Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pardon my ignorance [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was with IBM, even if I didn't identify myself as an employee, there are many social media restriction that I had to agree to, and violation was ground for dismissal. Linking to the business is not necessary.
And this is true of many larger corporations.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Man, you're talking a lot about your supposed belief in free speech for someone who just a few months ago was complaining about their pastor exercising their right to free speech in a manner that sounded far less offensive -- and a better use of free speech -- than the bigots whose right to free speech you're defending. That's puzzling.
First if she was out on a public corner spewing her irrational thoughts, I would not care, but she is doing it from the pulpit. She is breaking the Johnson amendment law, preaching on which politics God supports, And is showing up spewing her politics at her workplace. If a Nazi shows up at your workplace preaching Nazism then I think it fair to fire them just like if they are preaching liberal/conservative values and disrupting the workplace. If my pastor wants to go protest every Saturday then I have no problem with that, but bringing it into work is wrong.

Some of you claim to be libertarians, but your true colors show up on this topic and you are really communitarians. What other topics are you willing to throw people under the bus for? Anymore there are plenty of topics that are too controversial to have a non-popular opinion on. Nazi beliefs may be the most universally hated, but people are trashed for a whole range of political views. Freedom is eroded in the world when you support retaliatory actions against those of differing opinion. Far more damage is done by the millions who think squashing unpopular views is honorable and appropriate, then 200 nuts could ever cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
First if she was out on a public corner spewing her irrational thoughts, I would not care, but she is doing it from the pulpit. She is breaking the Johnson amendment law, preaching on which politics God supports, And is showing up spewing her politics at her workplace. If a Nazi shows up at your workplace preaching Nazism then I think it fair to fire them just like if they are preaching liberal/conservative values and disrupting the workplace. If my pastor wants to go protest every Saturday then I have no problem with that, but bringing it into work is wrong.

i, for one, hate it when pastors bring their beliefs to the workplace.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Man, you're talking a lot about your supposed belief in free speech for someone who just a few months ago was complaining about their pastor exercising their right to free speech in a manner that sounded far less offensive -- and a better use of free speech -- than the bigots whose right to free speech you're defending. That's puzzling.

Some of you claim to be libertarians, but your true colors show up on this topic and you are really communitarians. What other topics are you willing to throw people under the bus for? Anymore there are plenty of topics that are too controversial to have a non-popular opinion on. Nazi beliefs may be the most universally hated, but people are trashed for a whole range of political views. Freedom is eroded in the world when you support retaliatory actions against those of differing opinion. Far more damage is done by the millions who think squashing unpopular views is honorable and appropriate, then 200 nuts could ever cause.

Keep in mind that a lot of posters on ST are likely part of the crew that believe free speech only pertains to speech they agree with. As I told my 20 something, SJW niece, White Nationalists/KKK, whatever you want to call them are not new. They have been around a long time and they have been marching a long time. The difference is that we now have a segment of our society who think they need to protest every idea, word, belief which they don't agree with. They are useful idiots, many funded by their useful idiot parents and used by politicians. If you ignore the 200 or so permitted marches in Virginia over the weekend, today we aren't talking about them. If the media ignored them no one would even know they held their rally. Instead we have a 20 something dead, another 20 something going to jail, and a group of "adults" who want free speech to be banned. We live in a bizarre world, one in which education seems to be lacking in a large segment of our populous.

Oh, hate speech is protected, there is no exception based on your feelings. You may not like it, but that is the way it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/05/07/no-theres-no-hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/?utm_term=.b726ef6e2b44
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Keep in mind that a lot of posters on ST are likely part of the crew that believe free speech only pertains to speech they agree with. As I told my 20 something, SJW niece, White Nationalists/KKK, whatever you want to call them are not new. They have been around a long time and they have been marching a long time. The difference is that we now have a segment of our society who think they need to protest every idea, word, belief which they don't agree with. They are useful idiots, many funded by their useful idiot parents and used by politicians. If you ignore the 200 or so permitted marches in Virginia over the weekend, today we aren't talking about them. If the media ignored them no one would even know they held their rally. Instead we have a 20 something dead, another 20 something going to jail, and a group of "adults" who want free speech to be banned. We live in a bizarre world, one in which education seems to be lacking in a large segment of our populous.

