Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know?
Quote | Reply
I work in an Ob/Gyn dept at a medical school. I have NO medical background!! I am 52, went off the pill in Feb, had bloodwork done, and learned that I am "in menopause." I've learned more from this forum than from any doctors I've talked to (I haven't talked to many of our docs, I try not to ask them personal questions on a regular basis). Our dept is talking about starting a menopause clinic, and I've been thinking about things I'd like to have more information about as an athlete (I'm MOP, but I train hard and love the whole "tri life"). I don't have any official input, but I want to do an informal survey and see what comes up. Our chairman is a runner, so I might be able to appeal to him if there seems to be "special needs" for athletes.

I've made a list from the various posts, but one thing (among many) that I don't know is whether menopause in athletes is different from that of non-athletes. Do we all have the same issues? Do those who train less have different issues than those doing half-IM, IM, ultras, etc? Would those who don't train at all have the same issues if they were to start training?

My ideas aren't very well developed yet, I know!! But some of the issues I've noted are:

Heat adaptation
Low testosterone, hormones, natural menopause, avoiding banned substances
Iron, vitamin needs
Weight control, calorie needs
Loss of strength
Bone density
Aching joints
Anxiety
Mood swings
Hot flashes
Night sweats
Perimenopause
Life after menopause - what to expect in general and in terms of performance

I'm guessing that most of us (athletes or not) have similar problems, but the answers we need may be different. A non-athlete may not have to worry about adapting to the heat for training or racing, nor about taking in enough calories to train/race without bonking, and definitely not about avoiding the WADA banned substances. I'm one of the oldest ladies in my Tri group, so I don't know anyone who has gone through this.

If anyone has thoughts, suggestions, anecdotes, or things to add to my lists, I'd love to hear from you! If there are lot of us out there, I'll see if I can find someone to help me put together a survey that I send to some tri forums/FB groups. If nothing else, maybe I can convince a resident to take this topic on for their required research project, or at least plant a seed in their brains.

Thanks,
Diane
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 53 and very interested in this topic and the issues listed. I do think training helps my symptoms. I find I sleep best when I've had some long workouts during the day. Short workouts don't always help. Some times it's hard to start a workout because of these issues; but once I do the workout, I feel much better and can cope.

Note: The anxiety issue is the hardest for me. Why do we have this issue?

Lately, I've noticed other women who are my age and some of them just seem to be getting by with no excitement in their lives. I think tri training gives me a lift. Overall, I think this is an important topic. We do seem to be ignored by the medical community.

Even my Gyn would rather care for her younger and pregnant patients. I've had pain in my right lower side and had a sonogram, but my Gyn said my intestines were blocking her view and that she couldn't see anything. My Gyn said come back in a few months. I still have pain/discomfort.
Last edited by: TriBeer: Aug 6, 12 15:59
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 49 and am in menopause. My hormone levels are low (estrogen, testosterone), and I don't want
to use HRT. I agree that the longer workouts help me the most. The thing I notice the most, and I think
is related to the lower hormone levels, is that I have had a harder time getting motivated to train and I do
get a little more tired. Once I get started and do the workout then I feel so much better. I also agree about the
excitement. It seems that most women my age, at least in this area, are not very active and just seem to give
up on life.
As far as weight control and calories burned, I do have to watch my diet more, but hard training still burns alot of
calories. When I am not training as much is when I notice the difference. During those times I have had to cut back on
carbohydrates alot and increase my protein and healthy fat intake.
I definitely feel like we are ignored by the medical community and by society in general. We live in a very youth
oriented culture. That can depress me at times, but I just try to focus on my training and that makes me feel
better. I'll be 50 in December and I'd really like to try to be competitive in my age group.
Last edited by: jking: Aug 6, 12 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [jking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing.

The best to you in your tri goals. Keep it up. 50 is a ferocious group of ladies.
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm in the middle of menopause (no periods in the last four months and I'm not prego), and I've noticed something interesting that makes me wonder if athletes have a different experience. Last fall during peak IM training I stopped having periods and started having night sweats/hot flashes. I was averaging about 22 hours/week of training. I thought the ovaries had finally given up the ghost, but when I started taper the night sweats stopped, and my period returned soon after.

Fast forward to this spring. Peak training for HIM, which then rolled into training for IM, periods stopped and hot flashes--day and night--started. Training has had more intensity this year, and slightly less duration. Got injured, and within a day or two of cutting out all bike and run, no more hots flashes--nothing, nada.

