Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town?
Quote | Reply
I'm coming back to the US to do, amongst other things, Timberman in a couple of weeks. During the month in the US, I'll be visting NY a couple of times (for the first time), with a total of 4 or 5 days in town. Other than the obvious things like the Statue of Liberty and Empire State building, the only thing on my to-do list is to run round central park, which has been an ambition for 20 years.

What else would you suggest for a first time visitor to New York. I like finding places that aren't the normal tourist haunts, the places the locals go to (like cafe's etc) and I prefer to walk around a new city to get a feel for it.

Be grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Justin.
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patsy Pizzeria
Brooklyn
Just on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of a general question....so let's narrow it down a bit....

What are you into?

Arts, sciences - museums?

Shopping?

Music?

Into areas a "little rough around the edges", (i.e, Greenwich Village) or more refined (Upper West or East side)?

If you want to just "explore" an area, get a map and zero in on what are very loosely defined neighborhoods - So/Ho, Chelsea, West Village, Upper West Side, etc. There's lot's to be discovered in each area, and you can definitely keep busy for a day or more in each.

Key thing is - there's lot's of tourists everywhere - but if you want to stay away from the usual, just stay out of midtown (Times Square).

Lets us know what you're interested in and I'll try to be more specific with recommendations.....

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been here in NYC since July 28 and my base is in the East Village. So far I've walked Uptown, Midtown, Downtown (including Century 21 for shopping, and of course Ground Zero), China town, Little Italy, Canal Street, Soho, Noho, East Village, Greenwich Village, Chelsea, Union Square, Rockefellar Centre, Times Square, Central Park etc.. I've seen a couple of shows and visited MoMA, The Met, and Guggenheim is slated for today. I've been out to Brooklyn - something Slope Area, Cooney Island. I've ridden the Staten Island Ferry. I've eaten at a few hot spots, and since I'm situated in the East Village there are tons of great bars/lounges/restaurants all just a block or two away from "home". I think for tomorrow I'm going to rent a bike (boy do I miss my bike) and ride central park, and maybe down to Battery Park. One point to consider is that I am a single female so I need to still keep my safety in mind. So my questions is... as my time here comes closer to an end (I leave Aug 11) what do you recommend I still do?

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm, wow, you've been kinda busy! That's alot to cover in a week or so.

How about the Upper West Side for the Museum of Natural History and a nice sidewalk dinner/lunch at Nice Matin (79th St. at Amsterdam Ave) for great steak frites and some awesome Belgian beer?

Not sure what kind of cycling you're into but you can check out "centralparkbiketour.com" they offer a deal that includes bike rental.

I haven't spent much time in the East Village, but I had a great lunch at Otto in the West Village a few weeks ago.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's way too much to list, but I thought I'd mention the cathedrals for starters. St. Patrick's is the obvious one, but I just love walking around St. John the Divine, on the Upper West Side right below Columbia University. It was long known among locals as "St. John the Unfinished" because they never got around to creating the elaborate roof design, among other items. Then in the '80s they started training convicts as stone masons and they produced some good gargoyles. It's worth a trip to that neighborhood, since there are some great cafes, Columbia, and a laid-back jazz club called Smoke not too far from there.

I also like taking visitors for a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Take the 4,5 or 6 subway to the Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall Station, the N or R subway to City Hall, or the 2 or 3 subway to Park Place and there you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find the road out of town and start driving. NYC is terrible, especially in the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask a simple question and you'll get 3,000,000,000 answers that are all good.

Bottom line is that pretty much everywhere in NYC you'll find something really cool to do. Some things are more well known than others.

It's too difficult for a New yorker to tell you all the really cool things that go on there on a daily basis.

Jump in - get yourself lost in Manhattan - and keep your eyes open. You may find yourself standing in front of someplace amazing!

And remember - TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY YANKEE'S SUCK. They like that. ;-)

Edit: I meant TELL EVERYONE THAT THE RED SOCKS SUCK. They like that. (sorry)

It's a dry heat!
Last edited by: mohole15: Aug 6, 05 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [njmtbbg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the love of God, don't eat in any of the 'chain' restaurants....

You may want to visit SBR Multisports..
58th St. but the cross streets escape me...

Please go to the site of the World Trade Center.

Good luck,

B.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez!

Brunei.
You're coming a long way for Timberman!Welcome to NY!

I'll be at Tman too.

If you like great art, visit Chelsea.
Running next to the Westside Hwy is awesome.
You can start from the Meat Packing District and head all the way to the Brooklyn Bridge.Check out the USS Intrepid and the Concorde and the awsome SR71 Blackbird.All docked by the highway.

For the best meal ever....Son Cubano on 14th in the meat packing district is the bomb!
Best meal I've ever had anywhere in the world...and I've travelled quite a bit.
Its like going to Havana.

Get the Grilled Salmon w/ mango salsa over coconut rice with a side of crispy fried plantains and black beans....; )

Have fun and introduce yourself at T-Man.

Fish

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While down there last month for the NYC Tri, a friend who is a long-time resident insisted on taking the subway to Brooklyn and walking back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge. HIGHLY recommended!!