Oh, hate speech is protected, there is no exception based on your feelings. You may not like it, but that is the way it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/05/07/no-theres-no-hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/?utm_term=.b726ef6e2b44

That isn't contrary to the idea of free speech. The white nationalists/kkk are free to say whatever they want. But other groups are free to oppose those ideas. That's what free speech is, the freedom to say what you want and the freedom for others to say what they want in response, which can include telling you that your ideas are stupid and offensive.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:

That isn't contrary to the idea of free speech. The white nationalists/kkk are free to say whatever they want. But other groups are free to oppose those ideas. That's what free speech is, the freedom to say what you want and the freedom for others to say what they want in response, which can include telling you that your ideas are stupid and offensive.

agreed. also a big fat LOL at pat's assertion that "what's different now" is those millennial snowflakes. what exactly are you arguing here? that the KKK have been protesting totally unmolested for years and years, watched over by a bunch of people with pictures of evelyn beatrice hall over their mantels, but suddenly it's the 'useful idiot' kids these days (who are 'lacking in education') who are ruining it? when, exactly, was the time that everyone applauded the KKK's rights? when, exactly, was the time when white supremacists marched without counter-protest?

you seem super angry.

Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
agreed. also a big fat LOL at pat's assertion that "what's different now" is those millennial snowflakes. what exactly are you arguing here? that the KKK have been protesting totally unmolested for years and years, watched over by a bunch of people with pictures of evelyn beatrice hall over their mantels, but suddenly it's the 'useful idiot' kids these days (who are 'lacking in education') who are ruining it? when, exactly, was the time that everyone applauded the KKK's rights? when, exactly, was the time when white supremacists marched without counter-protest?

you seem super angry.

I made no such assertion you are quoting the wrong person.

But people did ignore the KKK when their average rally produced 10 -20 people. Now this National rally produced about 200 people in a country of 300 million. I think ignoring them, or have a separate non-violent protest is better than anti protestors showing up with clubs and helmets instigating a clash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

you seem super angry.

I made no such assertion you are quoting the wrong person.

But people did ignore the KKK when their average rally produced 10 -20 people. Now this National rally produced about 200 people in a country of 300 million. I think ignoring them, or have a separate non-violent protest is better than anti protestors showing up with clubs and helmets instigating a clash.

my apologies, redirect to jwbeuk.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think ignoring them, or have a separate non-violent protest is better than anti protestors showing up with clubs and helmets instigating a clash.

Are you saying that's what happened in Charlottesville, that the opposition protesters are responsible for the violence that erupted?

Somehow I've managed to avoid seeing any video beyond the five second clip of the homicide.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to want a neutered pastor if you're looking to restrict her speech from the pulpit. I'd feel different about that if your complaint about your pastor came during the election cycle, which is exactly what the Johnson Amendment was intended to address -- religious entities using their status as non-profits to meddle in political elections, key word being elections. Instead your post was after the inauguration, at a time when Trump was already starting to call for some pretty controversial policies, things that a collective of evangelicals, such as Tim Keller, thought worthy of addressing based on the moral merits of his stances alone. It's your pastor's job to push people to think about things in a different way and to push people to build a better world, not necessarily to sit idly back, spewing flowery messages that make you feel fuzzy and accept where your'e at. Sometimes that comes with confronting the status quo. There's also quite a wide swath of behavior that the IRS seems disinterested in addressing when it comes to the Johnson amendment anyway. Hell, look at the conservative evangelicals who were a constant and very public part of Trump's campaign and advocacy -- Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell Jr, Pat Robertson, guys like John Hagee. These guys have far more of a following and far more influence that's questionable -- and it occurred during the election -- than a mainline, local pastor could ever have.

The fact is that you're sitting here and comparing free speech about policies to what is vile hate speech. It's impossible for white nationalism and white power speech to come from anything but a place of hatred and violence. By it's very nature, it's a call for action and violence against those it's calling to discriminate against. It cannot be anything but that. It cannot be a simple debate of policy, such as how to best deliver education standards to K-12 students, how tax policies should be handled, etc. It cannot be handled rationally. Do they deserve their right to free speech? Absolutely, that's what our country is about. But do those people deserve respect for the message they're delivering? Do they deserve to be called "good people"? Hell no, because it's inherently disrespectful and a good person doesn't advocate for putting Jews in ovens, a good person doesn't symbolically carry torches like those lit on the lawns of African Americans who struggled for civil rights in this country. And a good person doesn't defend their actions and say that some of them are good people, as our President did.

