Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He had two slew foots this year with no suspension. I'll believe it when I see it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We (Preds) will likely get the Suckhawks in the first round. Bring it on.

I made it to 40 out of 41 home games this year and two pre-season games. Can't wait for the playoffs. It will be interesting to see what the Wild and the Sharks do since both seem to be on the downswing.

Toronto will be good in year or two. And the Islanders have a young kid (Ho-Sang) who can skate.

I'm hoping to get to a game in Miami and Tampa Bay next year. I've been to Washington DC, San Jose and the LA Kings barns to see the Preds. Luckily I can do my work travel schedule to coincide with the Pred's game schedule.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Wild have started to find their game again. This easy run in should help with confidence.

That being said, I have been a fan of MN sports for long enough to know that nothing good ever happens. Yeo and the Blues will probably beat us in 6.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, my bad. For some reason I thought they were eliminated last night.

Tomorrow night is a huge game vs the Sens, can't wait to watch.

As much as I hate to admit it I agree on Marchand. It's frustrating to see someone with so much talent keep doing stupid, undisciplined shit. I can't imagine the league won't suspend him given his history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I think they will (and should) suspend him for the last two games where he's a repeat offender and that was a stupid and unnecessary penalty he took last night. Fortunately they were able to kill off the five-minute major but that could have been disastrous had Tampa been able to score and potentially change the outcome of the game. As much as the rest of his game has evolved, I still hate that element of Marchand's game and he keeps saying that he's moved on from the agitator role.

Aside from that, fun game to watch last night with playoff intensity, plenty of hitting on both sides and Rask having a solid game in net. These last few days will be interesting to see who gets the final playoff spots and where each team ends up seeding-wise.
Agree on Marchand, the unfortunate thing is he's largely cleaned that part of his game up--he's still a pest, doing all the little things to get under opponents skins, but it's the dirty shit that I always hated and this was the 'old' Marchand. Unnecessary, potentially very costly to the team, dangerous...it's sad because he's become such a dangerous, complete hockey player and rightly is being talked about as a potential MVP finalist.

At least the B's won, now we know they'll be playing the postseason, goal at this point is avoiding Washington. Tomorrow nights game is HUGE, Ottawa's lost 5 of 6 and 9 of 11, the B's have to take care of them on home ice. NHL should (rightfully) suspend Marchand, but I still like the B's in that one. Then a lot depends on which of Toronto's opponents play their full lineup and which rest guys, cause Pittsburgh and Columbus really don't have anything to play for.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, Kris Letang out with herniated disc in neck and having surgery. Tough blow for the Pens

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Wow, Kris Letang out with herniated disc in neck and having surgery. Tough blow for the Pens

Just saw that. Too bad for the Pens.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Tons of injuries for the Pens this year.

But I refuse to feel bad for them, ever. They lucked into two generational talents in back-to-back drafts (hell, they lucked into FOUR of the past six or seven generational players the past thirty years), and I'll never forget them consistently backing that POS Matt Cooke, who ended Savard's career. The Pens were one of my favorite teams growing up with Jagr and Lemieux but I can't stand them now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not excusing the cheap ball and dick shot by Marchmont, but, Sidney Crosby has a track record for the cheap stuff as well and he didn't get suspended for his latest ball and dick shot a couple weeks ago....just sayin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE-F31HqhnE

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, the NHL does not like to discipline it's stars. I don't think that Crosbys was as bad as Marchands. I would have been ok with a 5 minute penalty on Crosby with no suspension.

Marchands was much worse.

Did Crosby even get a penalty? Or did the refs miss it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, Crosby's is way more deliberate, the guy is right in front of him, he could have hacked him on any spot on his body, but he went right for the nuts. on Marchmont's the 2 players are kinda side by each, he's not directly looking at him and he kind of just turns and spears him, with I'd assume an educated guess that he's gonna hit him in the balls.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the only distinction that you see is that Crosby was looking? I would argue that Crosby's was more of a slash where Marchand's is a true spear. Marchand leads with the toe of his blade, if he doesn't hit him between the legs, he likely hits him in the stomach which would be much worse considering the lack of protection in that area.

Marchand has a looooooonnnnngggg history of being a dirty player. He doesn't deserve any leniency because of his goal scoring status. He has skated by without much punishment this year when he slewfooted players two times within a couple weeks. That is bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think you need to watch it again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And just for fun lets look at some of the other nasty stuff Marchand has done!

And the slewfoots...

