Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hunters of the LR [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What does eating baby cattle have to do with hunting deer?

Uh, maybe you might tell me?

BTW when you ride that mountain bike with your dogs, do you keep them on leash and pick up their poo? If not you are causing more harm to the environment than probably any other user.

What an idiotic statement. Who picks up the wild animal scat? Next time think before you post.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
I don't hunt but live right in the rural heart of the deer hunting area and you guys have no idea how much I fucking hate you during the first two weeks of November. I live near a conservation area where no hunting is allowed. I run or mountain bike with my dog on the trails and make a point for us both to wear orange for these two weeks. One year I was on the trail and came across three hunters who weren't supposed to be there. I politely explained they were not allowed to hunt in this area and the one asshole responded "what are you going to do about it". I was almost ready to fight the guy but with three guys with rifles I diplomatically backed away once again trying to explain it is a conservation area. And then there are the other assholes that come to the border of the conservation area and send their dogs in the flush the deer out. I don't get the hunting thing unless you're actually going to eat what you kill or for conservation purposes. I knew a guy in a hunting party that shot five deer tags and none of them eat veal. WTF? Just the "thrill" of killing a defenseless animal. How manly. I also don't get the "male bonding" thing of being shacked up in a cabin with a bunch of guys farting, snoring and drinking all week. One year we locally had five guys die - two shot by other hunters, two heart attacks and another lost in the woods and died of exposure.

Hunting is not my thing. I don't get it or have any interest but all I want to say is be responsible. You have a lot of assholes in your ranks.

Yup, assholes can be found anywhere and I think it's a higher concentration in the hunting ranks. I'll agree with that. But I wouldn't lump all hunters in that group because of the experiences you've had. We (my family) are very dependent on the meat, and it is D-LISH!

Hunting isn't for everyone. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't lump all hunters into that group and if any one read my OP they'd agree. If you eat what you kill then its ok imho. We eat very little meat and could can easily live without it and still get the same the nourishment requirements. But that's our personal; food choice. I just don't get the "manly men" who just kill animals because they can.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Nov 13, 17 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
You might be pleased to know that most hunters despise poachers and meat wasters as much as you do. Lumping hunters into one group is no different than lumping all cyclists together because there are some who ignore the rules of the road.

I think the majority of hunters are responsible citizens and obey the rules even if I don't get it, but living where I do I've seen a lot of assholes. But there are assholes in everything, cycling and triathlon included. Can't argue your point.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so a pretty cool thread by a guy who does it about as old school as you can do it and still ethically hunt.

A hunting thread for those interested in hunting.

But you just could NOT resist the temptation to flap on in and shit on the thread.

What a piece of shit you are

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
"What does eating baby cattle have to do with hunting deer?

Uh, maybe you might tell me?

BTW when you ride that mountain bike with your dogs, do you keep them on leash and pick up their poo? If not you are causing more harm to the environment than probably any other user.

What an idiotic statement. Who picks up the wild animal scat? Next time think before you post.

Veal is baby cattle not deer meat. You said they don't eat veal.

If you knew anything about land management, park, management, trail maintenance, leave no trace, then you know dogs off leash are a huge problem for parks and their wildlife. wake up dogs are not natural for wild lands or even county parks. your dogs off leash disrupt the normal habitat. Their scat does the same long after you are gone. Educate yourself. Pack out your dog crap, and leash those beasts, or be ignorant of your damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's regular rifle season here in GA but I'm still trying to get my first deer with my muzzle loader--and i will keep at it till i do

It would be super cool if you could post some pics of your hunting area in ID/WY/MT. I love that area for trout fishing and adventure moto riding.

take good care
/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
so a pretty cool thread by a guy who does it about as old school as you can do it and still ethically hunt.

A hunting thread for those interested in hunting.

But you just could NOT resist the temptation to flap on in and shit on the thread.

What a piece of shit you are

Fuck off Steve. You're way over reacting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We found our share birds and some heavy winds. My dog did well and shot limit both days. I don't think I could ever move out of the state because the hunting is so good

Last edited by: chuckhead: Nov 13, 17 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuckhead wrote:
We found our share birds and some heavy winds. My dog did well and shot limit both days. I don't think I could ever move out of the state because the hunting is so good

Well maybe patf will insist that you go into the swamp to pick up his poop. :-) LOL!!

I've always owned retrievers. They're great for birds. That's what they do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Well maybe patf will insist that you go into the swamp to pick up his poop. :-) LOL!!

