Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$200 one way charge for a bike by Continental since March 8?
Quote | Reply
Sergio Jr. had been paying $100 in at least 5 other flights this year by Continental and this morning he had to pay $200 for his bike from San Diego to Monterrey, MX.

I checked their site yesterday in Spanish and it said $100. Checked it this morning and it says $100. I found no mention in their site of a $200 charge for a bike in any circumstance.

In Mexico that would be called false advertisement and you can get your money back, is that also the case legally in the USA?

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Last edited by: Sergio Escutia: Mar 15, 11 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: $230 one way charge for a bike by Continental since March 8? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checked the English version of their site. In the Spanish version of their site it makes no mention of a $200 charge for international travel. In the English version it does.

I will make sure to mention that in the airline thread.

Sergio

Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: $230 one way charge for a bike by Continental since March 8? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sergio Escutia wrote:
Sergio Jr. had been paying $100 in at least 5 other flights this year by Continental and this morning he had to pay $230 for his bike from San Diego to Monterrey, MX.

I checked their site yesterday in Spanish and it said $100. Checked it this morning and it says $100. I found no mention in their site of a $230 charge for a bike in any circumstance.

In Mexico that would be called false advertisement and you can get your money back, is that also the case legally in the USA?

Sergio
Yes, money can be refunded as long as one has a receipt and print out of the current fees to dispute to current charges.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Sergio Escutia wrote:
Sergio Jr. had been paying $100 in at least 5 other flights this year by Continental and this morning he had to pay $230 for his bike from San Diego to Monterrey, MX.

I checked their site yesterday in Spanish and it said $100. Checked it this morning and it says $100. I found no mention in their site of a $230 charge for a bike in any circumstance.

Sergio

Yes, money can be refunded as long as one has a receipt and print out of the current fees to dispute to current charges.

Checked again and it goes like this:

SPANISH
Si las bicicletas están empacadas en un contenedor que pese más de 50 lb (23 kg) o mida más de 62 pulgadas (157 cm) lineales (largo + ancho + alto), se aplicará un cargo por servicio de $100 (USD) por trayecto. El cargo por servicio es adicional a cualquier cargo por exceso de equipaje en el que pueda incurrirse, pero los cargos de servicio por la primera y la segunda pieza de equipaje no se aplican. Las bicicletas que pesen más de 70 lb (32 kg) no se aceptarán como equipaje documentado.

ENGLISH
If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 lbs (23kg) and/or 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $100 service charge applies each way for domestic travel, and $200 each way for international travel. The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply, but first and second baggage service fees do not apply. Bicycle equipment over 70lbs (32 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.

No mention of the "$200 each way for international travel" in the Spanish version.

Thanks for the advise.

Sergio

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he paid with a credit card have him call the credit card company and dispute the charge.
Quote Reply
Re: $230 one way charge for a bike by Continental since March 8? [cam2win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea!
These charges are going to keep going up with gas prices. The cost of racing is rising very quickly. Fees, lodging, food, etc. My brother's cheese and flour prices for his restaurant have sky rocketed in the last two months. His wholesalers are now charging a gasoline surcharge for deliveries. Not good, particularly if inflation starts rising in more sectors of the economy.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: $200 one way charge for a bike by Continental since March 8? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He paid $200 for the bike and $30 for an extra bag. The increase on the bike transport fee was from $100 to $200. I doubt that 100% increase was the gas cost increase.

I spoke with a Continental agent. He told me that indeed there was a mistake in the terms in Spanish and that he should get a refund because of that. He is going to check that when he lands in Mexico.

Any way, the increase from $100 to $200 per bike on an international flight is large enough to change Continental from the NOT GOOD to the WORST list.

Sergio

Last edited by: Sergio Escutia: Mar 15, 11 12:36
Quote Reply