Violence is not the answer. When those who started and called for the rally are doing something that at its core incites violence -- calling for the death of people based on their race, creed, religion -- there are going to be problems. The authorities in Charlottesville should have anticipated that in our political climate, should have been ready for the few counter protestors who were ready to escalate the violence in kind. But peaceful counter protest is a core of what our country is about and should have taken place as it did; that peaceful counter protest shouldn't have been met with the violence of the bigots who started the mess. Blame should fall on the few violent counter protestors and 100% of the Nazis, skinheads, racists, etc. in the "white power" side of the event; not a single one of them is without blame, whereas only a few of the counter protestors is to blame. Conflating both sides as if they're the same is simply whitewashing the truth of the events, something our President is absolutely guilty of doing. I'm grateful for peaceful counter protest and peaceful acts of calling for us to be better toward our fellow man -- both from people such as your pastor and the peaceful protestors who were in Charlottesville. Nobody should ever lose their life for being a part of that side of the movement, and yet someone did because of one of the indefensible bigots.

patf wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
I think ignoring them, or have a separate non-violent protest is better than anti protestors showing up with clubs and helmets instigating a clash.

Are you saying that's what happened in Charlottesville, that the opposition protesters are responsible for the violence that erupted?

Somehow I've managed to avoid seeing any video beyond the five second clip of the homicide.

I am not saying that for the person crashing their car in the crowd. Though perhaps that would not have happened if no one showed up, but clearly that person is responsible for their actions no matter how upset they might have been by anything anyone else might have done. so 100% drivers fault.

I am talking about all the street violence between the Antifa and other groups. Antifa appears to have brought in hundreds of people with clubs and helmets. They never planned to be peaceful. I believe that both groups are responsible for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am talking about all the street violence between the Antifa and other groups. Antifa appears to have brought in hundreds of people with clubs and helmets. They never planned to be peaceful. I believe that both groups are responsible for that.

Right, that's the part I'm asking about. I haven't seen video. Do you have a source? I'm guessing each anticipated the violence and came prepared, to one degree or another.

I haven't watched the Vice video yet, though I hear it's an eye opener.

Last edited by: sphere: Aug 16, 17 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

Right, that's the part I'm asking about. I haven't seen video. Do you have a source? I'm guessing each anticipated the violence and came prepared, to one degree or another.

I think there's no doubt that both sides bear responsibility. If you watch the news, youd think Nazis just showed up and started beating people. The group on the Right had a permit to conduct their protest. The group on the Left couldn't stand to just ignore it, apparently didn't get a permit to counter protest, and obviously came for the purpose of stirring up shit with the Right. They need to own their part if the responsibility for the violence.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Vice video I linked, it seems from that limited perspective that the counter-protesters were initiating physical violence, swinging clubs, pepper spraying, punching, etc. far more than were the Hitler groupies.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

"Jews will not replace us".

What does that even mean?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.vox.com/...harlottesville-white

Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:

"Jews will not replace us".

What does that even mean?

Stuff like that is so dumb it is almost laughable. They have to be doing far more to hurt their cause than anything any other group is saying. heck give them an hour of prime time allowing them to show there stupidity. That would do more than any protest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
https://www.vox.com/world/2017/8/15/16141456/renaud-camus-the-great-replacement-you-will-not-replace-us-charlottesville-white

That explanation, does make then sound any smarter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found ironic, from the vice video, the Neo-Nazi claiming he was maced by a communist. I suspect he did not realize his own wit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
From the Vice video I linked, it seems from that limited perspective that the counter-protesters were initiating physical violence, swinging clubs, pepper spraying, punching, etc. far more than were the Hitler groupies.

I just rewatched the Vice video. It isn't always clear who was who but it looked to me like the counter protestors were guilty of a lot a yelling, pushing and some flailing punches. The helmeted, shielded people that were shown clubbing others were pretty clearly from the right.
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've watched several videos since. Several instances of guys dressed in black with helmets and clubs attacking the demonstrators carrying racist banners. I presume those are Antifa?

The police seem to have done a piss poor job keeping these groups apart.

Quote Reply

Prev Next