Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

*As can also be demonstrated by simply reading the wind tunnel specifications found here:

http://lswt.tamu.edu/...ance_Characteristics

which report that the boundary layer is only 1.5" thick, i.e., way below any frame member on a bicycle.
Missed this. While I guess it would be possible to engineer a wind tunnel such that wind speed 1.5 inches from the wall/floor is within .99 of the speed at the center of the tunnel, that goes against my under standing of wind speed characteristics.

Either way, it is not possible to have it both ways. If that were true, then the results would be valid for still air but not necessarily for riding into a substantial head wind.

Hey Frank...look at this photo and you'll see one of those clever ways that engineers have figured out how to minimize that pesky boundary layer effect you're so worried that they're ignoring ;-)

http://twitpic.com/228jx/full

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [frank z.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I think first of all bikes are built to be ridden by an athlete. With a test without rider we know now a Scott alone in the Windtunnel is the best choice. If you have alot of races like this on your schedule, the buy it. If not, then you have to wait for a serious test with a pedaling rider on the bike.

I think you need to read the paper that Andy Coggan links to SO often (such as previously in this thread itself) describing the correlation between tunnel data and actual field measurements.

In Reply To:
But:

Fuer die abschliessende Bewertung der aerodynamischen Qualitaet haben wir daher nur die reproduzierbaren Messungen der nackten Raeder ohne Fahrer verwendet.

makes not so much sense.

It makes perfect sense if you have read and understood the Kyle data that Doc C also refers to often showing the correlation of bike alone vs. bike with rider drag (with the rare exception of bikes like the Trimble, which is VERY different than the bikes being discussed).

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [WRE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Did you read the whole test? Then you would've realized that the bias was just to high with rider.

The bias?, or the "noise"?

In Reply To:
The only rational hing to do is to put a kind of plastic dummy on the bike.

Or...refine the test protocol ;-)

In Reply To:
Btw: I don't wanna offend you and many others but this kind of post of know-it-alls, who try to sell their half knowledge makes 80-90% of all those posts here rather useless. I rather trust a renowned bike magazine than anonymous slowtwitch posters :-)

Are you talking 'bout me? :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Test is flawed, Euros have such a fetish for everything Scott- it's outrageous. Ski, bike, they just dig it. Conflict of interest makes this test non-legit.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Did you read the whole test? Then you would've realized that the bias was just to high with rider.

Quote:
The bias?, or the "noise"?
You're right, bias is wrong. It's a random error. Think that's what you mean with "noise".

In Reply To:
The only rational hing to do is to put a kind of plastic dummy on the bike.

Quote:
Or...refine the test protocol ;-)
How?

In Reply To:
Btw: I don't wanna offend you and many others but this kind of post of know-it-alls, who try to sell their half knowledge makes 80-90% of all those posts here rather useless. I rather trust a renowned bike magazine than anonymous slowtwitch posters :-)

Quote:
Are you talking 'bout me? :-)
No, generally
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [WRE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
The only rational thing to do is to put a kind of plastic dummy on the bike.

Or...refine the test protocol ;-)[/quote] How?
Depends on what the source of the error is (mechanical, positional, architectural), but in some wind tunnels the precision of estimated CdA of a bike with rider is around .001 - .002 m^2.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Depends on what the source of the error is (mechanical, positional, architectural), but in some wind tunnels the precision of estimated CdA of a bike with rider is around .001 - .002 m^2.
I thought the problem of the rider is that he will always sit a little bit different or move and falsify the result because of that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I thought the problem of the rider is that he will always sit a little bit different or move and falsify the result because of that...
The imprecision that Robert mentions (i.e., CdA being reproducible to 0.001-0.002 m^2) includes - and indeed, mostly reflects - the source of variation that you describe.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 17, 09 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cheapo magazine should have just purchased the spec and cervelo frames. They don't need permission to test them.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Doubt fear had anything to do with it.

100% speculation on my part, but I can see it going down like this: any bike company with a reputation for aero prowess and a history of megabucks spent on tunnel time might ask for details on exactly how a magazine intends to conduct a test like this...and if a "wrong" answer (or no answer) can't be resolved, they elect not to participate.

Carl

(disclaimer: I don't know if we were even contacted...might start developing a SuperDave complex ;-) )

I'd hardly call it a complex. It's my job.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply

Prev Next