Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boston 2012 [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to compile the current one-week out forecasts:

Accuweather--59 degrees, rain, winds from the SSW at 19, gusts to 35 MPH
Wunderground--62 degrees, sun, winds from the W at 20 MPH
Weather Channel--60 degrees, cloudy, winds from the SW at 13 MPH.

Temperature range is PERFECT for me...and precipitation? Well, I won't hold my breath on anything till we get a bit closer. But the temperature forecasts have become far more consistent in the past 72 hours, as has the wind. There had been a bunch more deviation beforehand.

Looks like Tuesday will be a great day to see the city...if you can still walk.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

I'm hoping for a dry start because waiting in the Athlete's area is gonna be a pain anyway but with getting soaked will add to the "suck" factor.

The Athlete's Village in Hopkinton has a low "suck" factor since there are big tents to sit and relax under and lots of excited people to chat with. With your warm-up clothes on, you can keep warm and dry and just enjoy the experience. In 2007 when it was a wet year they opened the schools to let us wait indoors.

Boston is awesome! Only one week to go!

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else freaking in the middle of taper thinking "I should have done one more hard workout"?

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:

The Athlete's Village in Hopkinton has a low "suck" factor since there are big tents to sit and relax under and lots of excited people to chat with. With your warm-up clothes on, you can keep warm and dry and just enjoy the experience. In 2007 when it was a wet year they opened the schools to let us wait indoors.

Boston is awesome! Only one week to go!

I didn't know that...great news if it raining. What's everyone recommendation on when to get in the bag drop line? I assume as it gets closer to the race time that line gets longer or is it so efficient that it's not as big of deal?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [d-elvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Negative. Doing some weight training and a swim today to do some non-impact aerobic activity. Off tomorrow. Little run Wednesday, probably a recovery spin Thursday, light swim Friday, off Saturday, striders Sunday, work myself over on Monday.

The weight stuff also helps stretch me out a bit, just get the muscle recruitment down right. :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the tents are big enough to cover everyone if it's raining. Arrive early and/or bring rain gear.

The bag check isn't really a line. There are dozens of school buses and you hand your gear bag through a window of the school bus--each window is designated for a range of numbers (you'll retrieve it at the same window). I've never had to wait more than a minute or two.

One note: I always forget to take off one piece of clothing (typically my cap) before checking my bag. Double check your wardrobe! My loss is the homeless shelter's gain :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:

Quote:

In 2007 when it was a wet year they opened the schools to let us wait indoors.

I wish I would have known that ...... I sat under one of the tents huddled with about a thousand other people and it sucked. Made getting up and moving to the start line a tricky process. And then of course the wind and rain through most of the race. Made for a miserable (but epic) day.

Re: Boston 2012 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked weather.com and....uh-oh!:

http://www.weather.com/...tenday/USMA0046:1:US
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [knobjob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That 80 had damn well better be a typo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knobjob wrote:
That 80 had damn well better be a typo!

That would be AWESOME!! The DC weather for the weekend is high 70s low 80s and our forecast is pretty good usually. I've been following Boston weather when we have hot days for the past month and it's usually about 10 degrees cooler so maybe..

I'm crossing my fingers. For the warm weather wimps, it won't be 80 til 4 something in the afternoon so with that type of high I'd expect high 60s to low 70s during the race. Boston folks can confirm weekend forecast accuracy and estimated temps during the marathon time of day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That will be nice and toasty run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d-elvis wrote:
Anyone else freaking in the middle of taper thinking "I should have done one more hard workout"?

No.

Ten more!

Quote | Reply
I call BS on the 80, and much prefer the high of 62 on Accuweather

http://www.accuweather.com/...orecast/348735?day=6

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, I'm most certainly with you on that one. 80 degrees would blow me up. Most sites are showing 62-68 degrees. It's all theoretical until about 1-2 days before anyway. Still, weather.com can take that 80 and jam it up its starfish.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2007 was my first. Pissed the rain all weekend, and the only part of Boston we saw was from the hotel room.
Started the race with wet shoes, that really sucked.

This will be my first since '09.
I've been doing some runs outside inthe cold, and some on the treadmill with a plastic bag to force some minor overheating.
Feel like i'm prepared for any weather at this point.

Staying MUCH closer to downtown than I ever have, can't wait to actually sleep a little later and walk to the buses for once.

