Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh, maybe this is the year they don't fold.

You're starting to get a sense of the feeling in Toronto for the past 49 years. You've only been in the league for 42 years, you have to pace yourself...

As for Toronto, just making the playoffs is a big jump from the past 3 years. However after their loss to the Bruins in 2013, there was a lot of talk about how young and promising they were, only to proceed to miss the playoffs for the next 3 years. It's getting hard to get too excited when you only make the playoffs, in a league where 16 teams qualify. They have to win a round of the playoffs, for it to be a successful season.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
Buck the Fackhawks.

And you
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I'm jealous. I ended watching a replay of Flyers v Oilers 1987 Stanley cup two nights ago. Phili sports are terrible right now and the Sixers are an embarrassment to sports.

Enjoy the playoffs.

That was an epic, David vs. Goliath series.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Sigh, maybe this is the year they don't fold.

You're starting to get a sense of the feeling in Toronto for the past 49 years. You've only been in the league for 42 years, you have to pace yourself...

As for Toronto, just making the playoffs is a big jump from the past 3 years. However after their loss to the Bruins in 2013, there was a lot of talk about how young and promising they were, only to proceed to miss the playoffs for the next 3 years. It's getting hard to get too excited when you only make the playoffs, in a league where 16 teams qualify. They have to win a round of the playoffs, for it to be a successful season.

There is a massive difference between the team that blew the 4-1 lead against Boston and this team.

Fun fact: The Leafs this season have played Boston 4 times. In each game they have held a 4-1 lead at some point. They have also won each of those games.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Watch a Leafs playoff game. They are an exciting team to watch. Very fast paced lots of young players.

But know that they will likely do something stupid to blow the series.

What would ever make you think something like that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women's World's tonight. USA 2 Canada 0. Good game.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

I thought USA was boycotting because the ladies wanted more money.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I thought USA was boycotting because the ladies wanted more money.

They gots paid.

{insert raining money gif here}

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Watch a Leafs playoff game. They are an exciting team to watch. Very fast paced lots of young players.

Different team, different coach, 8 rookies two of which are only 19. No one expected them to be where they are in the standings so it's all gravy now, if they make it great if not so be it, it's been a lot of fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been making fun of the leafs, and leaf fans, since I first saw good old doug Gilmore in a chunky soup commercial.

I'm glad they're finally on the upswing. It's nice to see a Canadian team on the way up for once.

As a Canucks fan I haven't been able to follow the sport for a few years now. Just too painful and pointless. I won't watch another game until the sedins are gone and we are done paying luongos contract!!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The BIG difference with the Leafs this year, is the hustle, and not giving up. Agreed that there has been a talent injection, but the rest of it is mental, and I think that is a big part of what Coach Babcock has brought to the team.

I've watched a few games this year where the leafs have got behind early 2-0, even 3-0, and even though they have gone on to lose, they have battled and never quit until the final whistle - That's a BIG difference from past teams that would have just rolled over, and played it out.

Lifelong Leaf fan (it's personal), and will be happy to see them back in the playoffs. That never-give-up, grit, really helps in these best-of-7 series play off series.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Bruins fan I wouldn't say I hate the Leafs.They're young, talented and fun to watch, and I actually appreciate that there is an exciting divisional race for the playoffs.

As far as the B's, they're also pretty fun to watch most of the time, although the inconsistency from game to game is frustrating. I guess that's what happens when you have a lot of young players and a new coach, but after 10 years of watching the Julien style of squashing any and all offensive talent, I think it's a fair trade. I agree with everyone else that they're not poised for a deep run this year but I'm pretty stoked for next season and the prospects they're developing. I'll be bummed if they don't make the playoffs this season but mainly because they didn't fire Julien sooner.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leafs are winning again. Bruins won again. Solid battle for 3rd.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finland 4 Canada 3. (the womens)

Great game. Big surprise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Finland 4 Canada 3. (the womens)

Great game. Big surprise.

How could you tell?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Different team, different coach, 8 rookies two of which are only 19. No one expected them to be where they are in the standings so it's all gravy now, if they make it great if not so be it, it's been a lot of fun to watch.

You have to admire Leaf's fans faith. Let's just hope they don't go another 50 yrs. without a Stanley Cup.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leafs at 97% chance at the playoffs. Senators falling fast without Erik Karlsson.

Leafs 2nd in the Atlantic. Sens could be passed by Bruins. Tough game for the Bruins today. Chicago after playing yesterday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Leafs at 97% chance at the playoffs. Senators falling fast without Erik Karlsson.

Leafs 2nd in the Atlantic. Sens could be passed by Bruins. Tough game for the Bruins today. Chicago after playing yesterday.

Leafs have the toughest remaining schedule of those three. Should be a good test to see what they're really made of.

Khudobin just absolutely stole a huge win for the B's. I like your original prediction of the Leafs and B's finishing 2-3 (or vice-versa) and meeting in the first round, with the Sens dropping to the last wildcard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn you Bruins. Just go away already!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, this is what was expected from Khudobin when they re-signed him in the off-season but his play in net had been spotty all season. Good solid road win.

As a general aside, always a treat seeing a Blackhawks home game on TV to see Jim Cornielsen belt out the anthem and hear everyone sing along with Chelsea Dagger. Would love to catch a game there someday.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is getting interesting. Leafs now down to the second wildcard spot with their loss last night. Now that Tampa is out they won't have much to play for against the Leafs tomorrow night, but the real challenge is back-to-back games against Pitt and Columbus to end the season. With the B's playing Ottawa tomorrow this is going to be a scramble right to the end to see who plays Washington in the first round.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tampa is not out. They can still catch the Leafs and the Sens, however unlikely it may seem.

Leafs are one point back of Boston with a game in hand still. GO SENS GO!!!

As for the Bruins, they should play their last two games without Marchand. Should. Lets see if the NHL has the nuts to suspend him. I doubt it.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Would love to catch a game there someday.

It is a blast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they will (and should) suspend him for the last two games where he's a repeat offender and that was a stupid and unnecessary penalty he took last night. Fortunately they were able to kill off the five-minute major but that could have been disastrous had Tampa been able to score and potentially change the outcome of the game. As much as the rest of his game has evolved, I still hate that element of Marchand's game and he keeps saying that he's moved on from the agitator role.

Aside from that, fun game to watch last night with playoff intensity, plenty of hitting on both sides and Rask having a solid game in net. These last few days will be interesting to see who gets the final playoff spots and where each team ends up seeding-wise.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply

Prev Next