Strolling through The Ramble in Central Park was also very nice, especially post-race.

It is a truly wonderful city -- almost enough to allow me to forgive all the schmucks wearing Yankees gear!
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of that gear had '26 Time World Champion' on it?

just wondering,

B.
Born 1970
Misericordia Hospital
Bronx, New York

Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [njmtbbg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The place is otherwise called Grimaldi's and it is awesome! Also go to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory next door for some dessert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must come out to Park Slope in Brooklyn to JackRabbit Sports. It's got the greatest staff and shoe fitter/experts in the area, bar none. You can get video taped running from three angles and then you get expert advice and service on what shoe would best serve your needs as an athlete. Great selection of tri clothing too, and coaching services for all levels of triathletes and runners. Lee Silverman, the owner, is a frequent poster here, and I just so happen to be the store manager, but I shopped there regularly long before I worked there.

for directions, visit the website:
jackrbt.com

Tripoet
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it has been pretty much non stop since I landed (and I've got the blisters to prove it). Thanks for the additional suggestions. I realize this is not my thread but I also appreciate the feedback from everyone (directed to me or not). I did make it to both SBR and Jack Rabbit Running (?) in Brooklyn. Information about both stores can be found on the internet. I've walked into several run/bike stores in my travels. I picked up a great cycling map of Manhattan. I'm also looking to see what "America" has come up with now. So far not too much is different from what I have in Canada. Oh, I also forgot to mention that I have walked across the Brooklyn bridge too.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enough out of you.

Respect your elder.

Born 1949
Emerson Hospital
Concord, MA
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for some great replies.

Tripoet, I will definitely be coming to JRS, I had already decided that after other recommendations here. I need to stock up with shoes for the next 12 months as we have no running stores in the country here, so sometime in the next few weeks (possibly next sunday) you'll be seeing an English guy called Justin turning up on your doorstep.

I'll be spending next weekend at my cousins in Brooklyn while I get over my jetlag (24 hours of flying) so will probably walk across the bridge and around Manhattan on the Sunday (after I've built up my shiny new bike heh heh). I'll have two other 2-day stays in NYC during the trip, probably staying in a small hotel on the upper east side.

What do I like to see and do, well that's a difficult one. I probably won't spend more than 1 day in museums, despite being a science nut, simply because I want to get a feel for the city, but also because I'll get a tour round the Natural History museum as that's where my cousin works. Probably one other museum would be for art, no real preferences on that front, but one with a good electronic guide would be useful. I know jack about art, but spent an entire day in the national gallery in London utterly mesmerised by the cdrom guide they had that had about 20 hours of info on it that told you so much about the paintings and the life of the artists. Completely opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Most likely I'll pick a neighbourhood each day and walk around it to see what's there. I love to try little eating places and pretty much never hit the chain restaurants, why eat the same thing in different places when you can eat fresh stuff prepared locally.

Swordfish, I'll be camping at Timberman for the weekend and staying for the after race party. I'll be the english guy with the shiny new black titanflex, tsr race top during the race and peaceful tribe shirt at other times.

Looks like I won't be short of a few things to do.

Cheers,

Justin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soon to be 27, I'd like to add...

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you start in either.
Quote Reply
Re: slightly OT. New Yorkers, what's good to see in your town? [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" While down there last month for the NYC Tri, a friend who is a long-time resident insisted on taking the subway to Brooklyn and walking back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge. HIGHLY recommended!! "
--------------------------------------------------

Definitely one of the best things to do. Try and make sure that you are walking towards Manhattan as all the lights are coming on the buildings - magic!

Taking the Staten Island Ferry is a great, free trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cough
'Bucky Dent'
cough

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bastard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness I was happy to see the Sox win the World Series last year (this coming from a guy who was in Yankee Stadium for game seven of the ALCS - the culmination of 'the comeback'). It was the most ultimately dramatic way to chase away the ghosts of Dent, Boone and Buckner.

I also had the chance to visit Fenway last year. The most striking part of it for me was the 'smallness' of the venue. As an old time stadium you felt as if you were close to the players and the field. I wish more stadiums were like that. So that fans could feel a part of the game.

By the way, my Yanks are in trouble this year....(insert gnashing of teeth)

B.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peaceloveflowers. Having yanked my chain (at least you had the decency to not mention Buckner), it was good of you to make a few concessions - truly appreciated!!

It's tough to hate something that is truly admirable. I've been double-whammied this way, begrudgingly admiring not only the Yankees but also the Montreal Canadians. Of course, since George got on the scene it has been much easier to hate the Yankees........but admittedly the Sox are also pretty damn mercenary as well.

I was offended almost to tears wehn the Sox took down the screen over the Green Monster and built those seats instead. There was hardly anything more beautiful to watch than a ball arc its way into the screen, and that's now a thing of the past, bought out to provide a few seats for the well-heeled.

Yeah, I think the Yankees are in a spot of trouble.....but the Sox better get their own pitching straightened, too! There are other pretenders to the throne, I'm afraid.

Train hard, cheer well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
cough
'Bucky Dent'
cough

I thought "Bill Buckner" was the killshot??? What do I know, alls I gots is da Phils???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next