Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had a nasty crash with my aerohead MIPS and the visor seemed to have cut my cheek near the eye. I could just rebuy the giro aerohead or do something different...

Desert dude:. When you reference the giro advantage, do you put the giro selector in the same category? Basically, I want an aero helmet with a visor... (Much better viz due to not having sweat marks on the frameless glasses). Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Advantage seems to work for a greater cohort of people than the Selector or Javelin.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 29, 17 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Though would you mind checking your response. You wrote selector twice. Do you mean the advantage works for a greater cohort?

Btw, I loved the aerohead except for two things:
1. The lip on the brow negatively affected the viz a bit. Had to put the head higher rather than typical turtle
2. Slightly heavier than my LG rocket. Felt it a bit after 2 hrs.
Of course, there was the bizarre event of getting sliced by the visor.

Everybody: recommend a lid that covers as much skin as possible (eg ears). Makes a big difference when hitting the deck hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Born Aero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We might be coming to the age of "peak aero" when it comes to helmets as most of the new stuff is all testing within a watt or two of each other. At this point, multiple tests are necessary for many athletes to tease out any real differences. Specific to your desire for helmets with Visors, The Aerohead, Oakley Aro 7, P09 (even with visor is still good), and Specialized S-Works are all good on most athletes. Bambino is a crap shoot for sure; great when it works, but not much better than a regular road helmet when it doesn't. In fact, the Infinity is probably an overall more consistent performer. Haven't tested the new Mistral yet

Since it's going to come up. I think I'm the only person to test the Aro 7 outside of Oakley. 3-4 tests so far and it's looking pretty good, though right there with the Aerohead and P09, so no real gains. Still, it's very good and the visor quality is excellent. Not much else I can talk about just yet when it comes to the Oakleys. I will say, it looks to the eye much smaller than it is. The medium looks very small until you put it on and realize there's a lot of room in there. I would say sizes are pretty normal.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to put words in Brian's mouth, but in no particular order:
  • Giro Advantage 2
  • Louis-Garneau P-09
  • Giro Aerohead

My recommendation is the A2, since it can be found on sale right now for ~$60, where the Aerohead and LG are easily three times that.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [duckies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the risk of hijack, anyone with experience with the aerohead experienced issues in humid race conditions with the visor fogging up? That's my only complaint with it after racing all year with one. It's enough of an issue that I've considered using my original Advantage at a couple of soupy races. The Aerohead fogged up so badly at a July sprint race down here that I had to flip the visor for 1/2 the bike leg. On the plus side, that's an easy task to accomplish even at flat-out sprint riding due to the magnets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fixed that and I did accidentally put Selector in there.

The Advantage seems to work for a slightly larger group of people vs the Selector/Javelin.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
POC Cerebel tested very well for me... not sure how it's testing on others though. Good visored helmet solution.

Jim@EROsports wrote:
We might be coming to the age of "peak aero" when it comes to helmets as most of the new stuff is all testing within a watt or two of each other. At this point, multiple tests are necessary for many athletes to tease out any real differences. Specific to your desire for helmets with Visors, The Aerohead, Oakley Aro 7, P09 (even with visor is still good), and Specialized S-Works are all good on most athletes. Bambino is a crap shoot for sure; great when it works, but not much better than a regular road helmet when it doesn't. In fact, the Infinity is probably an overall more consistent performer. Haven't tested the new Mistral yet

Since it's going to come up. I think I'm the only person to test the Aro 7 outside of Oakley. 3-4 tests so far and it's looking pretty good, though right there with the Aerohead and P09, so no real gains. Still, it's very good and the visor quality is excellent. Not much else I can talk about just yet when it comes to the Oakleys. I will say, it looks to the eye much smaller than it is. The medium looks very small until you put it on and realize there's a lot of room in there. I would say sizes are pretty normal.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
At the risk of hijack, anyone with experience with the aerohead experienced issues in humid race conditions with the visor fogging up?

Did quite some hot rides including Kona since I've got the Aerohead (the "normal" one, not the expensive version) and did not have any issues with the heat or with fogging. I just do not notice the helmet. Seems to be perfect for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Thanks for the info on the Oakley, 3-4 test still not a large test base but something to go on at least. Do you know what pro's/athletes worn it at Kona? I would switch from the Aerohead for better optics.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Jim, is there a reason you don’t refer to the Advantage when comparing helmets?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP was asking about helmets with visors.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan Frodeno wore a custom Aro7 (long tail) and Nick Kastelein wore the Aro7 that will be available to the public (short tail).

