Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tubular question [ken-ji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the gluing tape acts as an additional cushioning element, it affects the rolling resistance of the wheel.
Results we got from the Wheel Energy Laboratory show an higher power absorption - given the same wheel, tubular, inflating pressure, testing machine, load and testing temperature - using Carogna tape (or other competitors' tapes) compared to mastics (any mastic, as differences between mastics are neglectable in terms of rolling resistance).
To talk about numbers:
a Vittoria Triathlon tubular 22 mm absorbs 32,8 W at 40 km/h and 9 bar when glued with mastic, while it absorbs 39,1 W when glued with Carogna tape (same conditions).

It's 6,3 W, a 20% difference that is mantained reducing the inflating pressure.
At 6 bar, the power absorption becomes 37,1 W for mastic, 44,6 W for Carogna, 7,5 W of difference.
Is this an acceptable penalty to pay for convenience of use?
Each one has his/her answer to that, and is obviously correct whatever it is, depending on the specific goals.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [effettomariposa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. The newest Jantex tapes are very thin, it would be interesting to see how they fare i.e. would they absorb much wattage? I haven't ever used Tufo tape, but it looks very thick & cushioned, so imagine that's pretty poor Crr wise, and a PITA to install.

I actually use the Jantex Alloy (#76) rim gluing tape on Carbon rims, so far so good and that included Frankfurt at 104 degrees. Interesting that people talk about tape residue; I find that if the tyre is on the rim long enough, the tape comes away still attached to the tyre bed, ideal for use as a spare.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [rTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought we outlawed anyone on ST using tubular tape years ago. If you want to go the same speed on more watts than glue go for it. Otherwise glue them on correctly, multiple layers of glue on both the tube and rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
AFM tested the difference and it was pretty noteworthy. Check out his data for specifics.

Sorry, who is AFM? And have you got a link about that test?
Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [evolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks mate!!! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most recent test at that link was 7 years ago. There is no standardisation of tyre size, wear and the gluing/taping methods, so direct comparisons are flawed at best for the purpose of this topic.

Or did I miss something?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I just posted the requested info, but if you have a link to better info on tubulars I'd be excited to see it.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, the default setting when in ST mode is often snark!

I cannot find any solid comparative data on this out there, just anecdotal. I do find the Jantex 76 is great on carbon rims though, and is a lot less 'spongy' than it's predecessor.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the effetto mariposa caragno tape. Faster, easier, cleaner!! I made the switch last year and always glued and won't go back, no mess, no fuss and no waiting for glue to dry to apply layers. So much cleaner and no need for googone. I've stripped many rims down to the carbon and still do but I try to get anyone I've changed out to switch. Once you've tried it you won't go back to mastik again. Definitely need to strip the rim down to a clean surface before applying otherwise it's a pain to remove but if you start with a clean carbon rim it's less work when removing and much easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hah no worries, I really would like to see more data on tubies... it's rare. (Especially rare for track tubies... somebody buy a $400 conti olympic II and send it to Tom to test ;) )

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also be very interested in seeing data on thick v thin tapes.

I have some of the (thick / spongey) carogna stuff in the garage but after reading the above results I am wondering if it is worth fitting ... :-(

If the 'thin' Velox 76 is noticeably better and approaching the mastic option than that could be a way to go.

If they are all crap I best learn how to glue ... lol

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glue tape = slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Historically for sure, but there hasn't been any comprehensive or rigorous testing in recent years using modern tyres or various tapes. With the growing popularity of clinchers I understand that; however your statement isn't backed up by this type of testing. I doubt you're bothered mind you :)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Used Tufo tape once- thick ,messy to remove. Velox/Jantex 76 is thin and strong, used on carbon rims , prestretched tubular can be changed in 2 minutes ( rarely needed - less than once a season)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Historically for sure, but there hasn't been any comprehensive or rigorous testing in recent years using modern tyres or various tapes. With the growing popularity of clinchers I understand that; however your statement isn't backed up by this type of testing. I doubt you're bothered mind you :)

I did a lot of the original testing on both Tufos and Tufo tape. Just google my name and Tufo and you'll find it. There are parts of the Czech Republic where I wouldn't dare go today. The Tufo tape consistently cost 4+ watts.

There is no reason to believe this has changed with new tapes. If an adhesive is sticky, flexible, or tacky after it is applied and dried, CRR will be bad. And that means just about any tape you might apply -- as well as some glues. There's no getting around that. That's how it was 12 years ago. That's how it is now.

The only way to avoid adhesive loss is to use an adhesive that becomes completely inflexible after curing. Shellac is the only tire adhesive I know that fits the bill. Well-cured Mastik 1 is a close second. Tape, by its nature, will never come close.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Jan 20, 17 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting info thanks :-)

So a picture is starting to build i.e. from tests :

• Carogna = 7.5w per wheel.
• Tufo = 4w per wheel.

Both the above are thicker type tapes.

So the missing link is a value for a thin vellox 76 type of tape.

Once that is known I would be happier making an informed decision i.e. 'Maybe' sacrifice 1 or 2 watts for the ease of using a tape ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why give up a few watts when glue is so easy?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never used it - it scares me ... lol

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using glue for 30 years, so I don't even think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Interesting info thanks :-)

• Tufo = 4w per wheel.

Just to be clear that was for the "tufo extreme," which is thinner. The regular tape was more like 7 watts.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
I have never used it - it scares me ... lol

It's not that bad. I mount my wheel on a truing stand and use a hobby epoxy brush to apply two thin coats of glue (Mastik 1). The only part that scares me is centering the tire onto the rim, which is done on a final wet coat of glue. I have a little bit of time to wiggle the tire to center it then before the glue dries, but sometimes the tire still doesn't end up dead center.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular question [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried this ?

If it has the bennifits of a glue with what appears to be the ease of fitment provided by a tape, could it be a winner ... ? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read some stories on WW about tires not holding...but that is a story one can read about just any adhesive. Mastik just seems to have the fewest stories like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see how it could work... but man I just don't think I'd ever trust it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next