Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [unitedathletica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unitedathletica wrote:

- Purchased a group from the seller
- the group i purchased was for my team bike from 2017 i needed a good cheap group to sell it with, since this arrived not complete.The group had been forwarded to me from American mail and parcels, the shop i store my outgoing gear at. It was forwarded to Toronto, Canada where i am up visiting family before heading back down south post the the holidays.

I ended up having to upgrade the bike to an sram red 22 Etap group because that all i had which was a loss on my part. It was going to a serviceman deploying to Afghanistan and was time sensitive. At this point i was still willing to ship back.

original cost of the group $820 ( $820 was refunded by PayPal )
$820 USD to CAD via xe.com $1060 CAD
cost duty into Canada
via http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/...acl/est-cal-eng.html
$317 CAD via to USD via xe.com $249 USD
cost of forwarding service $8
cost of brokerage service $32
cost of shipping from the mail forwarder in champlain NY $44
cost of being trolled harasses priceless ! lol
my cost despite the refund : 333 USD

Trying to confirm the following:

1. Where did you have the seller (or instruct) to have the goods shipped to? (location in the US or Canada)
2. If US to above question, then did you decide to use a freight forwarder or brokerage to send it to your shop in Canada (where ever that is)?
3. Again only if answered US to question 1 - Did you inform the seller you'd be sending the goods to Canada in the end and the seller would be on the hook for duties and forwarding fees?
4. Prior to the forwarding the goods to the final destination did nobody inspect it to make sure it was complete prior to exporting it to Canada?

Just trying to confirm this information. Others have come to a conclusion on my questions but I wanted to make sure from you.

Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
unitedathletica wrote:

- Purchased a group from the seller
- the group i purchased was for my team bike from 2017 i needed a good cheap group to sell it with, since this arrived not complete.The group had been forwarded to me from American mail and parcels, the shop i store my outgoing gear at. It was forwarded to Toronto, Canada where i am up visiting family before heading back down south post the the holidays.

I ended up having to upgrade the bike to an sram red 22 Etap group because that all i had which was a loss on my part. It was going to a serviceman deploying to Afghanistan and was time sensitive. At this point i was still willing to ship back.

original cost of the group $820 ( $820 was refunded by PayPal )
cost duty into Canada
cost of shipping from the mail forwarder in champlain NY $44
cost of being trolled harasses priceless ! lol
my cost despite the refund : 333 USD

Trying to confirm the following:

1. Where did you have the seller (or instruct) to have the goods shipped to? (location in the US or Canada)
2. If US to above question, then did you decide to use a freight forwarder or brokerage to send it to your shop in Canada (where ever that is)?
3. Again only if answered US to question 1 - Did you inform the seller you'd be sending the goods to Canada in the end and the seller would be on the hook for duties and forwarding fees?
4. Prior to the forwarding the goods to the final destination did nobody inspect it to make sure it was complete prior to exporting it to Canada?

Just trying to confirm this information. Others have come to a conclusion on my questions but I wanted to make sure from you.

All the above costs minus the $249 USD are 100% the buyers responsibility for wanting to bring across the border the way he did. Also, since he's used the cross border service before he would be well aware of the additional costs associated with the service - the broker fee, the forwarding service, and the shipping cost from the mail forwarding service.

As has been pointed out he'll get a refund of the $249 USD / $317 cdn charge once he proves he's returned the product and filled out the necessary paperwork.

So hurry up and ship the groupset back.
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, another funny fact is if you plug the numbers in to the government link you sent, it spits out under $160 CAD.

Response to your... responses:

2. Yes I have outlined this before. There is nothing illegal about that. It's public.
3. If you look at all the proof I have given, you'll see that your statement is false.
4. You're right, they're not the government.

Ughhh, he said someone threatened him with violence and now hes going "the legal way"? You mean the legal way of not stealing my stuff? :/
Last edited by: dudemanppl: Nov 18, 17 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [dudemanppl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funny i got the same thing he did.
i contacted him about the threat of violence and he sent me the screen shot.
He made an effort to meet half way. Either way still trolling.

''original cost of the group $820 ( $820 was refunded by PayPal )
cost duty into Canada
cost of shipping from the mail forwarder in NY $44
my cost despite the refund : 333 USD ''

Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [lenadacleana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, more lies. I have never sent him a screenshot in any of my correspondences with him. I have never told any one to threaten him with violence. I just present all the facts and folks do as they please.
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [dudemanppl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve no dog in this fight, merely rubber necking this car crash.

