Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
snaaijert wrote:
And she'll still finish 15mins down on ryf, crazy!

So when will people start saying "She should learn to bike"?

Rinny is a good triathlon biker for someone as small as she is producing such low top line wattage (given her size). She might be able to get down to Natasha Badmann range with more aero tweaks but at what cost to her run. Keep in mind that Rinny's times have generally all been faster than Natasha at her peak and also as fast or faster than PNF (an athletes of the same size who biked faster but ran slower....also keep in mind that PNF was able to ride with age group men. Her times would be slower today riding solo).

You always come back to this 'size' thing with men and women on the bike leg of the triathlon. How big is Alberto Contador? He is a pretty handy time trialist. How big are the best female time trialists in the world? I'm sure they are not much bigger, if they are bigger at all, than any strong female cyclists in a triathlon. Alistair Brownlee is hardly big yet he seems to be able to deliver some pretty big watts in his ITU races.

Is Badmann much bigger than Rinny?

I agree. Look at Emma Pooley or Evelyn Stevens. Both tiny and fast. But not as lean as Carfrae though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at Lange, holy crap!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dtoce wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

Rinny is a good triathlon biker for someone as small as she is producing such low top line wattage (given her size). She might be able to get down to Natasha Badmann range with more aero tweaks but at what cost to her run. Keep in mind that Rinny's times have generally all been faster than Natasha at her peak and also as fast or faster than PNF (an athletes of the same size who biked faster but ran slower....also keep in mind that PNF was able to ride with age group men. Her times would be slower today riding solo).

but she has to learn to do something that gets her in contention earlier...running down people who are SO far ahead is super challenging

change something Rinny.

You know I love you!

She can't magically "learn" something. She just physically cannot produce more watts on the bike. It's like asking a linebacker to learn how to do the balance beam in the olympics gymnastic competition. At some point you can't defy your body's dimensions. As I said, she might be able to tweak out some aero gains, but is there a cost to her run? All the pro women up to now who are that small who biked faster ran slower. No one has run as fast as Rinny while riding like PNF or Badmann out of a frame as small as those girls. There is no magic learning to be done here. Rinny's bike was in a respectable range of other pro women. Ryf is out of this world as Chrissie was. Both were much bigger athletes.

I can totally respect that. But to get to the top, you've got to make changes somewhere.
Just sayin'
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [flyingirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Lange pass tho
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [shamrocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shamrocks wrote:
mattr wrote:
You would think with the lead Ryf has and Rinny moving up, they would drop the coverage on Ryf and roll back to the 2-5 women runners.

You must be new here

No, I say they same thing every year after watching the leaders for hours while all the action is going on behind them. I keep hoping someone from Ironman will read my post and think.... Hey, all the action is behind the leaders, maybe we should drop the cameras back.

They must have read the post. The camera finally found Patrick Lange.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dtoce wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

but she has to learn to do something that gets her in contention earlier...running down people who are SO far ahead is super challenging

change something Rinny.

You know I love you!

She can't magically "learn" something. She just physically cannot produce more watts on the bike. It's like asking a linebacker to learn how to do the balance beam in the olympics gymnastic competition. At some point you can't defy your body's dimensions. As I said, she might be able to tweak out some aero gains, but is there a cost to her run? All the pro women up to now who are that small who biked faster ran slower. No one has run as fast as Rinny while riding like PNF or Badmann out of a frame as small as those girls. There is no magic learning to be done here. Rinny's bike was in a respectable range of other pro women. Ryf is out of this world as Chrissie was. Both were much bigger athletes.

She did give up 4 minutes on the swim as well today.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is gonna podium....runs like a maniac......
dtoce wrote:
can Lange make it to the podium
I'd bed 'yes'

wow-very impressive running this late in the race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you he had another mile I bet he could get 2nd but alas I think he will fall short of that.

Train to race. Race to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lange now closing in on 3rd. Impressive run
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Crazy. Finally coverage of this. Absolutely amazing run.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
shamrocks wrote:
mattr wrote:
You would think with the lead Ryf has and Rinny moving up, they would drop the coverage on Ryf and roll back to the 2-5 women runners.

You must be new here

No, I say they same thing every year after watching the leaders for hours while all the action is going on behind them. I keep hoping someone from Ironman will read my post and think.... Hey, all the action is behind the leaders, maybe we should drop the cameras back.

only messing, I agree totally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
dtoce wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

change something Rinny.

You know I love you!

I can totally respect that. But to get to the top, you've got to make changes somewhere.
Just sayin'

What makes you think they haven't already changed things?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is with the cameramen with the cameras 3 inches off the pavement? Did someone teach them in the 60s that was a cool shot so they just kept doing it?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Yes, holy crap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shamrocks wrote:
That Lange pass tho

WTF!!! Lange will probably take 2nd. Insane run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
change something Rinny.

She tried riding with the pack once and ran poorly (by her standards). Too much surging and stupidity.
Then she went back to a super controlled ride that allowed her to run into the win.
She has her energy expenditure strategy pretty dialled for delivering lowest overall time she can. Unfortunately she is up against possibly the best ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just go back in this thread, I Brough him up over an hour ago!! Germans 1.2, and 3 it looks like to me!!

Of course I'm not covering this race except for here, so nothing I can do about the cameras//)-;
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
alien wrote:
From the footage I saw the bike looked like it was getting blown around a lot more than the others. I would have been thinking, "Get me off this thing!!!!"

It looked horrible, i thought he was going to come off.
and HE looked horrible coming off into T2, yeesh! maybe he was riding extra hard for some kind of bonus, but he was
notably a wreck compared to others.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun fact... the last time a country swept the podium in the men's race was in 1997 with Germany also taking the top three (Hellreigel, Zack, Leder)

Train to race. Race to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flyingirish wrote:
Looks like Lange can grab 3rd

TOP 10 Pro Men - Thru Run Split 9 - Hina Lani inbound - 21.56 mi

1 7:34:52 Jan Frodeno
2 7:39:08 4:16 Sebastian Kienle
3 7:42:38 7:46 Ben Hoffman
4 7:42:58 8:06 Andi Boecherer
5 7:43:19 8:28 Patrick Lange
6 7:43:25 8:33 Tim O'Donnell

Lange is flying. He has to run 50 seconds faster per mile than Kienle to get 2nd. It's almost in the cards.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh oh, ITB issues with Lange?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So will Lange crack the 2:39 mark today?

Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's Patrick Lange's first appearance in Kona, and to be honest: It's his first full-distance ever! The IM North American championships had a modified bike course of 94 miles due to flooding - so Lange is doing his first real full-distance today. By the way: Do you know his coach? It's 2005 IM world champ Faris Al-Sultan

V

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
So will Lange crack the 2:39 mark today?

I can watch this guy run all day long. It reminds me of watching Whitfield.....completely smooth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shamrocks wrote:
Uh oh, ITB issues with Lange?

This dude has a bottle tucked in his jersey!! LOL!
Quote Reply

Prev Next