You're obviously too ignorant or lazy to learn or you would have done a few searches and saw how wrong you are. For those that do care about the wild lands, wildlife, and local parks carry out your dog poop, or if backpacking bury it just like human waste in 6-8in deep cat holes.

https://lnt.org/...s-dog-poop-explained

https://www.pcta.org/...country-basics/dogs/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I don't hunt but live right in the rural heart of the deer hunting area and you guys have no idea how much I fucking hate you during the first two weeks of November. I live near a conservation area where no hunting is allowed. I run or mountain bike with my dog on the trails and make a point for us both to wear orange for these two weeks. One year I was on the trail and came across three hunters who weren't supposed to be there. I politely explained they were not allowed to hunt in this area and the one asshole responded "what are you going to do about it". I was almost ready to fight the guy but with three guys with rifles I diplomatically backed away once again trying to explain it is a conservation area. And then there are the other assholes that come to the border of the conservation area and send their dogs in the flush the deer out. I don't get the hunting thing unless you're actually going to eat what you kill or for conservation purposes. I knew a guy in a hunting party that shot five deer tags and none of them eat veal. WTF? Just the "thrill" of killing a defenseless animal. How manly. I also don't get the "male bonding" thing of being shacked up in a cabin with a bunch of guys farting, snoring and drinking all week. One year we locally had five guys die - two shot by other hunters, two heart attacks and another lost in the woods and died of exposure.

Hunting is not my thing. I don't get it or have any interest but all I want to say is be responsible. You have a lot of assholes in your ranks.

Well, you're not pulling any punches, are you? And I have to agree, to a point - as a group we hunters are our own worst enemy.

But let's address a few things first: if some assholes were hunting in a conservation area, you should figure out where they parked, get their plate numbers, and TURN THEM IN. And if hunters are sending their dogs in to flush the deer? I don't know about Canada, but in the US that's not legal anywhere that I know of. So TURN THEM IN. The guys shooting five deer are required to salvage the meat - if they aren't doing so, TURN THEM IN. Some of what you're describing is illegal and the ethical hunters (yes, we do exist) will thank you for any help in enforcing existing laws.

For me, and the guys and gals I hunt with, it's about spending quality time in the outdoors, and providing clean, healthy meat for our families. And nobody I hunt with gets a thrill out of killing; in fact I dislike the killing immensely. But it's a necessary evil if you want to put meat in the freezer.

I'm embarrassed by some of my friends who ride road bikes in a way that is inconsiderate of other road users. And I'm amazed at the number of asshole drivers that I have to share the road with. But those asshole cyclists and drivers, fortunately, are a fraction of the total numbers of cyclists and motorists. Similary, I'm appalled by the behavior of some of my fellow hunters. And unfortunately, their behavior is highly visible and leads the public to conclude that we're all assholes. But I'd like you to consider that there are a lot of us ethical hunters out here that you never see, because we do our hunting quietly, efficiently, and with consideration for other users of the outdoors.

And as far as the farting and snoring thing goes, I assure you it is has nothing to do with "male bonding" - the chicks keep up surprisingly well in that department!
Last edited by: eb: Nov 13, 17 22:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Yup, assholes can be found anywhere and I think it's a higher concentration in the hunting ranks. I'll agree with that. But I wouldn't lump all hunters in that group because of the experiences you've had. We (my family) are very dependent on the meat, and it is D-LISH!

Hunting isn't for everyone. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't lump all hunters into that group and if any one read my OP they'd agree. If you eat what you kill then its ok imho. We eat very little meat and could can easily live without it and still get the same the nourishment requirements. But that's our personal; food choice. I just don't get the "manly men" who just kill animals because they can.

You truly are clueless. There are a lot of women that hunt. This is at least the second post in this thread where you expressed that hunters are doing it because they want to be manly. The OP told a great story about his Mom getting her first. Do you think she was trying to be manly?
Last edited by: zed707: Nov 13, 17 22:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
classless asshole and troll

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, those tags in Montana would cost a fortune. Especially elk.

Good luck

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Well, I didn't get one with the bow. Stalked into range though, at about 44 yards and was about to launch some carbon when the critter somehow figured me out and that was all she wrote. Spot and stalk pronghorn hunting is not for those who give up easily.

I did get one with the rifle, about 2 minutes after my mom shot her first big game animal. Anchored the biggest buck in the group with one shot. The herd was still hanging around a couple of minutes later so I took her gun and got mine.

Just got done cutting up a nice sandhills (Nebraska) mule deer taken with the bow, spot and stalk. That was a great trip. Will do that again next year.

