Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boston 2012 [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Printer-

I live in Cohasset, next town over from Hingham. Where are you moving from? Feel free to drop me a PM when you move to the area, I just moved here in November and having done much riding in the area as Boston has been my focus, but there are plenty of great roads and trails for running and I am looking forward to exploring around by bike once the marathon is in the rearview.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're moving to the Shipyard from Chapel Hill, NC in mid-May. I'll send a PM. Have a great race.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I looked at the Shipyard before we ended up moving to Cohasset. I take the ferry from there into the city every morning, a couple great restaurants in there and a good bar as well.

Thanks for the well wishes, I am sure I'll see you in the south shore.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [knobjob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madison, WI
Not getting in until Sunday
Staying @ Park Plaza Hotel
Wave 1, corral 2, hope to go sub-3 at least
Mutai (hard to pick against him), Kilel for the women
No real meal plans, but gotta get a milkshake post-race.

Weather is looking decent for Boston, but will have to watch the winds. Accuweather now says ENE winds @ 15 mph on Monday...Gonna depend on how quickly the storm system moves through I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knobjob wrote:
I'm prepared to adjust 5-10 min if needed too based on the fickle weather.

I tried to ignore the weather last time I ran a marathon. Ended in an ambulance drive to a Japanese emergency room after the finish.

Quote | Reply
No kidding. Looks INSANELY warm for Monday now. Like, mid-80s warm.

That confirms me in a tri top, then...and dumping water over my head roughly every mile.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesus, who said 'ignore'? I'm willing to adjust by up to 30 sec per mi based on an up to 80 degree cloudy day. If it gets warmer and/or sunnier then I'll bend further I suppose. But until I look at the forecast at 4am on Monday 4/16 I'm not going to fret too much over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
San Diego
Saturday
Friend's place
Wave 1, corral 1, under trained so just having fun especially if it's hot
Geb/Kilel. Excited to see where Wesley finishes.
Pretzel m&ms and endurox.

tweets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of our forecasts, here's this morning's run from the usual sources:

Hopkinton
Weather Channel: upper 50s at 7 AM, warming to high 60s for gun time. High of 78. Wind out of the SW. Low humidity.
Wunderground: mid 60s early. Warming to mid 80s by the gun. High of 90. SW wind 10-15 MPH.
AccuWeather: 70 degrees at the start. High of 82. (not reached till 3 PM). SW winds 15+ with gusts over 30.

Boston
All forecasts pretty much the same from their sources above. Adding in the local Boston stations.
WHDH: To quote their page: "On your mark, get set, MELT." 88, humid, record-setting temps possible.
WCVB: Cold front won't make it down, resulting in mid-80s temps.

So...uh...guess I should hop in the sauna for my bike ride, right? Heat training?

If it holds true, I'll throw every single one of my time goals out the window and just have a blast.

Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This wouldn't be so bad if the race was in September and we had the entire summer to acclimatize. Oh well, as long as we have a tailwind and the temps don't reach 80 degree by 1pm then I won't fuss.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the mild east coast spring, I've luckily run all my 18 milers in high 60s / low 70s temperatures so this weather is gonna be perfect. I couldn't have asked for better for my first ever Boston. I love the heat anyway so I'm stocked.

What's everyone's warmup strategy? I usually run for 10-15 minutes prior to the start but it seems like we head to our corrals around 45 minutes before gun time. So you're stuck standing with little movement for at least 30 minutes or more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's just going to be a day where you need to listen to your body, and stay in front of your hydration and nutrition plan. The margin for error in race execution is slimmer as the mercury rises, IMO. If you plan well, and execute well, the performance will still be there. It may not be the time goal that you had set in front of yourself a few days or weeks before, but you can still execute an excellent race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
This wouldn't be so bad if the race was in September and we had the entire summer to acclimatize. Oh well, as long as we have a tailwind and the temps don't reach 80 degree by 1pm then I won't fuss.

I don't want a tailwind on a hot day. If the tailwind is 8 mph, we're all running in still air.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
DC Pattie wrote:

I don't want a tailwind on a hot day. If the tailwind is 8 mph, we're all running in still air.

88 Degrees shown for Monday on local NBC Forecast... Re-thinking fuel strategy...
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [yotrepo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if BAA can organize tubs of ice and sponges for 30,000 runners on short notice?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [yotrepo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Amtrak right now, left Lynchburg, VA this AM.
First time we've done the Amtrak ride, hopefully more relaxing than a 13 hour car ride!
Get to Boston this afternoon.

Wave 1, c 5.
2:55, might have to back off that a bit, with the forecast. I'll be disappointed if I'm over 3. Sounds like a whole lot of ST is shooting for the same range finishing time.

Mutai, women's race Dunno for the win.

Post race, Sam Adams will be a primary nutritional element, then food, in that order.
Quote:

----------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [mountainman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monday, Apr 16

Warmer
85°F|56°F

"You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime."
Mark Allen - Ironman
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [alcatraz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh for fuck's sake, Weather Underground forecast for Newton on Monday.

Monday
Mostly cloudy in the morning, then partly cloudy. High of 93F. Winds from the SW at 10 to 15 mph.

I spent 4 days in Florida 3 weeks ago running outside in 80 degree temperatures, hoping the body got some heat acclimation. Definitely not going to need the arm warmers I bought a couple weeks ago. Looking like shorts, singlet, and a hat to keep the sun off my head and face.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I'll freeze a couple of bottles of Poland Spring and stick 'em in my back pocket to help keep me cool.

Or, I'll just melt. Either one works.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. Quite the contrary: sound strategy on your part. I've tried the other way and it didn't work.

Quote | Reply
Man the forecast just keeps deteriorating. Think I'll treat this as a long training run and carry whatever marathon fitness I have into June by signing up for San Diego rock and roll. Stay safe, everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I am somewhat of a novice to this endurance stuff (2 Bostons, 1 NYC, all slow so far) and wanted to see what advice you guys have for a race in these types of temps. All of my race thus far have been at most in the mid-50's so far. I have done a few sprint tri's and a bunch of 5ks in searing heat but this is a whole new ballgame. I was expecting awful heat for my first 70.3 in July but this will be quite a shock and my experience in the heat is minimal.

Any advice/tips aside from hydrating like mofo? Like I said, I am not a complete newbie but this is unexpected and all of my training/racing has been in the fall/winter/spring.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a local station's detailed marathon forecast FWIW:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/...forecast-88-degrees/

I'm staying with someone who ran the last super hot one in 2004 but that was when they still started at noon and he said it was tough out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too late for me to move my treadmill to the sauna. I'm researching cryokinesis.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am definitely in PR shape, which makes a forecast like this frustrating. I don't want to be stupid, but I don't want to give away too much time by slowing down either. I am relatively small (154 pounds) and handle the heat pretty well. Granted, I've never raced a marathon in these conditions, but summer training runs in the mid-80's never see my pace slow significantly.

I was aiming to run 6:15s, recommendations range from 15-30 seconds per mile and more. I am not to keen to run 6:45s and regret it if I have a lot left in the tank, yet I don't want to shoot for 6:30s, and end up walking the last few miles (or worse) and wishing I had just run the 6:45s and finished.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next