Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: More smoke [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Brings the entire election into question and 'Pubs get on board with tossing Trump and his family out of DC? (I can actually see this happening, frankly).

This is what I believe. Republicans aren't happy with Trump, establishment never really was, so any way to get him out and they will jump at the chance. You will see Ryan, et al saying, "He wasn't our guy anyway, he was keeping us from getting things done."

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I said earlier this looks really bad for Don Jr. I wonder what his lawyer thinks of him releasing the email. I hope to god he testifies on live TV in front of the Senate. Will be entertaining to say the least. I dont know campaign law at all but if laws were broken with this, I believe he should be prosecuted.

Would Trump Jr. face charges if he is a private citizen?

Trump Jr. is the one coming out but Kirshner was also involved along with Mannafort so I assume they would be in the same position.

No the question becomes what did Sr know and when or if he knew at all. Short of a confession I doubt we will ever know that.

Yes, you can bet that there is no documentation to link Trump to those conversations and if there is, I would be very surprised. There is also probably a zero chance that Trump didn't know about the meetings but it will be impossible to prove.

That's an interesting point. Is meeting with a foreign official for dirt on a candidate a crime as a private citizen? At that time he would be a private citizen working on a campaign would he not?
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
I said earlier this looks really bad for Don Jr. I wonder what his lawyer thinks of him releasing the email. I hope to god he testifies on live TV in front of the Senate. Will be entertaining to say the least. I dont know campaign law at all but if laws were broken with this, I believe he should be prosecuted.

Trump Jr. is the one coming out but Kirshner was also involved along with Mannafort so I assume they would be in the same position.

No the question becomes what did Sr know and when or if he knew at all. Short of a confession I doubt we will ever know that.

Yes, you can bet that there is no documentation to link Trump to those conversations and if there is, I would be very surprised. There is also probably a zero chance that Trump didn't know about the meetings but it will be impossible to prove.

That's an interesting point. Is meeting with a foreign official for dirt on a candidate a crime as a private citizen? At that time he would be a private citizen working on a campaign would he not?

I wouldn't believe he could claim he was a private citizen working in his own interest if he/they are officially campaign directors/advisors.

Of course, with the way most laws are written, nothing would surprise me.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other outcome and unfortunately what appears to be happening is Russia is taking advantage of our inept corruption to completely devalue the democratic process. Russia is sitting back with the biggest smile on their faces because of not only how stupid our politicians are, but how divided our country has become. I can only imagine the dirt they have on everyone, including Trump. They are sitting back playing high level chess and we are trying to figure out where the checkers get placed on the board. In the end, it doesn't matter what happens as long as it causes mass chaos. It is getting tough to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
I wonder what his lawyer thinks of him releasing the email.

If I'm not mistaken, he released them just minutes before NYT did, so I'm guessing his lawyers were advocating for it, getting out ahead of it, and all.

He released the irrelevant details of arranging the meeting. He tellingly didn't release the emails that specified *why* there was a meeting in the first place. "Transparency," my eye. It's CYA and obfuscation time.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

It's not just Trump Jr. though. Manafort and Kushner were there. In particular Kushner, who omitted this meeting from his security clearance form.

Can a normal person amend their security clearance form multiple times in the span of months and still get a top level clearance?
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can a normal person amend their security clearance form multiple times in the span of months and still get a top level clearance?

I thought it was illegal (or at least that it would mean you don't get security clearance) to file an incorrect security clearance but I see a lot of them being "amended" which means the initial one was wrong. How many times can you amend it after your memory improves before someone says enough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know. One thing I can say is this whole thing is fascinating to watch no matter which side of the aisle you fall on. I asked the question earlier, is it still collusion if no information was passed and nothing was actually used? I think they have long way to go with this. I mean its bad that he knowingly met with the Russian Lawyer. Technically, if true, and no info was passed, so technically, in this instance, Russia did not interfere. And again if the nature of the meeting was true, the promise of info on Hillary was used to nothing more get into a meeting with Don Jr.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Other realistic outcomes that could happen? If there's a there there - what are the realistic outcomes?

I don't think there is any way for this to end other than establishing that the Trump administration did work with the Russians, the Russians were involved but no one can prove the impact so nothing more can be done.

Impact doesn't matter. If you break into someone's house but don't steal anything, it is still a crime.

Kushner may be in trouble. He keeps misremembering his contacts with Russians, which calls into question his honesty in things like security clearance applications. This email chain indicates that he was informed of the reason for this meeting (dirt on Clinton from the Russian government).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the dialogue will now shift to 'intent', and Don Jr is going to have a problem explaining away the intent. And he may very well have received some real dirt on HRC which we may actually never know or can't be definitive one way or another. I personally suspect it was Russia's way to get to the Trump inner circle by pretending to have some dirt and they had some other motive (which we'll also never know).

