Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Miami 70.3
Quote | Reply
Race is FAST approaching. Anyone have any better info about the race (water conditions in the bay, routes, times) than what is on their site (I avoid the site because everytime I've been on it has caused my laptop to shutdown)?

Anyone else racing this?
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any news on the course- any bike changes? any run course changes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wave start times have been posted!
I'm on the 8th way, 7:20am start.

Good luck to everyone racing!!!

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [Tri@PUR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in wave #9. 7:24am 45-49AG. I think the orange cap will clash with my red hair.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just found it- last wave of AM(7:44) gold cap which is color of medal I better be wearing at end o day! I like last wave as it gives me a lot of targets on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure what you would like to know. but miami has cooled of significantly after the tropical depression last week.

this morning it was 70 and only about 60% humidity, it is still warming up in the afternoon but today at lunch time it was only 85 and when i left work it was down to 83.

however winds picked up also. so expect some winds especially the first 1 hr of the bike. this morning at 7 am i was riding winds were at 11 mph....afternoon much stronger.

not sure on the swim, i did Escape to Miami 2 weeks ago very close by and the current there is very strong. the strong currents will make it a long swim so be prepared. i doubt it will be wetsuit legal it depends on the temp next 2 weeks. normally historically water around miami late october is still around 80-78 degrees.

and what sucks a big fat cock 30-34 age group is last and starts 7:45.....so retarded.

EDIT: if the day turns out to be sunny, meaning hot. save some energy for the run. it will be a hot run with absolutely 0 shade. i have ran there for other races.
Last edited by: trixer: Oct 7, 10 20:30
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [trixer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3rd Wave, 7AM: Big Boys. This is my first HIM and the Miami website seems woefully inadequate compared to other M-Dot races. Anyone able to definitively answer my dumb question of whether swim cutoff is 1:10 from wave start or 1:10 from last wave? I'm not worried that I'll be over, but that I will be close. Next few weeks will be much more pleasant for me if I know I'm not going to get yanked for showing up at 8:11.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [Kamala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same Q for me, but since my wave starts at 7:44, it only makes sense that it be 1hr10mins from then. Otherwise my wave would have approx 20mins to cover the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That'd be some very impressive AG swimming!! I guess our question is really if they're timing cut-off for each individual wave or just from the last wave. Seems like a giant logistical nightmare to sort out 2500 people by every 4 minutes as they're rolling through the timing pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to be the one to say this, but if your seriously worried that you won't be able to swim 1.2 miles in 70 minutes, you might wanna reconsider the race. The bay is gonna have some serious tide and a lot of people are gonna be way wide on the turns adding a good distance to the swim.

Where are they gonna send the bikers for 56 miles? Seems like a very odd place to try and shut down the roads. I guess if they can do it for NYC tri, they can shut the roads for Miami. I would have my head on a swivel just incase grandma isn't paying attention. Don't laugh, I almost got run over running the Miami marathon a few years a go. Cop said stop, but grandma blew right passed him.

CS

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [Flat frog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the beauty of being BOP on the swim, there's never anyone to be wide of on the turns! (Crap, all the waves behind me, didn't think of that, my wave has usually been towards the back in previous races.) Seriously worried? Probably not. Concerned, yes. I'm looking at 59 to 1:02 based on recent training, so it's much tighter than I'd like. I'll find a way to get it done.

I'm hoping the roads are closed pretty well. I'm from NYC and Florida drivers scare the hell out of me when I'm in a car. But I gotta make it to the bike first!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how clear the bay is, but I'll guess on a good day you can see the bottom pretty easy. (30ft?)

I'm off that weekend so I'm gonna head down and spectate. I might even vol. Hmm, hadn't thought of that.

I just looked at the bike course and when they say through the "the quiet, scenic communities of Miami" they aren't kidding.

CS

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it just me or does the run course look really short? From the AAA to Alton Rd isn't even 4 miles. Is that little loopy area in the park that far? (2 miles).

Going up the MacArthur on the second loop is gonna be a bitch. :)

CS

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they say the depth is approx 11ft, but I have found some info on the race site inaccurate or lacking so I wouldn't be surprised if incorrect. It sounds like you're in the area, can you provide some details on the bay- conditions- waves or no, I see you say decent current w/ tide, but anything else re water? I'm in Dallas so the lakes are MUCH different than oceans and bays!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
escape to miami is held just a few hundreds yards north of this location.

i can only say that the bay has strong current. for escape 2miami this added approx 300 yards to my swim in olympic distance. normally i am a 1:30 swimmer based on my garmin 310. my total time in that bay was 29 min. top elites had times of 22-24 min. so you can see it will be a slow swim.

i think the bike will be fine...and VERY quick. but the run will leave carnage...it will be hot and the bridge climb isn't going to be fun....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

i think the bike will be fine...and VERY quick. but the run will leave carnage...it will be hot and the bridge climb isn't going to be fun....

I'm not so sure about the bike. The course has a lot of turns and it looks like most of it is through residential neighborhoods whre the roads are gonna be an issue. I'll go out on a limb and say their will be alt least one dog issue on the course.

The winds "might" be an issue too. Every year at Miami Man the winds are a huge issue, but that's inland, might be different at the coast.

The run up the bridge on loop 2.... that's gonna be fun to watch. It's not steep, but just long and step enough to eat the legs.

CS

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
belive it or not the wind won't be much of an issue. i rode the route and i raced miami man. i know how painful miami man is especially last year with 30 mile per hour gusts.

remember miami man is out in the boonies with no cover, here you will be in town with big buildings. roads will be an issue until we leave downtown after that it will be smooth. kendall and old cutler will be very fast.

the run though...oh may...you will see how many people will mistake that "little" bridge for not a big deal....only to walk it on the way back. i have seen it for escape 2 miami....i made that mistake....running at 7 m/m pace up only to walk it on the way back....
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [Billy the Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know if anyone else noticed, but originally the bike course was essentally a looong and straight out and back (on the busway which has no turns for several miles). for anyone who knows miami traffic, that would've meant that traffic would not have been able to cross US1 (which runs parallel to the busway). no way that would fly - and apparently it didn't, because the course changed a while back. now it is more of a loop over to the Beach and then south through residential areas. it's not a BAD course as it stands now, but certainly the original version would've been much faster. the run course....yeah, just pray for the clouds.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah i just bought a bunch of skin cooler gear....today temp went back up....argh....suppsedly this week a cold front is comming 60's at night only low low 80's in the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the cut off time is from the last wave.....

---------------\ | / \ l /
---------------(:@ @:)
-----------oooO--(_)--Oooo-----------
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [clydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the cut off time is from the last wave.....

Sweet!!! I'll do my best to keep clear as y'all are coming through. Clydes first does seem like a terrible idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [Billy the Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes there is a major change to the bike course-the bike course will NOT be going over the causeways into Miami Beach. New map should be posted on website sometime tomorrow ......

Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see note on bike course bottom of this thread...

Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [clydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the Miami 70.3 has new maps for the swim, bike and run. Looks like there were some changes to all three.

http://ironmanmiami.com/?p=10

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer86: Oct 14, 10 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy crap they just completely changed the course. jesus....
Quote Reply

Prev Next