegation of working for a foreign govt investigated, rather than focus on the fact that the information was paid for in the first place?

Party A probably shouldn't work with a foreign government to get information on Party B working with a foreign government.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Party A probably shouldn't work with a foreign government to get information on Party B working with a foreign government.

If someone is secretly working for a foreign government, where exactly do you think that information is going to come from?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If someone is secretly working for a foreign government, where exactly do you think that information is going to come from?

Maybe US intelligence/counterintelligence agencies?

But you are right, I am sure the Russians were going to be totally forthcoming about secretly working Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
SH wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Oh, so we’re saying something now?
Yeah, I said something. Evidently it triggered you. I'm sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

But you are right, I am sure the Russians were going to be totally forthcoming about secretly working Trump.

You think Russian counter intelligence set Trump up?

Oh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:

George

Where the intelligence came from is much less concerning to me than whether the intelligence is legitimate enough to be concerned. Furthermore, the memo does not is indicate that the FISA warrant is based completely on evidence paid for by political opponents. I thought it was widely reported that Page was on the FBI radar as early as 2013.

BTW - Where are all these FISA hawks defending muslim/American rights?
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
spot wrote:
j p o wrote:
spot wrote:

George

The fact that the information was paid for may we’ll go to the weight that it should be given. But if it is corroborated or supported in some other way - and the Nunes memo seems to skirt around that point and instead suggest that the Steele dossier was the only thing relied upon, then the fact of payment for the initial information becomes less and less important.

In the end, one has to look at the substance of the allegation and take a view on whether or not there is some truth (or risk of truth) in it, regardless of how it came to be relied on or who supplied. Trying to direct 100% of the focus on the source of the information or payment for it is basically “look! There’s a squirrel!” tactics.

Again, I don’t necessarily disagree, and I will further add that I don’t know specifically what the rules of the FISA court are. But there are plenty of laws in the US that govern whether or not information can be used against somebody based on how that information was gathered. If the FISA court decided to spy on a US citizen based on information that should not have been used in the first place, that is a problem, regardless of whether or not that information was 100% accurate.

Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
spot wrote:

George

Where the intelligence came from is much less concerning to me than whether the intelligence is legitimate enough to be concerned. Furthermore, the memo does not is indicate that the FISA warrant is based completely on evidence paid for by political opponents. I thought it was widely reported that Page was on the FBI radar as early as 2013.

So you don’t care if information was illegally gathered, as long as it is accurate? That sort of thing would go against a LOT of judicial rulings in this country.

Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

US Intelligence agencies aren't allowed to collect intelligence on US citizens, absent a bunch of restrictions. The initial info is still most likely to come from a foreign entity, or through collection on a foreign entity.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
No doubt Dems got played a little bit here, pubs had nearly a week to puff of their chest, claim corruption corruption corruption at that FBI and DOJ before they even offered "proof". On the other hand, the memo was then released and basically didn't show any corruption. Seriously, it shows none. Page hasn't even been charged with anything. In a weird way, pubs would have been better off if the memo wasn't actually released as they could continue to sell this false narrative.

Sure it does. This is the federal equivalent of the John Doe investigations in Wisconsin against supporters and staffers of Gov Scott Walker. It turns out the reason DA John Chisholm initiated the investigations was because his wife, a president of a teachers union, burst into tear when Walker won the Gov office. The WI Supreme Court ultimately found it to be gross abuses of process. This too was based on personal political agendas.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"completely'

False
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
spot wrote:

George

I have not read the dossier at all. No idea what is in it.....

https://www.buzzfeed.com/...ot7wNqEWM#.dle7GvMpE

According to the dossier, Trump hired a bunch of prostitutes and committed golden showers on them in Russia.

https://gizmodo.com/...ss-report-1791067589
Last edited by: BreadPudding: Feb 2, 18 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Apparently he is saying he is unaware the KKK was set up by Democrats who were angry about Republicans freeing their slaves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
My initial $.02

It all depends on your prior biases. If you think that Trump and the Pubs are evil then this is just some subterfuge to throw everyone off their obvious treasonous guilt. If you believe the Dems would stop at nothing to get rid of Trump then it would be patently obvious that this is exactly the kind of thing we could expect.

I assume you meant "the Dems, the FBI, the FISC judges, and the DoJ", right?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
spot wrote:

George

An advocate for "stop and frisk" I assume you are?

You "thought" Page was on the FBI radar as early as 2013 because that's the new talking point to defend this abortion of civil rights. WTF does "on the radar" mean anyway. You should look into that claim before quoting it.

You know who's on my radar? Jennifer Anniston. Sounds pretty dumb, doesn't it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next