----------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
til
d-elvis wrote:
Anyone else freaking in the middle of taper thinking "I should have done one more hard workout"?[/quoty ]

Here was my taper "run" today:

Luckily, both my ACL's are still intact!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super jealous. Last day on the boards was mid-March here in Maine, when we had that freak run of super-warm weather. Got out and had a blast, but then everything went down the tubes.

That said, compiling forecasts this morning:

Wunderground: 52 degrees, getting cooler as the day goes on into the mid 40s. Chance of showers. Light, variable winds.
AccuWeather: 62 degrees, cloudy. Wind from the North at 15, changing to NE with gusts to 26+
Weather Channel: 75 degrees, sunny, humid. Wind from the WNW at 13, lightening throughout the day.
NWS: 71 degrees, sunny, light winds from the west.

In other words...it's still a crapshoot. Hoping I could run tomorrow in the gear I plan on running in Boston...but with the weather that variable, who knows. At the rate we're going, it'll snow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind those temps you are listing are all the forecast high temps. The forecast low temps are much lower. With the 10am start (for first corral) most will be finished before the high is reached.

To properly obsess over this we really need to study the hourly forecasts :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Boston 2012 [mountainman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mountainman wrote:
2007 was my first. Pissed the rain all weekend, and the only part of Boston we saw was from the hotel room.
Started the race with wet shoes, that really sucked.

This will be my first since '09.
I've been doing some runs outside inthe cold, and some on the treadmill with a plastic bag to force some minor overheating.
Feel like i'm prepared for any weather at this point.

Staying MUCH closer to downtown than I ever have, can't wait to actually sleep a little later and walk to the buses for once.

We were there in 2007. Wore a pair of old shoes for the mud fest before the race, had dry pairs in a bag. My wife and I changed shoes in the gym before the race. Worked out great, well except for the 50 mile an hour wind gusts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry, been looking at those too. Also know it can heat up quite quickly in the Boston area. Lots of the hourly's would suggest we'd be seeing close to the temperatures posted by 11AM to 12PM...so right in line for most in this thread to experience it.

As for Hopkinton race morning:
Weather Channel: 50 degree low overnight, warming to mid-60s by gun time.
Wunderground: 54 degree high overnight with the temperature plummeting throughout the day.
AccuWeather: Low of 51 overnight, warming to 60 by gun time. Wind from the North.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good to know. Just hit all the local Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC channels forecasts and they all say warm for Monday. I'm still crossing my fingers that it's warm so we get a nice comfortable wait at the start and nice temp for the whole race, IMHO.

Now let's hope they're going to stock enough water/gatorade at the aid stations so we don't get a Chicago experience from a couple of years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having walked past some of the aid stations in Brookline at 2 PM (so, we're talking heart of Wave 3 here) the aid stations all still had a TON of water and Gatorade available.

The one thing that I found surprising is that there's the single gel station listed at mile 16. Guess I'll be rocking a flask for 'em. Much prefer a flask than individual packets if I have to carry them myself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Having walked past some of the aid stations in Brookline at 2 PM (so, we're talking heart of Wave 3 here) the aid stations all still had a TON of water and Gatorade available.

The one thing that I found surprising is that there's the single gel station listed at mile 16. Guess I'll be rocking a flask for 'em. Much prefer a flask than individual packets if I have to carry them myself.

Good to know. I'm carrying 4 gels with me and plan on grabbing 2 at mile 16 for later in the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you like the PowerBar gels. I'm actually in love with them, so it all works out for me. (Being a Team Elite member also has its perks...)

Will rely on Kona Punch in the flask. Might have one individual Tangerine with me for the caffeine towards the end of things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Good to know. I'm carrying 4 gels with me and plan on grabbing 2 at mile 16 for later in the race.

That sounds like a lot. How many hours do you plan to hang out there?

I hope the weather will be either truly miserable (shall I say "epic"?) or perfect. Half assed weather plus half assed shape are the worst combination.

Oh, fun question for everyone:

If it's hot

1) Run without singlet and be comfortable but look like a dick or

2) Keep the singlet on, have it stick to your body and be warmer but don't look like a dick?

For me, there is no shirt that would be more cooling than no shirt. I train without shirt (not on city streets) but have never raced without.

Prev Next