Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SCOTUS and gay marriage - game on! [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think legal rights and romantic commitments are mutually exclusive

Exactly. It isn't an either or.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS and gay marriage - game on! [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
That may well be true, but his point is valid nonetheless. Even though I support SSM as the best available solution, arguing for SSM on the grounds of human or civil rights but not for polygamy doesn't hold up to cursory examination. Once we redraw the line anywhere beyond the point of heterosexual monogamy among two consenting adults, it becomes arbitrary and not firmly rooted in any particular principle beyond what society chooses to accept at that point in time. I'm fine with that, but let's acknowledge it for what it really is--a matter of subjective fairness, and not objective right.

I think the Roosevelt quotation in your signature applies very well here. (Actually, the quotation makes no sense logically, since it he was right then doing nothing would be the "most wrong thing"--but despite the illogic, we still have a pretty good idea what he meant.)

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS and gay marriage - game on! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Maybe its because the ladies want a romantic commitment. "

The list of reasons is long. I'm sure romantic commitment is among them.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS and gay marriage - game on! [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Then you are also treated unfairly (along with some poor polygamists, though I don't personally know any). If nothing else, this thread points out that society grants a huge preference to commited monogamous relationships over other arrangements. "

I'm ok with this. As I've said before, monogamous heterosexual relationships offer a basic value to society, in that they are the basic model by which children are produced and raised, and as such help to perpetuate society. I'm not going too far down this road again, because I'm not up for a night of being called a hateful bigot and a racist and an asshole.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS and gay marriage - game on! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
......because I'm not up for a night of being called a hateful bigot and a racist and an asshole.

If it makes a difference, we don't think of you any worse for being a hateful biggoted racist asshole provided that you take your hat off at the dinner table like a gentleman.

(har har har! I crack me up!)

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS and gay marriage - game on! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not going too far down this road again, because I'm not up for a night of being called a hateful bigot and a racist and an asshole.

That's okay, the argument is over anyway. People who think homosexuality is wrong/immoral buy your argument, people who don't think homosexuality is inherently immoral agree with me (this basic axiom holds for at least 90% of the populace). The fight was lost when the homosexuality taboo ended (it is still very strong in many places in this country, but it is literally dying out in most places). For what it's worth, I never have called you names. I have always understood the viewpoint of people who oppose homosexuality on moral grounds, and consistently apply that logic with regard to public policy (even though I have a different opinion).
Last edited by: oldandslow: Dec 11, 12 12:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next