It's not a body fat issue--believe me, I have plenty to support ovary production. But I do wonder if training lowers hormones or alters metabolism in a way that makes us more sensitive to hot flashes. Just a thought.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what you're doing is great! I might suggest that add "sleep disruption" to your list, and I'll also suggest that you modify "mood swings" to "mood swings/depression." The loss of strength, increase joint problems, and sleepless nights all combine to make training and racing harder than they used to be. This, in turn, brings on a sense of hopelessness at times. Physical things one used to able to do just aren't possible anymore, and that's plain old depressing. As people who have learned to derive a great deal of self-worth from our athletic selves over the years, we're left wondering if we'll ever be able to take pride in our athletic accomplishments again, or if we've entered a downward sloping period in our athletic lives, where no matter how hard we work, nor how smart we train, we are just going to get weaker and slower. I'd love to learn more about whether things stabilize, once we're through the worst of the symptoms, or whether we really are on that downward sloping line, which will continue sloping downward, regardless of our attempts to stabilize it.
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" . . .but when I started taper the night sweats stopped, and my period returned soon after. "

Last year at Lake Placid Ironman, my period returned on race day and it was one the heaviest days ever and I wore a one-piece tri suit (Yikes!). Spent a lot of time in the porta pottie and had cramps, which I don't usually suffer from due to a lifetime of working out.
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, yes, sleep disruption!! That's what is driving me "over the edge" toward HRT - I am so tired that I am going into our little locker room at work at some point every day and taking a 20-min nap on a little padded bench. Thanks, everyone, for the input so far!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I've had a couple of races with tampax stuffed everywhere for that reason. Still leave some in special needs and transition just in case.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried melatonin? I've had success with that. I usually break the 3 mg(?) tablets in half. There was some discussion n the main forum about it recently.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL I've had Day 1 of my cycle on TWO (yes 2) Ironman race days (plus Silverman, plus a Marathon, plus a few half-marathons). We joke that the Bitch likes to show up only for race day. My cycles are incredibly heavy and only until recently were very crampy (had two fibroids removed in Feb).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had just poste about this subject before reading your post and deleted mine to complain about my issues on this post....haha anyways I too have started having a lot of issues with menopause coming on. I am desperate because life is crappy at days. I have been experiencing cramps like never before and sometimes during training rides and even races. I don't know if any of you find that if you put in a hard effort or are doing hill repeats you experience cramps coming on. Even after swimming I get them, they are driving me crazy because it just seems I always have them and I hate saying this because sometimes I feel that my training friends don't understand this problem. I have seen a lose in strength in my bike riding and could not understand why but now that I read all these post about other women in my situation having this problem I feel much better. My mood swings are horrible at times and I feel bad for my fiancée who has to put up with them and with the idea of having to go through menopause with me. I hope he can live with it...haha...sleep is an issue at times and i can't really blame it all on me since my fiancée has insomnia and it's either him or me...but I am going to say its him. What is driving me crazy are the cramps and the fact that I have IMAZ in November and I don't know how I am going to be able to finish my training for the race with all these issues going on. My OB appointment is Aug, 23 and I am thinking of going in with a list like the one above or if someone has some other topics which I should discuss with the OB please share. I don't want to miss out on asking about something and have to wait months for her to see me again. Sorry for the long rant/post but had to write about his makes me feel better. Oh and I live in San Diego if someone has knows of OB who is an athlete and is more aware of ours issues. Than you all for your time
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of the most valuable threads I've seen!! I'm only 48 and have been in menopause for a couple of years now. I have all the symptoms described above. The fatigue is the hardest to deal with and seems to intertwine with the hopelessness and lack of motivation. I have been on natural hormone replacement for almost a year and ladies it DOES help!!!! I went off it for a short time just to see if I really needed it and the depression and fatigue were so strong. I couldn't stay awake at work. I went with bio-identical cream which is formulated for me. They had to play around with the various levels because I was low in all three but I can't handle estrogen. Too many side effects. Also something to throw into the mix is the effect that stress has on all these symptoms. I recently went away camping and noticed my symptoms decreased. I think stress ramps up everything and that I'm now more sensitive to stress. I have gained about 10 lbs which is frustrating!!! All around the mid-section. If anyone has any suggestions please!!! Also I had my thyroid checked and it was out of whack. Don't know if that's related but let's see if anyone has made a connection there?
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We joke that the Bitch likes to show up only for race day."

