Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Market Forces at Work: Dope Smokers' Life Insurance Premiums to Get High [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Insurers are not only risk adverse, they have also done their homework:

https://www.nature.com/articles/npp201467
http://www.jneurosci.org/content/34/16/5529

These are only TWO of many studies showing how Cannabis alters brain chemistry....and behavior, and probably predisposition to certain neurodegenerative disorders.

I am sure all these mind-alterations are for the better, and that we are smarter than nature, who decided to NOT overuse these pathways.

And I am not even touching on the widespread abuse of ADHD drugs and amphetamines healthy kids are getting to pop.

You think the current opioid 'crisis' is bad?

Just lean back and enjoy the ride!

So life insurance companies know people are dying prematurely from neurological changes associated with pot smoking?

Really you think pot smoking is going to rival the opioid problems? Given that you can’t OD on pot? And there’s no injection, which causes a lot of the chronic health issues with opioid use, with pot either?

What insurance companies know is statistics. I'm sure somewhere in the data it shows that life expectancy among pot smokers is lower (for whatever reasons) than the general populace or they wouldn't be doing turning away them as customers.
Quote Reply
Re: Market Forces at Work: Dope Smokers' Life Insurance Premiums to Get High [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
We need some volunteers for a longitudinal study to explore this vital research topic. Maybe get some grants from the government as well. I think two to three decades worth would suffice. LOL!

Unless those studies find weed is a miracle drug that will cure all your ills, the potheads will dismiss it as Reefer Madness. Medical marijuana was always a scam but the users actually started believing their own bullshit.
Quote Reply
Re: Market Forces at Work: Dope Smokers' Life Insurance Premiums to Get High [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What insurance companies know is statistics

and yet they still offer coverge for pseudoscientific nonsense....

Also, opoid use goes down in areas where pot is legal.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Market Forces at Work: Dope Smokers' Life Insurance Premiums to Get High [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder if it's just smokers or those who only use Vape or edibles as well. As a side I used to think it was harmless but have changed my opinion, inhaling hot smoke from something wrapped in paper can't be good for you.
Last edited by: 50+: Nov 12, 17 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: Market Forces at Work: Dope Smokers' Life Insurance Premiums to Get High [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

We need some volunteers for a longitudinal study to explore this vital research topic. Maybe get some grants from the government as well. I think two to three decades worth would suffice. LOL!

Unless those studies find weed is a miracle drug that will cure all your ills, the potheads will dismiss it as Reefer Madness. Medical marijuana was always a scam but the users actually started believing their own bullshit.

While it does help with some things, pain, cancer treatments and such you're right I'd bet at least 50% or more of drug cards are boggus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But what about edibles? And how will insurance companies test for pot use? Unless they start doing hair analysis, it is simple to wait a couple weeks before submitting a blood sample for life insurance testing. Not so easy for tobacco use. Smokers cannot stop using and the nicotine metabolite, cotinine is easy to detect.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Market Forces at Work: Dope Smokers' Life Insurance Premiums to Get High [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

So life insurance companies know people are dying prematurely from neurological changes associated with pot smoking?

That is not what I said. You know how Insurance companies work out their strategies, right?
Ever heard of "risk assessment / management"?
Really you think pot smoking is going to rival the opioid problems? Given that you can’t OD on pot? And there’s no injection, which causes a lot of the chronic health issues with opioid use, with pot either?[/quote]

You don't inject Vicodin or Fentanyl, don't you? That would be scary indeed.

You sure your brain can't 'OD' on pot?

If your definition of 'OD' is equivalent to 'death', I agree[/quote]
I think with sufficient quantity pot may be able to cause clinically significant damage to the brain, but we don't know that yet. As far as I'm aware there's nothing akin to alcoholism's Wernicke's enchepholopathy or Korsakoff Syndrome that has been demonstrated with pot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next