Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
Sweet ride bro. Please tell me it came with a dropper post though?? If not, you need to ask them what they did with it. For that price.....you get the dropper post for sure.

No dropper post.

And I didn’t pay that price.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I feel a little sheepish riding around with my relative lack of skill on a $5,000 bike. //

How do you think I feel on my $8000 one??? At least I would win or come out in the lead groups in most Xterra type races, so for a couple minutes it looked like I belonged on that bike. As the parade of younger, faster, better riders would go by me I would just mumble that my gears were not working well. I was quite surprised how patient and nice everyone was though, waiting for a good spot to pass me and offer encouragement..
-
you suck! As a crappy swimmer and fastish MTB guy, Xterra was torture owing to the herd ahead that I needed to get by on singletrack. If I decide to race some more, that would be the one thing that motivate me to learn to swim.

ps. Glad you're on an MTB and enjoying the riding and racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   That's a big plunge, but I doubt you guys will regret it. Great workout for the all the non-glory muscles; triceps, lower back, lats, and as someone said, add a little speed and your entire being is pulled into the moment...just you and the trail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Expensive novelty bikes for the dentists to own, pose outside cafes and post on social media.

I’m not a dentist nor do I plan on advertising to the world on social media that such a thing is in my house.

And that bike is no novelty.

I don't plan on telling anyone that I just got an R8
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
You suck Sanuk! It was my turn to use the #metoo and you jumped in front of me. Why do you always do this? You ruined my whole week!

You need to make a sign and start marching or at a minimum, go on social media and talk about how unfair life is.

Or go pet your support monkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still rehabbing from 2 fractures to my right fibula from an August 24th MTB mishap. Can't wait to get back at it. Enjoy!

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [TriHard Indiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You cannot leave us hanging like that my friend! To have a crash that results in 2 fibula fractures......that has to be an awesome story. Besides, I'm sick of all the politics floating around in here right now. Let's hear it bro!
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m using these pedals...

http://bike.shimano.com/.../pedals/pd-m540.html

Are these ok or am I missing out on something?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AS a reformed triathlete, you should be just fine. There is a big movement back to flats, and I can see their use for extreme terrain, but for most riding, I am sticking with clipless.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy98 wrote:
AS a reformed triathlete, you should be just fine. There is a big movement back to flats, and I can see their use for extreme terrain, but for most riding, I am sticking with clipless.

Well, I have found that if I need to re-start on a steep hill (almost all the trails around here are steep) I have a hard time clipping in.

I was considering a flats/clipless hybrid like these...

http://bike.shimano.com/...pedals/pd-m8020.html

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I’m using these pedals...

http://bike.shimano.com/.../pedals/pd-m540.html

Are these ok or am I missing out on something?

Those are fine. The ability to restart on a hill and clip in is something that can be taught (there are some subtle things to be aware of) and practiced. Make sure the releases aren't too tight...I set mine super loose on the MTB for better release and easier entry.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Platform doesn't really help much. At least not that size. I actually find platforms reduce my ability to catch and release effectively. Tom has it right- set the release tension lower. It's why I prefer Time ATACs (even though they have fallen out of favor) perfect release and clip tension. But the technique if you miss you clip is to put the cleat in front of the catch mechanism, so it kinda jams. Clipping gets easier as your cleats get broken in.
Last edited by: triguy98: Nov 16, 17 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They’re old pedals from my fixie. They’re plenty broken in.

Just have to work on technique. I’m a total Barney with a sick bike.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pedals are old, did you keep the same cleats? It just takes practice. I crashed more times than I care to admit, all because of not unclipping in time. One times I tore my left cheek off when I landed on what I THOUGHT was a lovely pile of leaves... but it had a huge limestone rock hidden under it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy98 wrote:
The pedals are old, did you keep the same cleats? It just takes practice. I crashed more times than I care to admit, all because of not unclipping in time. One times I tore my left cheek off when I landed on what I THOUGHT was a lovely pile of leaves... but it had a huge limestone rock hidden under it.

Same pedals, shoes and cleats I used with the fixie.

Unclipping isn’t the issue. It’s clipping back in and going when on a steep climb that’s a problem.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TLDR

You purchased a Trek Top Fuel 9.8SL?
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet.
I am so torn on picking up a procaliber (hardtail) and a top fuel.

Have you weighed the bike?
Can you feel pedal induced bob?
Doe the rear suspension truly work when you are braking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
triguy98 wrote:

Unclipping isn’t the issue. It’s clipping back in and going when on a steep climb that’s a problem.

Sounds like we need to hold a training session :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am so torn on picking up a procaliber (hardtail) and a top fuel.

Well if you read the whole thread you’d know that I bought my wife the pro caliber :)

That bike has an interesting frame/seat tube interface that acts sort of like rear suspension. I was skeptical about it so I rode it, then road a carbon hardtail (same wheels) and compared. You can definitely tell the difference.

Quote:
Have you weighed the bike?

No but there’s a guy online who weighed his. Little searching you should be able to find it.

The wife’s bike definitely feels lighter. It’s a smaller frame size, but lacks the carbon wheels, bars and stem that mine has.

My son has an even smaller Marlin 5 aluminum bike and it’s a fucking tank in comparison so there’s that.

Quote:
Can you feel pedal induced bob?

It has a suspension lockout level so when riding on roads or climbing I have it locked.

Quote:
Doe the rear suspension truly work when you are braking?

It seems to. I have nothing to compare it too being this is my first full suspension bike (and first mountain bike since 1988).

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Duffy wrote:
triguy98 wrote:

Sounds like we need to hold a training session :-)

Friend of mine is a much more experienced rider (I’m almost certain you’d know him) and we’re planning a ride or two next week. He’ll be helpful but there’s no substitute for experience.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
The issue I am having is I live in a place where I can't even see these bikes, never mind ride them. So the more information I can gather the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well let me put it this way...

I can’t see my riding ever being limited in any way because I don’t have a good enough bike.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Clip in on one side. Start pedaling. Use the middle of your shoe on the non-clipped in side until you get enough momentum to clip in.

Alternatively - don't stop in the first place....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
triguy98 wrote:

Well, I have found that if I need to re-start on a steep hill (almost all the trails around here are steep) I have a hard time clipping in.

I was considering a flats/clipless hybrid like these...

http://bike.shimano.com/...pedals/pd-m8020.html

I have these on my ''play'' bike and XTR on my Scalpel. I find the little platform helps a touch with foot stability, but I also think its a little tougher to clip in really fast with them.
Shimano makes the best pedals period. I have a pair in my parts bin that were on my single speed for many years, they are cosmetically destroyed but the bearings are smooth and they still work great.
As far as a dropper post.......you spent to coin on an awesome bike, now go and put one on and realize what a game changer they are in technical and steep terrain. It's money well spent, and the taller you are the more you'll appreciate it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next