Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [El Jefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
El Jefe wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Missing the point. They can try. That doesn't mean that they will be successful.

The point being, the owners don't actually *own* the players. They can't just *make* them do things that the players don't want to do. Even if its in the contract, contracts can be forced to be renegotiated.

Two weeks ago hundreds of players knelt during the anthem to "protest". Last week and yesterday less than 20% of those who did two weeks ago knelt during the anthem. Would you not consider that successful?

And right before Trump decided to dump his weekly excrement, there were almost none kneeling.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Two weeks ago hundreds of players knelt during the anthem to "protest". Last week and yesterday less than 20% of those who did two weeks ago knelt during the anthem. Would you not consider that successful? "

Did the NFL threaten to fire them?

Does that matter? I thought your point was that they couldn't pressure these guys to do what they wanted and that's pretty much what happened, no?

Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
El Jefe wrote:

Two weeks ago hundreds of players knelt during the anthem to "protest". Last week and yesterday less than 20% of those who did two weeks ago knelt during the anthem. Would you not consider that successful?

And right before Trump decided to dump his weekly excrement, there were almost none kneeling.

Agreed.

Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You have to view this from the stand point of a black person who's tired of seeing their people harassed by police
You have to view this from the stand point of a black person that wasn't even involved in this until Trump opened his big mouth. Now he's out there taking a knee to show solidarity with some pussy-wipped jackass and bring "awareness" to an issue everyone already knows about? That's just stupid. It may take awhile for common sense to prevail, but I'm sure it will. Frankly, I'm surprised nobody has thought of a face saving way out of this for the players already. It's irresponsible.

Quote:
and not a Republican who only cares about the troops and profits.
It's so noble of you not to care about the business harm coming to the #1 creator of black millionaires in the United States. There are many, many ways to approach this problem, but the Dems/Progressives have got to make the NFL ground zero for this fight. Yeah! You're attempting to destroy black livileyhood! And it's all for the tribe, because at this point who cares about more "awareness".
Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [El Jefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does that matter? I thought your point was that they couldn't pressure these guys to do what they wanted and that's pretty much what happened, no?

Well, if my point was that they couldn't pressure them, then a counter point would have to involve some sort of pressure. No?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You have to view this from the stand point of a black person that wasn't even involved in this until Trump opened his big mouth. Now he's out there taking a knee to show solidarity with some pussy-wipped jackass and bring "awareness" to an issue everyone already knows about?"

Everybody already knows about?

About the only thing consistent with dittoheads is that you will say whatever you need to say when you need to say it to counter anything from the left, regardless if it completely contradicts an earlier position.

Hell, at least 2/3 of the people on this forum think that blacks are not unfairly targeted by police and don't seem to really care about....well.....virtually anything blacks have to deal with.......but its an issue that everyone already knows about, so why bring awareness to it. Okay.

"It's so noble of you not to care about the business harm coming to the #1 creator of black millionaires in the United States. There are many, many ways to approach this problem, but the Dems/Progressives have got to make the NFL ground zero for this fight. Yeah! You're attempting to destroy black livileyhood! And it's all for the tribe, because at this point who cares about more "awareness". "

Black football players are doing this, not me or Dems/Progressives.

Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
The whole flag thing is definitely an uniquely American thing as the Aussie poster pointed out.

Thanks for picking up on this point Len, as this is exactly what I was asking.
Why and or how did it become so uniquely American.
And even though as a return serviceman myself, I understand the flag connection with servicemen, how did first responders, police etc get so uniquely connected to the respect/disrespect thing of your flag and anthem.
We Aussies are also passionately proud of our country, and it's symbols, the flag and anthem, but what may surprising to most Americans is that we, as well as most countries don't play our anthem at schools very often, certainly not daily, nor every game nor do we necessarily have a national flag flying at the fields, or stadium where whichever sport is being played.
The anthem generally is played/sung only at game that are finals, grand finals etc and of course International Games where both countries anthems are played/sung.
But hey, I've been at a sports final where out of the 100,000 people there, more than half have boo'd the introduction of our Prime Minister. disrespectful of the Office of the PM if you ask me, but that's the way we roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To what then do you attribute this rapid fizzling out just days after Trump offered up a can of gas for their fire?
Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schools (public schools up until the kids are 17/18 years old) play the anthems at games. However, every day they have to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean that they don't have the *power* to simply just enact whatever rules they want to without having to deal with greater consequences that they'd rather not deal with.

Uh huh.

