Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What does a medial meniscus tear "feel" like? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 years ago my left knee gave out while during taekwondo (kicking martial art).
When it first happened. I was standing on one leg and felt what was like my shin had moved under my knee cap. I went to a surgeon who said he couldn't see anything on the MRI. Got the all clear the next day I went back to training and it gave out again. Surgeon decided ACL has been destroyed and finally I had an ACL replacement by grafting some of my hamstring to create a new one. 18 months later I finally had a full recovery.
Now, finally back into training, I have no pain, then all of a sudden when swapping feet my right knee gives out. Feeling like the left knee, shin felt it was moving then gives out. I went to the surgeon and he suggests the meniscus is torn.. I explained what happened last time and asked can they get it now before I go through what I did before and they said to wait and see how it goes in the next 4 weeks.
Training is my life... How do I get back sooner than than I did last time? At this stage this will be an on going problem until they finally do the surgery.
Symptoms:
Feeling like it is giving out. Initial pain making me feel like I want to pass out.
Swelling in particular area, mainly at the back of the knee.
Recovery is fast. I can do straight line (leg press etc) I can do some training, then a simple step or turn will cause my knee to give out.
Quote Reply
Re: What does a medial meniscus tear "feel" like? [Jaydee_Tas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaydee_Tas wrote:
2 years ago my left knee gave out while during taekwondo (kicking martial art).
When it first happened. I was standing on one leg and felt what was like my shin had moved under my knee cap. I went to a surgeon who said he couldn't see anything on the MRI. Got the all clear the next day I went back to training and it gave out again. Surgeon decided ACL has been destroyed and finally I had an ACL replacement by grafting some of my hamstring to create a new one. 18 months later I finally had a full recovery.
Now, finally back into training, I have no pain, then all of a sudden when swapping feet my right knee gives out. Feeling like the left knee, shin felt it was moving then gives out. I went to the surgeon and he suggests the meniscus is torn.. I explained what happened last time and asked can they get it now before I go through what I did before and they said to wait and see how it goes in the next 4 weeks.
Training is my life... How do I get back sooner than than I did last time? At this stage this will be an on going problem until they finally do the surgery.
Symptoms:
Feeling like it is giving out. Initial pain making me feel like I want to pass out.
Swelling in particular area, mainly at the back of the knee.
Recovery is fast. I can do straight line (leg press etc) I can do some training, then a simple step or turn will cause my knee to give out.

Sounds to me like you may have torn your ACL. Some people are just prone to it. I'm not sure they can see all meniscus tears in an MRI unless its really bad. I tore my ACL and fractured my femoral head two years ago and they could see my meniscus was torn but when they went in to do reconstruction, the surgeon did not remove any meniscus due to the type of tear. Bottom line is, they don't want to do surgery unless they have to and even then they need to get in there to actually see what's up with your cartilage. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Demand an MRI. Keep in mind, if your ACL is torn, you can likely run Tris without it but if you choose to have it repaired, you're out of running for 4 months minimum and prolly closer to a year.
Last edited by: WTFoxtrot: Sep 23, 12 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: What does a medial meniscus tear "feel" like? [WTFoxtrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response. I agree I think it is an ACL but I can't get the surgeon to listen to me. Hence I was checking out the forum.
I need the ACL reconstruction to continue my martial arts training.
I just thought I would see if the the symptoms are the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel you. It may just be the meniscus and I think you can recover from a scope in 6-8 weeks. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
Last edited by: WTFoxtrot: Sep 23, 12 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: What does a medial meniscus tear "feel" like? [WTFoxtrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate someone who understands where I am coming from.. Will keep you up to date..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you decide, good luck to you. I know how frustrating this must be. I have been looking for a way to reintegrate my judo into my tri training and haven't found it yet. Bonne chance.
Quote Reply
Re: What does a medial meniscus tear "feel" like? [Recuerda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ... Frustrating is an under statement .. Not only am I trying to not make my right knee worse.. I don't want to set back the reconstructed knee (left) by supporting most of my weight on it ... I just want to kick something damnit *throws tanty* (I'm a girl I can get away with tanty throwing) ... Just want my surgeon to understand where I'm coming from..
Quote Reply

Prev Next