Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cheap zipper spoils the suit?
Quote | Reply
Went for a swim in my QR Superfull, pulled up the lanyard for the zipper and ....... damn thing came off in my hand! The pull tab that attaches to the zip body, had broken off. No sign of corrosion nothing. Just fatigue of a cheap part?

Quick fix, stuffed the lanyard in my suit, pulled the draw string from my trunks, threaded it thru the zip body and used it as a lanyard/pull tab.

Long term fix, used a zip tie for the pull-tab
Quote Reply
Re: cheap zipper spoils the suit? [mixedccr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had this problem with numerous pull tabs, Just about everywhere a little force is needed to remove a zipper, boom broken tab. My fix is this: I fish so I always have some large monofilament leader material 150-300 pound test, (large string) using the proper crimp I crimp a loop. Problem with this is that it can be stronger than the zipper so you have to be careful not to damage something else. The Zip tie sounds good if you have one of those little guns that cuts it off without leaving a sharp edge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is one game in town when it comes to zippers: YKK. you have no other choice. every now and then YKK sends you a bad batch. there is no way to know when that occurs except for when you start getting the finished good back. sometimes it's the zipper slider, sometimes it's the tracks. you can't blame the wetsuit/garment manufacturer. it's just a bad YKK zipper. once when i was a wetsuit maker we had to get back and replace zippers on 300 wetsuits. that was one out of the two times it happened to me over about a ten year period. but YKK was real nice about it. they gave us new zippers. which cost about a buck apiece. of course it cost us about $30 per wetsuit to fix and re-send each wetsuit.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two words: De Soto T1. Or is that three?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: cheap zipper spoils the suit? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two words: De Soto T1. Or is that three? Smile

Good question... much like, ... the three points of contact when climbing. When your sitting, does the butt cheeks count as 1 point of contact or 2.

lol

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what ever happened to just coasting your body in axle grease? no zipper worries then.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply