Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Magwister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magwister wrote:
Chris Froome's race weight is 147 lbs (66.7 kg). I reckon in a straight up 112 mile TT, Pooley beats Carfrae every time.

In IM Melbourne last year where they raced together...Pooley did 4:44:33 (after a shit 1:08:45...i.e. she cycled alone for a lot of it. She was 5s slower than YVV for best split. She was ahead of Steffen, Hauschildt and other fast cyclists) compared to Rinny's 5:00:58. The harder the course, the better Pooley will do, she is a climber. Melbourne was flat as a pancake.

You realize that Rinny is always in tourist mode in Melbourne? And how fast does Pooley go on the run relative to Carfrae when both are peaked (ex Rinny in Austria, Roth or Kona). I'm a Pooley fan (I really am, I love how she wins all those hard climbing races), but I think you have to look at the full performance, not just say, "Rinny has to learn to bike faster" As I said, she could bike faster by getting more aero, but she probably feels there is a cost to her based on her own tests. It's kind of hard to argue that much with a multiple time Kona winner for the formula that works for her....well until it does not work, so I guess that's what we're doing. I really don't think after all these years as a long course pro her bike gets much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rinny 3rd, can she get to second?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rinny 3rd. Under 2 minutes form Jackson.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching Anja running and can only think of:

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Rinny 3rd, can she get to second?

Timing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second!!!!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rinny 2nd... sheesh
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:13 and 1:15 transitions for Allen and Scott according to this:
http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#KyiIM77r43oOdSM7.99

Sounds about right, like I said, a 2;38 something. But on another topic about Patrick, assume he got his 5 min penalty for some very minor infraction and not blatant drafting, that puts him sprinting with Frodo for the win!! Too bad we were robbed of that finish, we thought we had a German ironwar, it evaporated quickly, only to find out we could have had a real one to the bitter end!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Potts has crashed as well now.

Anybody else see Potts wreck on the bike during the dismount into T2? He looked pretty shaken from it. Would disc brakes have prevented it or amputated somebody's leg at the knee?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryf could beat Rinny's record by 4-5 min. So looks like she beats the old record by 2.5 minutes? This is where the change in the swim course kind of sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate revisionist posts. ETA: I get it, it's fun to get all excited about. I just hate the "if X didn't happen Y would have occurred".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 8, 16 18:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You stated small people can't go fast. Pooley clearly can. Carfrae never would go 4:44 in Melbourne....has she ever got close to that in an IM (I can't be arsed to look that up)? Pooley ran a 3:21 marathon (8th fastest split) compared to Rinny's 3:08 (3rd fastest split). So Pooley didn't exactly blow up on the run from an especially hard bike, etc.

BTW, I'm not saying Rinny can improve. I just think you can go fast if a smaller athlete i.e. Rinny's size isn't just the reason she isn't a fantastic cyclist (relative of course).
Last edited by: Magwister: Oct 8, 16 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
stevej wrote:
dtoce wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
snaaijert wrote:
And she'll still finish 15mins down on ryf, crazy!

So when will people start saying "She should learn to bike"?

Rinny is a good triathlon biker for someone as small as she is producing such low top line wattage (given her size). She might be able to get down to Natasha Badmann range with more aero tweaks but at what cost to her run. Keep in mind that Rinny's times have generally all been faster than Natasha at her peak and also as fast or faster than PNF (an athletes of the same size who biked faster but ran slower....also keep in mind that PNF was able to ride with age group men. Her times would be slower today riding solo).

but she has to learn to do something that gets her in contention earlier...running down people who are SO far ahead is super challenging

change something Rinny.

You know I love you!

I think she's doing everything she possibly can to get into contention sooner. It's easy for us to coach her on ST. I'm sure Siri and her have been working on her swim & bike the last few years.

I would be interested to see her splits from the past 4 years and whether the swim and bike splits have improved much.

Won't make a difference. Every year the conditions are different apples to oranges

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll all still know who has the course record, shorter swim or longer swim be damned

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
BMANX wrote:
Potts has crashed as well now.

Anybody else see Potts wreck on the bike during the dismount into T2? He looked pretty shaken from it. Would disc brakes have prevented it or amputated somebody's leg at the knee?

