Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boston 2012 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy that does that with sport beans. He keeps popping them one or two at a time throughout the marathon to keep something sweet in his mouth. I have trouble swallowing so I am always on the lookout for a way to get in calories and fluids. I will probably run with a 10oz Nathans bottle in a hand holder. If I try to put in more than a sip at a time I choke on whatever I'm drinking. It's a bit of a pain in the butt but that way I know that I'm getting in the fluids.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather forecast keeps getting better. It seems to change by the hour, though.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noaa: Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
Accuweather: low 49, high 60 Partly sunny, windy
weather.com 42, high 64 partly sunny

Not much to freak out over at the moment on race day, but I'm bringing my raincoat for the pre-race weekend activities. Plenty of indoor stuff to entertain a 6 year old in Boston, right?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather forecast keeps getting better. It seems to change by the hour, though.

As Mark Twain said, "if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a few minutes."

Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be a tailwind the entire way since the course is point-to-point. I'll take it as long as its not a downpour.

I had to make the decision this morning to drop out because of injury, and that just makes it even more depressing. Ironically, my 2007 race, which went exceptionally well for me, was into a headwind.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I we can just get the Sunday winds (15 mph from SW, according to weather.com) to hang on a bit longer, all will be perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, one benefit of many years of mostly aerobic high volume running is getting well trained at using fat for fuel. It helps a lot in a marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [noahman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How bad would a strong NW wind be? Technically it would be a "cross-tail" wind but that can be deceiving.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump to give this lame-ass thread some CPR. Come on, people, the race is basically just 4 days from now. Let's get this shit started. Where you from? When do you get to town? Where you staying? What's your wave and time goal? Who ya got for the win? What's your post race meal?

San Diego
Saturday
Mandarin Oriental
1, sub 2:50
Mutai
Regina pizza
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [knobjob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC
Thursday afternoon
Staying w/ a friend about half mile from the finish
Wave #1, 3:10ish depending on the Wellesley mile delay
Repeat winners from last year
Doritos

Latest weather from all the local news is uncertain due to a front. They even say they don't know. One forecast says it could be 64 in Hopkinton with 70 by noon but the wind starting to come off the coast by 2pm with 62. I got all the clothes packed for anything so hopefully by Sunday nights local forecasts we'll know. ;)

I guess if the wind starts to come off the coast later in the day, it just puts the emphasis on running fast so you don't have to deal with headwind the last miles. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go! 2nd time around. Just got here yesterday from SoCal with a swing through NJ, than NC before getting here yesterday.it's supposed to rain today though it will be dry they say. Staying a few blocks from the finish and am ready to run. Wave 1, 2nd coral. Bored till than, minus expo setup I'm
A lost tourist!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pennsylvania
Friday night
Friends in Hopkinton
2, sub 3:00
Matebo
Baconator and Fries

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Des Moines
Saturday (hoping the new packet pick up location is bigger)
Pancakes (only as a vehicle to get syrup from the plate to my mouth)
Wave 1, 2:55ish
A surprise winner
A big ass burger w/fries and onion rings and fries and fries.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the weather is a crap shoot. Be ready for anything. I'm hoping for dry and cool like most people. But if not cool, then at least dry and cloudy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harrisonburg, VA (Shenandoah Valley)
Arriving tomorrow, staying with friends in Cambridge
Wave 1, corral 2
I'll be happy with anything under 2:56:33, but low 2:55 would be nice
Mutai
Chipotle did me right last year

Did someone say there's a new packet pickup location?

Also, letsrun.com has an awesome series on the epic marathon action (Rotterdam, Boston, London) in the coming weekends. 4 sub-2:04 (and 2 other 2:04:xx) Kenyans competing for 3 Olympic spots.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [JackM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The expo and packet pick up has moved to Seaport World Trade Center, not where it was the past few years...Hines I think?

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live on the South Shore of Massachusetts, my wife will drive me to the starting line.

Wave 1, Corral 1. Hoping for a time in the mid-low 2:40s.

If Mutai is healthy I don't see him getting beat.

Taking the Green Line back out to Newton after the race to hit a bar with friends and family who will spend the morning on the side of Commonwealth Ave. Post race meal will probably be some chicken nachos and a few beers.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I would have completely screwed that up and gone to last year's location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madison, wi
Friday night
Holiday Inn near the square
1, 2:57
Mutai, Benoit :)
Ice cold Coke and then whatever else I can handle. I always like a beer but it usually takes me a few hours before I can enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYC
Sunday
don't remember
1, 2:39
Gebremariam
soup first, burger later

Quote | Reply
I'm not in this year's race, but will doing my first Boston Marathon in 2013. Good luck to very one doing the race. Post your results and impressions after the race. I will be lurking out there rooting for you all.

I'll be moving to Hingham in May and look forward to some good long runs on the course later this year.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now live in Portland, ME
Saturday arrival. Have a house in Brookline to use.
Wave 3. Hoping for 3:20s, but we'll see. (Working as a running retailer is beneficial. Occasionally.)
Mutai is a solid choice for the win. Women's race...no clue.
I am guaranteed to house an entire pizza + order of bread. Washed down with at least two beers.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knobjob wrote:
Bump to give this lame-ass thread some CPR. Come on, people, the race is basically just 4 days from now. Let's get this shit started. Where you from? When do you get to town? Where you staying? What's your wave and time goal? Who ya got for the win? What's your post race meal?

San Diego
Saturday
Mandarin Oriental
1, sub 2:50
Mutai
Regina pizza

Pittsfield, MA
Sunday afternoon
at My brother's place in Norwood
wave 1, 2:40 goal (though, the predicted temp's near 70deg F won't be helpful in this quest)
no food for the first 1/2 hour post race - my body will instantly reject it. Beer first. Then, I'll be on the prowl for a bigass nasty greasy burger + fries.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bedford, MA (30 min drive to starting line)
Wave 1
Training indicates something around a 2:55-2:56
Mutai (unless he trips on the train tracks after BC)
Cookout at my place for family and friends!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beer first - fantastic! I'm with you on that. Good luck on the 2:40. I'm prepared to adjust 5-10 min if needed too based on the fickle weather.
Quote Reply

Prev Next