The Aro7 comes w/ an injection molded visor w/ Oakley's Prizm Road lens tint and an injection molded clear lens as well.
Last edited by: capnslow: Dec 5, 17 21:28
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [capnslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
capnslow wrote:
Jan Frodeno wore a custom Aro7 and Nick Kastelein wore the Aro7 that will be available to the public.

The Aro7 comes w/ an injection molded visor w/ Oakley's Prizm Road lens tint. The consumer helmets will come w/ a clear lens as well.

Bummer I would have liked the small tail....I think

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone maybe have any info on the Bontrager Aeolus Aero helmet? I realise it's "illegal" in the US to use, but a webshop I found has a 50% sale on them so I was wondering if it was worth it over my Ballista?

I've read about ventilation maybe being an issue but if it really is too hot during my olympics/halfs then I can always just take the Ballista if needed..
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very fast from the few tests I've done with it. Kills the Ballista, which is an okay aero road helmet.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tested the LG P-06 with a visor? I just picked one up, and I don't expect that it's as fast as the high-end lids, but it it seems like it should be pretty good.

Just curious how it compares to the p-09 or similar, not that I'm gonna switch anytime soon.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Born Aero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Born Aero wrote:
Head up

I am a visor helmet triathlete all the way. I am more a head down rider and I have a collection of helmets but personally the Catlike Rapid is getting used more often then not purely based on it is as cool as not wearing a visor time trial helmet. I live in Australia and most races are hot and you may get away with a 70.3 but if you race Ironman I just want to get the helmet off by the end as it gets warm and become claustrophobic. I have done Ironmans in Giro Selector, Rudy Wing 57, Lazer Wasp, Giro Air Attack and the Catlike Rapid. I rode the Rapid at Kona this year and was even fine there. Aero aside the Catlike is the most versatile helmet and if you are head up you really don't need a tail so aero gains are minimal. If you ride in cooler races then I'd go based on looks and price.

http://aerogeeks.com/2016/08/03/catlike-rapid-tri-review/
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
similarly, head downish. Going to try the smith podium - like you I'm in aus, so will have to import

edit: I don't see too many catlike rapids around - are there any tests out there on them?
Last edited by: coates_hbk: Dec 6, 17 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Have you tested the LG P-06 with a visor? I just picked one up, and I don't expect that it's as fast as the high-end lids, but it it seems like it should be pretty good.

Just curious how it compares to the p-09 or similar, not that I'm gonna switch anytime soon.

The new P-06 has some subtle updates/touches on the older one I have. So happy I got it too. My old visor will fit as well.

I think it's more helmet/rider vs helmet/rider. And other factors like visor distortion, attachment. weight and how well the straps integrate might be the bigger reasons to go with another design. Cooling is another factor hence you see athletes using the aero road models.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Smith Podium has basically no vents which I don't like personally but many people use the Kask Bambino with no issues and similar helmet. Movistar cycling team used them last season but changed sponsors this season and they always used the tri version. I haven't seen too many tests on the but a few of the pros were wearing them at Kona this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, I am curious. Do you happen to have any information on size of helmet vs aero?

For a lot of helmets, my head falls on the very upper range of an M (59cm) and usually I can squeeze my head into a size M, but with noticeable discomfort. So, I often go up a L in the name of comfort.

Do you happen to have any data on how much more drag that might be?
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Dec 6, 17 20:31
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
Jim, I am curious. Do you happen to have any information on size of helmet vs aero?

For a lot of helmets, my head falls on the very upper range of an M (59cm) and usually I can squeeze my head into a size M, but with noticeable discomfort. So, I often go up a L in the name of comfort.

It's all about frontal area, so larger will be slower. It is on me. I, too, fall right in between on a lot of helmets, but mediums are always faster on me. How much difference is there for you? Tough to tell without testing.

Comfort is a consideration, though, as discomfort can have a negative effect on performance.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any insights about Scott cadence in tri position instead of road position as tested by swiss side?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
bloodyshogun wrote:

It's all about frontal area, so larger will be slower. It is on me. I, too, fall right in between on a lot of helmets, but mediums are always faster on me. How much difference is there for you? Tough to tell without testing.

Comfort is a consideration, though, as discomfort can have a negative effect on performance.

For the past couple of years I've been using a Louis Garneau Course, under the heading of ventilation/comfort & those big channel's somewhat reducing the effective frontal area.

I'd love to know if something like a Giro Advantage 2 generally tests faster than the LG Course or if it's generally marginal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next