From the reaction of “unitedathletica” in their posts, I don’t find them trustworthy.

The whole import issue into Canada is nothing to do with the seller. The groupo was sold to a US address.

Regardless of the correspondence that’s gone before, no doubt both sides frustrated, the buyer has the refund and the groupset and is refusing to return it.

That is plain wrong. The buyer decided they didn’t want the groupset anymore, so is responsible for getting the groupset back to the seller. The seller made a big error in refunding the sale in the hope the buyer would do the right thing. I doubt PayPal resolution centre would refund the sale without proof that the return had happened, which further leads me to believe the seller.

Finally, I don’t know who “lenadacleana” is, but their post history involves only unitedathletica’s posts and seller feedback. That, to me, is highly suspect given the character of unitedathletica being displayed in their own posts here.

The simple fact is the buyer has the refund and the product yet still is trying to justify not returning either.

I will avoid slowtwitch’s classifieds if this is the rigmarole one has to go through.
Last edited by: JerseyBigfoot: Nov 19, 17 1:16
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:

I will avoid slowtwitch’s classifieds if this is the rigmarole one has to go through.

It isn’t which is why everyone makes a point of calling out the rare bad transaction
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 19, 17 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've sold thousands here over the last few years with no issues whatsoever. I've never had this happen before, which explains why I don't really know what to do.

It seems like he is keeping the parts after all.
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:

Finally, I don’t know who “lenadacleana” is, but their post history involves only unitedathletica’s posts and seller feedback. That, to me, is highly suspect given the character of unitedathletica being displayed in their own posts here.

site admins could just compare ip addresses, i think
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
If he has both your money and gear, can you not contact his local PD for help?

I'm actually curious about which PD the OP should contact to now pursue this more formally .... Can anyone who has read this full thread (and is knowledgeable about resolving these types of things) point him to the correct authority?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes please. I have a police report filed with my local PD just as a record, but I don't even know where this guy lives other than somewhere in Canada.

I like how he doesn't understand that he stole it from me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was about to buy some parts from this guy but definitelly won’t do it.

Asked me to leave good feedback for him even before finishing the deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [skinnyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skinnyguy wrote:
I almost sold a set f wheels to this guy via Pinkbike also. Has two accounts here I believe. garry_tri and unitedathletica. Everything was fishy. Nothing was going to be easy. Ship to one location. Nope ship to this location. Nope I'll send a prepaid shipping box. I feel for you mann. This guy seems like a difficult one to please and deal with. I hope he does the right thing by you.

I had a similar interaction with him. It wasn't anywhere near like the problem our OP is having, but I tried to buy some SRAM stuff from him and nothing was ever easy. The original benefit was that he was 'local' to me in Toronto, but trying to set up a time to meet with Garry seemed like mission impossible; He could only meet downtown (which is out of the way, but fine). I'd tell him a day that that I'd be downtown and he'd tell me to message him in the morning for a time and location. When I'd message him that morning, he'd get back to me that evening (after the day was done), saying he could meet me the next day (...wtf?). This went on a couple of times and it just seemed like a wierd charade that went nowhere or with any follow through on his part. I even replied to one of his other adds just to get his attention. He then suggested shipping, but never got back to me (...and I was tired of chasing after him).

None of this is anywhere near what the OP reported. But none the less, left me with an odd sense of Garry.

Now to see that he's justifying keeping the Di2 set after accepting a full refund from paypal is pretty low. Trying to negotiate a further settlement after the paypal refund, just to send the Di2 groupset back is even lower.

..This is theft, plain and simple. Garry, man up and send it back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll share a similar story of my own. I sold a guy a pair of shoes on eBay a few years ago. I accidentally listed the size wrong. I shipped the shoes to an address in Florida. The guy I sold the shoes to actually lived in Brazil, just used a family member’s address for easy purchases. When he got the shoes he wanted a return as I accidentally listed the size incorrectly. The return shipping from Brazil would have been $50, not the $9 I paid to send to Florida. The guy filed a formal complaint with eBay since I would not pay the $50 for return shipping on $30 shoes. eBay sided with me. I could not have known the buyer would take the shoes out of country.