You're basically wrong about that, too, though.

Witness Jerry Jones.

They absolutely have both the power and the authority to shut down these protests if they want. Will they have to deal with consequences? Of course. Everyone has to deal with the consequences of every action they take. Like I said, it comes down to a cost/benefit judgement on their part. That's it.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
...but its an issue that everyone already knows about, so why bring awareness to it. Okay.
The rest of what you wrote above this is pure garbage, but I'm glad we could agree on this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hell, at least 2/3 of the people on this forum think that blacks are not unfairly targeted by police

And the other 1/3 won't acknowledge factual reality.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Schools (public schools up until the kids are 17/18 years old) play the anthems at games. However, every day they have to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

so looking at this for the first time, what I see, at a glance is the
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"
so the first thing you pledge to is the Flag, which is in and of itself, only a symbol of the country.
but I suppose, that reciting that every day for 8-12 years will eventually ingrain that into ones subconscious.
If only we could do that with out arithmetic times tables. :-))

I'll leave all other flag , anthem, kneeling, standing commentary to you from here on in.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Here is what a non football fan would think was going on:

Some players- were protesting something that might have had something to do with civil rights.

The boycotters- were protesting the players protesting something that "is not real", and maybe, somehow, are really disrespecting something that might be important to someone in the process.

And Trump and Pence - are protesting that the boycotters are forgetting to
protest against the players, who are protesting against something that might have had something to do with civil rights, but "wasn't real" and was really somehow how disrespecting something that someone might have thought was important to think was important.

Yeah ........this is super memorable.

It's a giant cluster all because a guy quit his job before he was going to be let go and now still can't get rehired. Nobody saw this scenario at the time. Not one of the "experts".

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I mean that they don't have the *power* to simply just enact whatever rules they want to without having to deal with greater consequences that they'd rather not deal with.

Uh huh.

You're basically wrong about that, too, though.

Witness Jerry Jones.

They absolutely have both the power and the authority to shut down these protests if they want. Will they have to deal with consequences? Of course. Everyone has to deal with the consequences of every action they take. Like I said, it comes down to a cost/benefit judgement on their part. That's it.

"Barry, you're wrong......except in the third sentence of the last paragraph ("Of course") I'm going to say that you're right. That way I can disagree with you without being wrong."

Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The rest of what you wrote above this is pure garbage, but I'm glad we could agree on this point. "

I've always been impressed with your ability to intelligently articulate your point.

Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
........but I suppose, that reciting that every day for 8-12 years will eventually ingrain that into ones subconscious.

Every now and then a free thinker manages to escape all of that. Every now and then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK.

So you agree that the owners have the authority to punish players for not standing for the anthem.

And you agree that the owners have the power to punish players for not standing for the anthem.

You just think that currently, they don't think it's in their financial interest to punish players for not standing for the anthem. (Jerry Jones excepted.)

You are really bad at articulating your point.

Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Probably back to the CFL then. More exciting game anyhow

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
You are really bad at articulating your point.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"OK.

So you agree that the owners have the authority to punish players for not standing for the anthem.

And you agree that the owners have the power to punish players for not standing for the anthem.

You just think that currently, they don't think it's in their financial interest to punish players for not standing for the anthem. (Jerry Jones excepted.) "

Yes.

"You are really bad at articulating your point. "

My running links have almost 125,000 hits. Must be because they have to read them so many times to figure out what I'm saying.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"The rest of what you wrote above this is pure garbage, but I'm glad we could agree on this point. "

I've always been impressed with your ability to intelligently articulate your point.
I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Hell, at least 2/3 of the people on this forum think that blacks are not unfairly targeted by police

You mean there is not a lot of sympathy for black dudes who get shot by police while on the way home from robbing or assaulting someone. Shocking. Just shocking. Maybe the players should be protesting criminals instead of blaming police for doing their jobs.
Quote Reply
Re: This is the week NFL and Anthem lovers will remember [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You mean there is not a lot of sympathy for black dudes who get shot by police while on the way home from robbing or assaulting someone. Shocking. Just shocking. Maybe the players should be protesting criminals instead of blaming police for doing their jobs.

1) Due process regardless of the crime (unless you're not really for constitutional rights)

2) And more importantly, what about all those black people who get harassed without having committed any crimes?

Unless you are suggesting that racism toward blacks is okay because they're just a bunch of thugs. Please clarify.

Last edited by: BarryP: Oct 9, 17 19:22
Quote Reply

Prev Next