And for those who hate him, here are the top 10 hits on Marchand. Some clean. Some... less clean.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, that is the distinction I am making. Crosby was looking right at him and went right for the nuts. To me that is more egregious than 2 guy's engaged in front of the net battling for position. Holy Fook, I'm starting to sound like Jack Edwards....

Both plays are worthy of suspension. I'd argue that Crosby's "history of being a dirty player" while not as substantial as Marchmont's, is substantial none the less.

Blep, yup agree, a deplorable play.

ETA....the slewfoots I can live with out too. I am not defending him, I just pointed out that another player hit a guy in the dick and balls with a flat out cheapshot and didn't get suspended.

Last edited by: moneydog59: Apr 5, 17 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And lets not forget these beauties.

5 games for clipping Sami Salo

Another slew foot

Yet another slew foot

And finally an elbow to the back of RJ Umbergers head.

He's a repeat offender. He should get about 5-7 games but he'll get 2 at most because the playoffs are looming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are missing the intent to injure part. Crosby used the flat of his blade. Yeah it's going to be painful but unless he is winding up with both hands, he is very unlikely to injure the player by doing that. I think it should be a penalty and probably a fine, but not a suspension.

Marchand spears the guy. I honestly think he is aiming for the belly and missed low. That action has a much higher chance to injure some body and looks much more likely to be a deliberate action to injure. With his storied history, he should miss playoff time but he won't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Point taken on Marchand. Don't agree on Crosby. He flat out zooms in on the guys nut sack, he could hit him with the stick any other part of the body, but consciously hits him in the nuts. How is that not intent to injure?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because he uses the flat of his blade. Like I said, he knew it was going to be painful, but unless he wound up and was trying to crush his nuts, he is not going to be seriously injured. In my mind, there is a difference between being in pain and being injured. Maybe that is just me. I don't think Crosby should have gotten away with no punishment though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
So the only distinction that you see is that Crosby was looking? I would argue that Crosby's was more of a slash where Marchand's is a true spear. Marchand leads with the toe of his blade, if he doesn't hit him between the legs, he likely hits him in the stomach which would be much worse considering the lack of protection in that area.

Marchand has a looooooonnnnngggg history of being a dirty player. He doesn't deserve any leniency because of his goal scoring status. He has skated by without much punishment this year when he slewfooted players two times within a couple weeks. That is bullshit.

Who gives a shit if it's slashing or spearing? Is one inherently worse or more dangerous that than the other (hint: no)? Getting someone in the nuts from behind when they have no idea you're even there is one of the cheapest, most spineless things a hockey player can do, period. That play from Crosby was absolutely worthy of a suspension. And FYI, according to Dotchin Marchand got him in the stomach.

I agree Marchand doesn't deserve any leniency from the league. He has a long history of dirty plays. But so does Crosby, and he gets plenty of leniency because of his scoring status. A little consistency in enforcement would be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not too worried about the Salo hit...big guy bearing down on a little guy looking to knock him into the cheap seats, the little guy stays low...

Clipping is a penalty in the sport of ice hockey. It is generally recognized as hitting an opposing player at or below the other player's knees.

And in true Vancouver Canucks form, Salo stays on the ice writhing in pain like he's been knee capped....and then gets up and skates away like nothing happened....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um. Elbowing is also a penalty. And guess what? Players can also be suspended for it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring the Hate baby, it's time for some fahkking PLAYOFF HOCKEY.

Hope the Leafs and the Bolts make it love their style of play, hope the Sens don't ...

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently the NHL does because they have separate penalties for each. Spearing with contact is an automatic match penalty probably because it is seen as far more dangerous and not a hockey play compared to slashing.

I have not once defended Crosby, that play is not okay with me. It's just not suspension worthy either. Maybe a fine but definitely not a suspension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
Apparently the NHL does because they have separate penalties for each. Spearing with contact is an automatic match penalty probably because it is seen as far more dangerous and not a hockey play compared to slashing.

I have not once defended Crosby, that play is not okay with me. It's just not suspension worthy either. Maybe a fine but definitely not a suspension.

Spearing is more dangerous. Typically a slash allows the force to be spread from a larger area (the shaft of the stick) through a larger part of the body. A spear or butt-end focuses all the force from a smaller area of the stick into a smaller part of the body. There is way more potential for serious injury from a spear or butt-end. The spear / butt-end also have a better chance of finding a gap between pieces of equipment.

I have been on the receiving end of all of them. I have no lasting effects from any slashes. I still have a scar from being speared 22 years ago.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply

Prev Next