If he was on the disc bike, he would have been so far ahead that none of that would have ever happened.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daniela wins the race, gets the record in dominating fashion, and still has enough to run a couple more laps and dance a jig. She's amazing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8:46 for Ryf!

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Daniela wins the race, gets the record in dominating fashion, and still has enough to run a couple more laps and dance a jig. She's amazing!

She is SCARY good.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate revisionist posts. ETA: I get it, it's fun to get all excited about. I just hate the "if X didn't happen Y would have occurred".

I know, just like when LVL went 8;04 with his penalty, was that going to be a sub 8 day? But suffice it to say that lopping 5 minutes off of Patricks time and just seeing the zip code he would then be racing in, well it would have been a much closer finish for sure. Of course he got that 5 minutes of rest before starting his run, and that alone is what put him under 2;40, but you certainly do not get a one to one trade off on resting before you start and time off at the end.. thats all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
snaaijert wrote:
fulla wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

Rinny is a good triathlon biker for someone as small as she is producing such low top line wattage (given her size). She might be able to get down to Natasha Badmann range with more aero tweaks but at what cost to her run. Keep in mind that Rinny's times have generally all been faster than Natasha at her peak and also as fast or faster than PNF (an athletes of the same size who biked faster but ran slower....also keep in mind that PNF was able to ride with age group men. Her times would be slower today riding solo).

You always come back to this 'size' thing with men and women on the bike leg of the triathlon. How big is Alberto Contador? He is a pretty handy time trialist. How big are the best female time trialists in the world? I'm sure they are not much bigger, if they are bigger at all, than any strong female cyclists in a triathlon. Alistair Brownlee is hardly big yet he seems to be able to deliver some pretty big watts in his ITU races.

Is Badmann much bigger than Rinny?

I agree. Look at Emma Pooley or Evelyn Stevens. Both tiny and fast. But not as lean as Carfrae though.

You guys realize that Emma Pooley would not be able to match Rinny's bike split in Kona?

To fulla, the Contador example is world's away from Rinny. Contador is still 62 kilos. Carfrae is 52 kilos, Pooley is 48 kilos. Alistair Brownlee is 70 kilos, Kienle 73 kilos, Frodo 75 kilos. Brownlee is hardly small in that context. He is basically the same weight at Chris Froome (69-71 kilos).

What I was getting at is that many pro cyclists are quite small, just look at the size of them on the podiums next to skinny models. Often smaller. Their size does not seem to make them much worse at time trialing. Whilst some of the bigger guys do well at time trials, there are plenty of "little" guys who do ok.

I think Brownlee is smaller than 70kgs.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She CHICKED a lot of good pro men. YES!

Sanders and McMahon almost got CHICKED in regards to their times. WOW!
Last edited by: BMANX: Oct 8, 16 18:24
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
M~ wrote:
stevej wrote:
dtoce wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

but she has to learn to do something that gets her in contention earlier...running down people who are SO far ahead is super challenging

change something Rinny.

You know I love you!

I think she's doing everything she possibly can to get into contention sooner. It's easy for us to coach her on ST. I'm sure Siri and her have been working on her swim & bike the last few years.

I would be interested to see her splits from the past 4 years and whether the swim and bike splits have improved much.

Won't make a difference. Every year the conditions are different apples to oranges

Not if you look at her relative position and relative splits.

Quote | Reply
Ryf could beat Rinny's record by 4-5 min. So looks like she beats the old record by 2.5 minutes? This is where the change in the swim course kind of sucks.

Well at least she beat it by enough to cover the new spread on the swim, so its all good.. So this is the new normal, it is what this course has to offer the women of the future. Gonna be pretty hard since no one within 20 minutes, we have another Chrissie on our hands it appears.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

She is SCARY good.

No doubt. There was Ryf and then a race for ........ a ......... very ......... distant ......... 2nd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he served his penalty about at the first penalty tent. So he biked for about 3 more hours solo before the run.

It was a great run, never know how it would have happened if he came off near the front maybe he and frondo blow up running so fast off the bike that they crack and sebi wins, maybe.... maybe.... maybe.....

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next