Still ends with the question about the end result here. If no laws were broken or if Trump can simply pardon if any actual charges are filed then this is all for show. Not to say it isn't bad, really bad, as noted by Sanuk and Sphere, regarding the US election process and Russia's ability to make a mockery of our system, but no one gets punished therefore not much changes in the future.

Let's face it, political campaigns, particularly for POTUS, are nasty, dirty all-out sewer fests with billions of dollars spent. I'm sure all campaigns in our history have had some salacious underground bullshit going on but the operatives were way too smart to get caught and this crew just don't have the political sophistication to operate effectively and are too arrogant to heed strong legal/political advice.

I hadn't cared much up to this point about the 'Russia' topic and the screaming media - but now I'm starting to see some real clever manipulation by Russia and has me wondering how far this all goes and what additional issues will arise. I also hope Mueller does a very thorough job and releases all the findings so we have some chance to change laws/behaviors/campaigns in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Don't know. One thing I can say is this whole thing is fascinating to watch no matter which side of the aisle you fall on. I asked the question earlier, is it still collusion if no information was passed and nothing was actually used? I think they have long way to go with this. I mean its bad that he knowingly met with the Russian Lawyer. Technically, if true, and no info was passed, so technically, in this instance, Russia did not interfere. And again if the nature of the meeting was true, the promise of info on Hillary was used to nothing more get into a meeting with Don Jr.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone is interested and can stomach watching Hannity, Trump Jr will be on the show tonight on Foxnews at 10pm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I also hope Mueller does a very thorough job and releases all the findings so we have some chance to change laws/behaviors/campaigns in the future.

Someone pointed out that a special counsel is under no obligation to release everything (especially if the ultimate finding is "no laws were broken"), as opposed to a commission (like the 9/11 Commission) where a detailed report is expected.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
If anyone is interested and can stomach watching Hannity, Trump Jr will be on the show tonight on Foxnews at 10pm.

I'm sure we can look forward to some tough questions and hard-hitting journalism.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Trumpsters are calling the emails a giant nothingburger. This is routine campaigning they say.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I can say is this whole thing is fascinating to watch no matter which side of the aisle you fall on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

Pick one:
1. He has no lawyer
2. He is ignoring his lawyer
3. His lawyer is an idiot

From a legal perspective nothing good can come from this.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that as well. However, if there is a report, you can bet it'll make it's way to the media whether or not Mueller releases it.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
orphious wrote:

Pick one:
1. He has no lawyer

I'll be busy re-watching American Psycho.

Quote | Reply
Maybe not. Ill still watch to hear what he has to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
orphious wrote:

Pick one:
1. He has no lawyer

4. Hannity is his lawyer?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
orphious wrote:

Pick one:
1. He has no lawyer

He hired a lawyer yesterday - yea, I don't understand it as most competent lawyers would not have their clients talk

According to users on Reddit who listen to hannity's radio show - hannity's. version is:
1) this is Obama/democrats fault - they should have barred the Russian lawyer from entering the country - she was in the US to appeal the revocation of her visa in court
2) this was a set up by the democrats

http://insider.foxnews.com/...mp-jr-media-meltdown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

Maybe if the new information is self-reported. When you're just filling in gaps as information becomes public from other sources, that's a problem. Generally speaking, the biggest single red flag in a security application is unreported foreign contacts. You can do all sorts of things wrong and get some leeway. The leash for unreported foreign contacts is very, very short. At least for worker-bee clearances.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 11, 17 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
j p o wrote:
orphious wrote:

Pick one:
1. He has no lawyer

He hired a lawyer yesterday - yea, I don't understand it as most competent lawyers would not have their clients talk

According to users on Reddit who listen to hannity's radio show - hannity's. version is:
1) this is Obama/democrats fault - they should have barred the Russian lawyer from entering the country - she was in the US to appeal the revocation of her visa in court
2) this was a set up by the democrats

http://insider.foxnews.com/...mp-jr-media-meltdown

Wow, just wow.

Ok, who is on the drinking game rules?

1) Drink at shot if Hannity mentions:
a) Seth Rich murder
b) Benghazi or
c) Clinton Foundation
2) Chug a beer if Hannity claims:
a) Putin is actually in league with Hillary to embarrass Trump
b) ???

Let's go guys I need a reason to stay up to 10pm for this.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Maybe if the new information is self-reported. When you're just filling in gaps as information becomes public from other sources, that's a problem. Generally speaking, the biggest single red flag in a security application is unreported foreign contacts. You can do all sorts of things wrong and get some leeway. The leash for unreported foreign contacts is very, very short. At least for worker-bee clearances.

How can this guy still have a security clearance? Going to a meeting for the purpose of receiving intel from a Russian government operative? How can that not be a red flag to the FBI?
Quote Reply

Prev Next