So, for 17 I have 2 bow kills, bull elk and mule deer buck, and one rifle kill, pronghorn buck. I still have an elk cow tag that I may try to fill this weekend with the rifle but hunting season is definitely winding down.

Congrats to your mom! That is so cool. I can't believe you're bow hunting pronghorn with a bow. Kudos for even getting into range. Never hunted them, but from what I've read it's really hard sometimes even with a rifle.

Pretty impressive success at your age, bravo. I also bowhunt, but haven't been able to get a deer from the ground yet. If you don't mind, if you've written up that stalk on the mulie, I'd love to hear it. Or even a Reader's Digest version.

Do you do any bow hunting with traditional equipment? That's my favorite. I've still got my bows, just haven't had the time in a few years.

ETA: Please add a pic if you'd like. The troll will love it.
Last edited by: zed707: Nov 13, 17 23:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed with others, your an idiot. You see people breaking the law, call your local DNR conservation officer. Their job is to find guys like that. Three in a row, hell the officer would love that!

Issue is your seeing people on public land, chances are they got kicked off private land. Not saying all are bad, but probably more bad apples than normal.

I personally do not like trophy hunters, they arnt manly men. For me its ethical organic meat. In fact my state is seeing record numbers of women hunting.

Oh and veal is baby cow. Venison is deer.if you had the polish sausage that my butchershop turns my venison into, you would eat a lot more meat...yum!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife bought her first Minnesota deer tag this year, sadly it went unfilled, as did my tag.

The land owners in the area we hunt did some serious road hunting and it was pretty frustrating. So much so the local CO chatted with my wife and I for maybe 2 minutes before telling us he was gunna get these "damn guys running and gunning."

Thinking about giving a muzzle loader a try, and it is time to get the ice fishing gear out.

I will add to the sentiment, that if you encounter illegal or unethical hunting you should contact your local game authority. Here in Minnesota we have an anonymous "TIP" line (turn in poachers).

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First year bow-hunting and it's such a different animal than rifle. I could have gotten a buck and two does if I'd had my rifle, but I made a conscious decision that it would be bow-only that trip.

Lot's of great viewing of animals and learned a lot for the next trip. Someone on the same trip offered his feeder, but even though I've got no ethical problem with it, to me, it's not hunting - it's harvesting.

Perhaps next time, I'll take advantage of the feeder to get some venison, but I want my first one to be something I've outsmarted.

Good luck everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was hoping to get another hunt in this season but don't think it is going to happen at this point. Went out for archery elk back in September and came away empty-handed. I need to do a LOT more conditioning to be able to keep going in-state as the animals are few and far between and the number of hunters is pretty high these days. Didn't see or hear anything except bear sign, no bugles no scrapes no nothing! Did come across about 5 different camps of hunters, one set up smack in the middle of a meadow surrounded by cover that *used* to be a game trail highway - maybe I'm the one that doesn't know the animals though considering my success. Grrr, that is why it is called hunting not shooting though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I don't take Cerveloguy's comments personally. It's simple ignorance, and I say that in the non judgemental way. I have only been hunting for 4 years, and I'm 40 so I came into it at a different angle. People often have very strong opinions about hunting but very little understanding. The emotions involved in killing are understandable so I try to explain more than judge when confronted by anti-hunters (not that I believe that's what Cerveloguy was doing).

What Cerveloguy ran into was poachers, not hunters. It's likely hard to tell the difference when it all looks the same from the outside. We (hunters) are required to have a license, or "tag" for every animal killed. You pay for each one, sometimes up to hundreds or thousands of dollars. When you kill something, you notch your tag (litterally cut notches in it so it can't be "erased") and attach it to the animal before leaving the kill site. That tag has to stay attached, along with several other regulations. The meat processor needs to write down info from it, there may be game and fish check stations that check it, obviously game wardens can check, etc. It's a really big deal. Even though I am very conscientious of the process, I still get nervous that I'm going to do some part of it wrong. So far so good...

If you saw someone killing just to kill, and left the animal, then you saw poaching and it absolutely should be reported to authorities. At least here, we are REQUIRED to take the meat, at least all 4 quarters, backstraps, and tenderloins.

