Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

liqued latex for tubular after install ?
Quote | Reply
So I called up one of my bike stores to get Hutchinsons fast air and they said they do not use it becuase it is to thin and does not work 9 times out of 10. So he suggested I put liqued latex in my tire as a preventive if I get a flat it will seal its self up. He said it cost about 20.00 and that they do it to all tubies they install both mountain and road. Also said it should only add a bit more weight and cost 22.00 to do. Should I ? I could not find Hutchinson fast air locally after going to all my local bike shops. One is ordering it for me and it will be in saturday which is to late. I am going to call Cadence right now to see if they have any and can bring to expo. But what do you think about liqued latex and should I still get Hutchinson as a OHH..... Shit SHIT SHIT SHIT... in case I just waisted 22.00 on liqued latex that does not seal properly.?

Re: liqued latex for tubular after install ? [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have absolutely no expertise, but that won't stop me from stating the obvious:) "Liquid latex" may very well negate any benefits of a latex tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I would take what they are saying with a grain of salt as liquid latex type sealants will get you going again, they are primarily aimed at the preventative aspect (installed before the flat occurs) were as Hutchinson FastAir and Vittoria PitStop are post flat tire corrective type products intended to get you quickly back on the road with minimal fuss. As for the liquid latex, while primarily aimed at the offroad and cyclocross markets, I have had good luck with Caffelatex in cross tubulars as it stays in a foamy state as opposed to traditional sealants like Tufo which eventually dry and form a lumpy mass in the tire. I used it last season and while it did not prevent my experiencing punctures, the two times I did flat, although the tire lost air and I had to pit for a tire change, the sealant held and the tire was able to be pumped back up within minutes and used for the very next race/rest of the season.. According to the companies literature, "Caffélatex™ repairs punctures up to 6mm (MTB) and 3mm (Road), and is ideal for MTB and road tubeless, tubular, and standard tires."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: liqued latex for tubular after install ? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks and like the other poster said in such a nice way :o) I guess I am better off waiting for the Hutchinson fast air. Like you said the one type dies and clumps up. I am pretty sure I do not want that on race wheel's I use 30 times a year if that. I think I will bring the pitstop and hope if I do get a flat it is not with the rear tire. Or I can get a piece of hose and bring a schrader adapter with me. Though then I start carrying all kinds of crap like I am going on a 10 day euro trek.

Quote | Reply
Look for liquid latex in the mtbr.com forums. I've used it with a mix of glitter to give it more "chunkiness" on my tubeless mtb tires. I bought artist's latex, and then diluted it a bit with water. MTbers call it Ghetto Stans. there are lots of recipes on mtbr.com
If you dont want to struggle with the mix, just get some stans and put a bit on your tubular tires.
Quote Reply
Re: liqued latex for tubular after install ? [chamuco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Look for liquid latex in the mtbr.com forums. I've used it with a mix of glitter to give it more "chunkiness" on my tubeless mtb tires. I bought artist's latex, and then diluted it a bit with water. MTbers call it Ghetto Stans. there are lots of recipes on mtbr.com
If you dont want to struggle with the mix, just get some stans and put a bit on your tubular tires.

Stan's uses ammonia, which will degrade the latex in many tubulars. Caffe Latex will not.

--------------------------------------------------
Yeah, it's a great bike but the engine needs work.
Quote Reply
Re: liqued latex for tubular after install ? [quellish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Stan's uses ammonia, which will degrade the latex in many tubulars. Caffe Latex will not.

My understanding is that ammonia preserves latex from bacterial degradation and possibly also acts to keep the latex particles in susupension - as the ammonia solution evaporates the latex particles coalesce forming a solid. Do you have a reference for that ??
Quote Reply