Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boston 2012 [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Whats amazing is dudes 6"3 165, thats a pro triathletes physique! Would be cool to see what he could do in an Ironman, if he could bike, maybe do a sub 2:30 run.

normally that would be a little bit amazing, but on a hot day it is REALLY amazing.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Uli's last name is Steidl, he ran 2:23 and won M40-44..... WOW

John

Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uli wore Bib# 478

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [alcatraz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heatwave in boston what 75F? if the Hawaii Ironman had deferals like the 8% increase in DNS this year at boston they be less then 500 on the starting line at hawaii with the 90F+ temps ;-)
Last edited by: Dom77mu: Apr 16, 12 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no sorry then, the ST Uli ran 2:53. 294th O/A. 1:21 half and about 1:33 2nd half

John

Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [Dom77mu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished 2 mins slower than last year. The heat didn't bother me too much. However, it probably was more of a factor than I give it credit. For example, I don't recall my quads feeling nearly as thrashed the previous two years. I'm thinking some slight cramping may have been the culprit and clearly the heat contributed to cramping.

The non-stop sun w/ no shade bothered me more.

I hope everyone makes it home today aokay.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
And nice finish for Jason Hartman in 4th. I remember when he was only the second best guy on his high school track & cross country teams.

When I saw him I was like that guy is huge compared to the other runners. Then they said he was 6'3" 160-165. I am 3-4 inches shorter and 5 pounds lighter and people call me skinny. Wasn't he high school teammates with Dathan Ritzenhein? That isn't a bad guy to be behind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, deathmarch. The lack of training showed.

To the guy comparing this to Ironman: at IM you run half an hour slower which makes digestion a lot easier.

I've finished a Kona in the top100 but a 70F marathon in Japan ended in a hospital.

Completly different ball game.
Hartmann is a hard man.
In Reply To:

Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
FLA Jill wrote:
And nice finish for Jason Hartman in 4th. I remember when he was only the second best guy on his high school track & cross country teams.

When I saw him I was like that guy is huge compared to the other runners. Then they said he was 6'3" 160-165. I am 3-4 inches shorter and 5 pounds lighter and people call me skinny. Wasn't he high school teammates with Dathan Ritzenhein? That isn't a bad guy to be behind.

Now when folks call me skinny at 6'5" and 160, but called Jason at 6'3" and 160 heavy, I can just say I am heavy like Jason. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
I love reading the posts on your individual goals. Also, the weather may be warm on Monday, but, at least, it's looking like the humidity will be low.
Well I suck and went down in a big ball of flames today. I'm gonna stop thinking I can run fast and just shut my pathetic mouth.

Congrats to all the real ST runner studs who crushed it out there today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uli steidl is an elite ultramarathoner. a lot of these top ultra marathoners are sub 2h30 marathon guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just respect you guys for giving it a shot. It's like baseball, we can go play again tomorrow.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried to take it easy and save my legs for San Diego in June. But the heat really affected me today. I ran ~3:15 (slow for me) but still had hammered quads and some serious cramping in the last 2 miles. The pace I ran today would be pedestrian for me on a long training run. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm pretty wiped right now.

Congrats to everyone that decided to run and hung in there on a tough day.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [knobjob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. My quads starting complaining big time at mile 10. I just couldn't do anything so I just focused on finishing. Even with a bunch of walking my legs are totally wiped out
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [knobjob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I was chatting away to other guys while reduced to a comical shuffle. I ran uphill faster than downhill. Part of it is going undertrained into Boston but maybe there's more to it in that heat. I've never gone out so slow before.

Quote | Reply
Why are our quads so thrashed?

Dehydration + 26.2 miles = cramping in quads = thrashed quads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Folks, we're staying at the Westin and I've heard non-stop ambulance runs all afternoon. I hope these are for heat exhaustion, not heat stroke or worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is an athletic trainer and was one of the volunteers at the 2010 race. even on the more normal race days, they still get tons of ambulance calls all day due to hydration issues because they run out of beds and rooms to give IVs, severe cramping they cant solve onsite, etc. im hoping its just that, as so many folks were given warning to hydrate better. Plus, with DNS at double the normal rate due to the deferment option, hopefully the most at risk folks stayed home.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it just me or did it seem like the water stops were non-existent over the last last 4 miles?

Most years I wouldn't even notice. I was completely reling on the goodwill of spectators for water inside 35k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were very much there. Every single mile plus all the generous spectators in between.

Quote | Reply
I must have missed them, I was seeing floating stars inside 35k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding that 30 minute rule you mention I think that's debatable, if you reverse that, Mark Allen we all know ran a 2:40 in Kona,but failed to go under 2:25 to qualify for the Olympic trial(92 Barcelona) from what I've read. Guess that's only 1 example but from the best Kona time.
I'm sure for amateurs 30 min more than applies,pros might be around 20? And guess that all depends how hard you go on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My main beef was no water stops til mile 3 of the race. I was assuming at mile 1 and 2. I was dying by stop 3 and overdid the water and suffered stomach sloshing.

For me I really didnt train on any downhills and that combined with going for it thru the first 6 miles probably contributed to my massive quad pain at mile 10.

No more marathons for me until my 50th when I'll try to get revenge. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some ice at the aid stations would've been nice too. Especially since at least half the water & Gatorade was hot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next