That’s a precident. This guy could have taken your group to Antarctica before requesting a refund. Doesn’t mean you’re obligated for the extra shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you use USPS for the US leg? Could you go after him for postal fraud?
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USPS, I have no idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am fairly sure I had the identical type of transaction on eBay and I bet from the same buyer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's said he went into Wheels of Bloor, which is a shop located in Toronto, ON Canada. He also mentioned travelling to Guelph which is 40 min from Toronto, so I would assume he is from there, or at least residing there. So you'd want to contact Toronto Police Service (torontopolice.on.ca).

I really don't get how he was charged $333. I have purchased many things from the US and had them shipped here in Canada and all the duties are is the tax on the good(s). The highest provincial sales tax is 15%, where you typically get killed on is the brokerage fee, which is what they charge for paying the duties for you. UPS is by far the worst but at the highest sales tax it should be no where near $333. Anyway duties are always my responsibilities and why I ask people to mark at a lower value or send to a PO Box in the US so I can pick it up.

I looked him up on FB, he seems to like to use Tri 'n Sell it and Buy and Sell Time Trial but not Toronto Road/CX group to sell stuff, maybe doesn't want to crap in his own backyard.
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [Scott_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_D wrote:
He's said he went into Wheels of Bloor, which is a shop located in Toronto, ON Canada. He also mentioned travelling to Guelph which is 40 min from Toronto, so I would assume he is from there, or at least residing there. So you'd want to contact Toronto Police Service (torontopolice.on.ca).

I really don't get how he was charged $333. I have purchased many things from the US and had them shipped here in Canada and all the duties are is the tax on the good(s). The highest provincial sales tax is 15%, where you typically get killed on is the brokerage fee, which is what they charge for paying the duties for you. UPS is by far the worst but at the highest sales tax it should be no where near $333. Anyway duties are always my responsibilities and why I ask people to mark at a lower value or send to a PO Box in the US so I can pick it up.

All depends on the value that was declared for the groupset when shipped to Canada, if he is including shipping chargers from his re-shipper in the US, etc.
I import to Canada all the time, and I understand that whether or not it goes well, whether or not something fits, etc., all the import stuff and return shipping costs are gonna be on me.

If he doesn't offer the groupset or money back to the seller, I'd just go ahead and file a report with the Toronto police as listed above, or the OPP (Ontario Prov. Police), https://www.opp.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Scammer: unitedathletica/Garry Mathieu Do not deal with! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disappointed he didn't answer my simple questions. Just want some clarification from him directly to clear up the transaction details and what happened after the seller completed their obligation (minus a missing part).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One small thing to note, not that it really matters, but I had no idea it was going to Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It definitely matters. You had no idea he was taking across an international border. Shouldn’t matter if it was Canada or Syria the principle is the same. He can’t realistically except you to pay more for shipping since it’s destiation moved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you get this figured out and either get your groupset back or he refunds you back 100% of the money he has kept.

In my opinion, you are not obligated to pay for any additional or associated cost he is trying to blame you for - those were all incurred by his own choice. Sending him the return shipping label from the US shipping point is all you are required to do, it's his problem to figure out how to get it there as it was his choice and problem of how to "get" it from there.

From the start, I would not have accepted any sort of return either - forgetting to ship the charger and then offering to ship it out to complete the sale would have made him whole. He could have sold the bike with your set and advised the buyer he was going to forward him the charger in a week after he received it - but really in the end, none of that has any sort of bearing on you or the sale...again these where the buyers choice of handling.

I'll make sure NEVER to buy or look to sell anything to this person - headache transactions I really want to avoid!
Keep us updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dudemanppl wrote:
One small thing to note, not that it really matters, but I had no idea it was going to Canada.

Even if you -did- know he planned to export to Canada from US, it doesn't matter, it was his choice to have it mailed from you to a point in the US. After that, you are done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoke with a detective buddy of mine about this, he deals with this kind of stuff often-

His view-Gary doesn't have the money to refund and he has already sold the parts so he can't send them back...and based upon everything I have read, I am guessing that is exactly the situation.

Good luck to the OP, I would file police reports and document everything...and Gary better hope all his import/export docs are in place or his troubles are going to greatly increase.
Quote Reply

Prev Next