That's funny. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha Bitch showed up yesterday full force and is wrecking some havoc on me and I race this Sunday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you have a good race. Let us know how you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to laugh, kind of - I was just looking back at my original post and realized "low libido" didn't even make the list - apparently I don't even think about sex anymore!

Have any of you talked to ladies who aren't athletes who are at this stage of life? It seems that most of my friends are younger and not there yet. One lady I work with who is my age and totally out of shape has "hot flashes from hell" while I just feel myself getting warm for a brief time and then it goes away. I'm just wondering what is considered "normal" and whether we're experiencing different symptoms or just noticing/caring about them more??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at a friends house yesterday and menopause was the topic. First because i brought it up and wanted some input since all my friends who were there have already been through this. This is what was discussed:
Hot flashes and night sweats they all got them and all carry those spanish fans with them. They were even using them last night as we sat outside at it was 8 pm. Funny i put on a light sweater because I felt chilly
Insomina all of them all the time. Me sometimes more close too when my period is near
Low libido and vaginal dryness and pain they all have that and are not interested in sex some complained about pain during sex and all said they were dryer than the desert in summer time...me have not seen many changes in those areas
Tired that i did agree with them
Cramps they all got them before during and after their periods went away and I have them and they are so bad sometimes i get nauseous
One thing they all mentioned and this worries me is that when their periods were going on and off sometimes they got really heavy heavy bleeding and it came on all of sudden and at the wrong time and place...that really did worry me. How embarrising if this happens and I am at work, restaurant, shopping or party. They said carry extra change of clothes in car. One of my friends said she was a the pharmacy when it happened, another at costco, another buying shoes at nordstrom and she stained the chair she was sitting on.....horrible

Hope this helps in getting you prepared it has for me. But one thing i must say, none of them exercice none of them race. So this morning at the gym I talked to another friend of mine who is in menopause already and she said not to worry because she never had the bleeding like that and nor did our other friend who is an athlete and she attibutes this to being active and exercicing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 50, and trained for IM last year with a 30 year old woman. The menopausal body does not bounce back as quickly from long, hard efforts. (This should come as no surprise.) I've always been slender and able to eat anything I wanted as long as I work out. Around age 46, I started noticing my once beautiful abs were thickening and body fat showing. I have to eat much more consciously now. I did a 9 month stint of near perfect vegan eating, looked wonderful and felt fantastic. When I was eating vegan, I had no hot flashes and slept better. I have not noticed any decrease in general libido, but can see the results of the monthly calendar in interest at times. My friends in this age group who do not exercise are suffering far worse symptoms than the friends who work out devotedly. This year I added a faithful yoga practice to my routine and feel it has greatly helped with the ordinary symptoms of menopause. I've taken no hormones, but would not rule it out if I felt I needed them. I do not take any supplements at all. I feel a plant based food plan is a superior way to provide my body with vitamins and nutrients.

Among my circle of friends, insomnia, moodiness and depression, and weight gain have been the chief complaints. Thank God for the girlfriends to compare notes with!
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Thank God for the girlfriends to compare notes with!"

Thank goodness for exercising. It does help.

I get brief hot flashes in the morning before work, so I pat my face with a cold compress while driving to work and it takes them away. I feel refreshed when I get to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned the "really heavy heavy bleeding and it came on all of sudden and at the wrong time and place"

I had that happen a few months ago when I was at CLIENT SITE leading a 3day continuous improvement stint (oh and BTW the client was lululemon!). I was wearing light grey capris. Had to address the immediate, then excused myself for 30min, walk around the corner to a sports store, buy a pair of pants and chuck the others+undies. Terribly embarrassing even though I'm sure no one could see it - more just curious about "why did she change pants?"...

I ALWAYS carry extra tampons with me where ever I go now. And I'm up to Code Orange (the Ultra Max size, the "biggest" size there is).

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my God I am so worried about that.....at work I am the only women and work at a bike store and cant imagine that happening during work. Dreafull
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause in athletes - what do we need to know? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the melatonin, I break the 5mg tablets in half and a few nights/1 night of use resets my sleep.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend sleeping in these: http://www.nitesweatz.com/products/sleepwear/

I still wake up every few hours but not from wet, cold pj's. There are several other companies that make sleep wear for menopausal women.
Quote Reply

Prev Next