Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you?
Quote | Reply
If you could spend $300 more on a nice frame to get a 2010 vs a 2009 (if their were no changes between the two), would you?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, unless it was down between paint jobs then id choose the one i liked better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
300 bucks is 300 bucks. So no. I would get the 09. I can live with a color. 300 bucks gets really nice shoes, or pedals, or computer, or nice riding gear, or helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
If you could spend $300 more on a nice frame to get a 2010 vs a 2009 (if their were no changes between the two), would you?

Nope. Because, really, what difference will it make?

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Would you? [triarcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triarcher wrote:
300 bucks is 300 bucks. So no. I would get the 09. I can live with a color. 300 bucks gets really nice shoes, or pedals, or computer, or nice riding gear, or helmet.

Half a used power meter! :-)

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not food. It doesn't come with an expiration date. Take the cheaper one and use the money on other stuff

Quote | Reply
I've wondered about the latest models question myself. For example, I know that bike technology has improved over time, but I don't think it improves every year.

-------------------------------

“He is happy whose circumstances suit his temper but he is more excellent who can suit his temper to any circumstances” David Hume
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends... what's the frame?? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would roll the extra money into something else with the cheaper frame....so long as I know that I wouldn't be second guessing myself later on for taking the paint I talked myself into liking more. Then paint is worth $300 for peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save the 300 bucks for race entries.

Re: Would you? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shouldn't have been so vague originally.

Heres the story. I got a great deal on a 2009 Cervelo S2 frame for a build I did a few months back. I always consider what the resale value is of any bike I buy and take that into account, knowing I might try and "flip" the bike a year later for a profit or at least to break even. Last bike I bought I got for half what I sold it for a year later, and upgraded to the S2.

So on ebay yesterday, I bought a 2011 S2 for $300 more than what I paid for my 2009. I thought that was a steal bc it was about half the price of a new 2011 frameset, and I was again thinking about the future. Even though the frame isn't really different, the resale value of a 2011 over a 2009 could be substantial.

The seller emails me today to apologize that they listed it wrong. It is actually a 2010, and asked me what I'd like to do, keep it or refund. I'm now stuck. 2009 to 2010 isn't a big leap resale wise, and then there is the pain of switching everything over. Time is money in that sense as well.

Can't seem to go one way or the other on this, but I am leaning towards the refund. Such a bummer, I thought I had landed such a great deal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am probably the wrong guy to ask because I always lose big money on the resale so it really doesn't matter. Plus if you hold onto a bike for a while the present value of $300 is pretty substantial after 5 years. Sorry the accountant in me.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you? [chriskeysor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you mean substantially less? Inflation drives the value of the dollar down, ie my 300 gets me more today than it will tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually inflation is fairly flat, in fact think about how much a 19 pound bike costs today versus 10 years ago. Perceived inflation comes into play because we are trying to buy 15 pound bikes.

But regarding the present value, what I mean is that if you have to pay $300 more today so that you can sell a bike for $300 more in 5 years then on a present value basis it is costing you money. Conversly if you invest that $300 into something that appreciates (stocks, bonds, unfortunately not savings accounts today) the $300 will be worth more in five years (at 5% the future value of that investment will be $382).

Sorry, but I don't buy into thinking bikes are an investment. They are the cost of our sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you? [chriskeysor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, now I see what you're saying.

Well stated and good point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Offer him $100 less or just take it if you think it is a good buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you? [creek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask a 150$ refund. If he don't want too, return it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't just because of the error on seller's part. When people list things for sale how can they get the year of manufacture wrong? I mean its not that hard.
Quote Reply