Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"The hardest trail race in the world."
Quote | Reply
Yup, big words, but it sure seems to live up to it.
Seems far harder than even completing an IM.

And the entry fee for this elite event?
$ 1.60

Cool documentary about the crazy race on netflix, we just saw it last night.
Trailer here:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 14, 16 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: "The hardest trail race in the world." [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool. I will look for it later on Netflix.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alternate title: the wackiest trail race in the world.

The unmarked aspect of it makes it a bit different to me. Less of a trail race than an orienteering/adventure event.

I'd argue that the hardest race is the HURT 100 in Hawaii. I have hiked those trails, and could never conceive of covering 100 miles like that.

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched it Friday night, a cool adventure. Neat that such a low % of people finish it. The old-timer who runs the thing seemed to really watch the folks suffer. He gives them an opportunity to fail. Driving in Vancouver gives me the same opportunity.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a race. Some people make it a race. Wonderland trail circumnavigating Mt Rainier. 93 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing. It is a 10-14 day hike typically. Some have done it in 2 days.

http://www.bing.com/...-27&sp=-1&sk=
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just watched that last night, on my sister's recommendation! Quite entertaining and motivating. The RD seems like quite a character (and a bit of a sadist). Overall, I found it both horrifying and inspiring to see what these athletes put themselves through, and accomplish. The idea that failure has to legitimately be an option before you can know what your actual limits are resonated with me.

"Test everything, cling to what is good." - St. Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched it a couple weeks back. Very good.

When I think back to a recent long run, or long hard ride, or even completing my last IM - those were hard at the time. But not THAT hard, in the grand scheme of things. Not even close. The level of fitness & mental focus required just to complete the "fun run" has to be incredible.

One of my co-workers did the race last year or the year before. I don't think he completed one loop.

The cruel part is that if you quit part-way through a loop, you still have to walk 10 miles back. Ouch.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I'm eager to see the movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to apply this year. I feel comfortable that I have at least a decent chance of getting accepted, but I fear that this movie may create more demand for the few spots available.

(I know, where's the cry like a little bitch thread)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched about a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Can't say I'd thoroughly enjoy the race, but hey, who knows :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
''Everyone could use a little more pain in their life'' one of the competitors1

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F@&king Nuts! That said I have a plaid shirt and license plate lying around...

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: "The hardest trail race in the world." [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Not a race. Some people make it a race. Wonderland trail circumnavigating Mt Rainier. 93 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing. It is a 10-14 day hike typically. Some have done it in 2 days.

http://www.bing.com/...-27&sp=-1&sk=

This. If you want to do the hardest trail race in the U.S. then do Hardrock. It is a real race.

If you want to bushwhack your way through trees and scrub with little idea of where you are going so you can tell people how hard it was then you can do that anywhere. It won't be a race but you can pretend it was a race just like Barkley pretends its event is a race.
Quote Reply
Re: "The hardest trail race in the world." [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fyi, I have done neither. But, watching the doc, l got the sense that there is a little bit more to it. There is clearly an intense mental element to this event that l'm not sure l even comprehend ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
This. If you want to do the hardest trail race in the U.S. then do Hardrock. It is a real race.

If you want to bushwhack your way through trees and scrub with little idea of where you are going so you can tell people how hard it was then you can do that anywhere. It won't be a race but you can pretend it was a race just like Barkley pretends its event is a race.

Strong words. Have you done it?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: "The hardest trail race in the world." [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about less than one day?

WONDERLAND: Gary Robbins' Run Around Rainier | The Ginger Runner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH4Zq6j0hZQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up playing in woods like that near there. I can't imagine going more than a few miles in that stuff. It's steep, no trails, brushy, and canopy so thick you can't see more than about 50 yards. If you have a map, it's almost useless because you can't see far enough to pick out any landmarks anyway. I like crazy races, but this one sounds just like pure misery. People that finish that thing are amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

Based on what can you say that Barkleys is not a real race? Many amazing runners have been humbled by Barkleys, 66k of climbing is no joke. I believe it took Blake Wood several tries to finish Barkleys, and btw Blake Wood won Hardrock a couple times. David Horton finished Barkleys in 58 hours, he also won Hardrock in 29 hours. Its ok that you don't think that Barkleys is a real race, because there are a lot of amazing ultra runners who do think it is.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Mar 14, 16 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: "The hardest trail race in the world." [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barkleys is a different type of beast than something like Hardrock or Badwater, but its 100% a race....and an evil one at that.
Quote Reply
Re: "The hardest trail race in the world." [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Based on what can you say that Barkleys is not a real race? Many amazing runners have been humbled by Barkleys, 66k of climbing is no joke. I believe it took Blake Wood several tries to finish Barkleys, and btw Blake Wood won Hardrock a couple times. David Horton finished Barkleys in 58 hours, he also won Hardrock in 29 hours. Its ok that you don't think that Barkleys is a real race, because there are a lot of amazing ultra runners who do think it is.

Remember the time Blake Wood was disqualified for leaving the unmarked course for a hundred yards? The "race" director has a history of changing the course and the rules to prevent finishing. To me a race requires a course where you can test yourself against the other racers. Barkely is an event. It is not a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
chuy wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Remember the time Blake Wood was disqualified for leaving the unmarked course for a hundred yards? The "race" director has a history of changing the course and the rules to prevent finishing. To me a race requires a course where you can test yourself against the other racers. Barkely is an event. It is not a race.

So you're not going to enter?

The movie shows a pretty good race. But the event is clearly the best part and the primary reason to race.
Quote Reply