Trophy Hunting is something that is very different from what it is believed to be. Trophy hunters are still subject to all regulations above, including taking the meat from the animal, at least in the US they are. The difference is that they are much more selective about which animal they might be looking to kill, usually because it's an older or more mature animal with bigger antlers. They also tend to be the smarter and much more challenging animals to hunt as they've been around longer and they're really good at not dying, by humans or the various other ways to die as a wild animal. Trophy hunting, when a person understand it, is actually very good for conservation and good for the herds of animals. Trophy hunters understand that by being selective, it's much more likely that they won't kill anything and will simply have paid for the right to chase/hunt, rather than obtaining anything tangible. Trophy hunting is not simply killing and taking trophies/heads while leaving everything to rot... That would be poaching, and specifically illegal.

Meat hunting tends to be very much less selective about which animal to take. So the young and dumb tend to be killed in that case (my bull elk this year would qualify).

I really do not like rifle hunting. There's no question that it's the most efficient, and likely most ethical way to kill a game animal, but for me there are too many people, and it's too competitive, and it tends to attract the lazier hunter (not that all rifle hunters are lazy). I prefer to hunt backpack style in wilderness areas when possible. I rarely see other hunters, or humans actually, and prefer it that way. I'm willing to walk quite a ways with camp on my back in order to obtain this experience. Last year I had to carry a good size bull elk 6 miles (cut up and carried over 5 trips, 4 quarters plus head/antlers) averaging about 80 lbs in my pack. It's far from the beer drinking 4 wheeler hunting experience, which I sort of am a snob about I guess.
Last edited by: 307trout: Nov 14, 17 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twomarks wrote:
First year bow-hunting and it's such a different animal than rifle. I could have gotten a buck and two does if I'd had my rifle, but I made a conscious decision that it would be bow-only that trip.

Lot's of great viewing of animals and learned a lot for the next trip. Someone on the same trip offered his feeder, but even though I've got no ethical problem with it, to me, it's not hunting - it's harvesting.

Perhaps next time, I'll take advantage of the feeder to get some venison, but I want my first one to be something I've outsmarted.

Good luck everyone.

I struck out hunting elk with the bow for my first two years. Keep after it. If you really work at it, you learn so much more failing with a bow than succeeding with a rifle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mule deer stalk was just a matter of timing. When in the rut, the deer are more visible, but the big bucks have lots of does with them. This particular buck had about 16 does, plus a couple of smaller bucks with him. That's a lot of eyes. With a rifle, it would have been a simple shot, and he was a hell of a deer. Probably approaching the magical 200" mule deer.

Where I was hunting there are absolutely zero trees, just grass and the terrain, which is very pocketed (not sure how else to describe it). You can use the little hills and cuts as cover but they also use them for safety in how they position themselves in relation to the wind. The deer will nearly always lay near the top of a hill with the wind at their back. They monitor everything upwind (behind them) with their nose, and use their vision to monitor everything else.

I was able to work around and at about 100 yards, the crawling began. My boots were making too much noise rubbing against the grass so I took them off. Then my pants were making too much noise so I rolled them up around my knees and kept crawling. I'd always mocked people for doing these dumb ass things when I read about them but as focused and intense as I was on getting into range, it seemed perfectly logical and necessary at the time. I was using gusts of wind and even an overhead passing jet as noise cover to hide my movements. It's amazing how acutely tuned you can be when trying to get close to a critter that avoids much better hunters than me (natural predators) for a liviing.

I tried 3 or 4 different approach routes, but nothing would get me close enough and had to keep crawling backwards and forwards. My final route took me within the circumference of the herd. I was between the big buck with his many does, all arranged on different aspects of the hill, and a smaller buck and doe that were in a pocket below me. I thought about nicknaming this buck "Bin Laden" as he was so well protected by the herd, but then I remember that I really hate when people give deer human names.

Finally, without boots and looking like an idiot, I got to 70 yards which is my max range. At this point, a spike walked by me and his gaze got the whole group up and moving. Even in the failure, it was probably the most exciting hour and a half of my hunting "career".

It took a while to find my boots...
Last edited by: 307trout: Nov 14, 17 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story on the mule deer stalk. My most memorable turkey hunts are the ones where I didn't get the turkey but spent a lot of time trying to close the deal.

I haven't hunted in about 10 years, but I would rather chase a gobbling turkey for 2 hours without getting a shot than to kill one in a 3 minute hunt. It is the experience that is so memorable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that answers my question.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
My wife bought her first Minnesota deer tag this year, sadly it went unfilled, as did my tag.

Can you go 2nd season? It starts Saturday. Not sure on the rules. Also might not be a bad idea to buy a cheap muzzle loader and try that season.
Quote Reply

Prev Next