Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dog bite while biking - what to do?
Quote | Reply
I was just on a county road when a farm dog charged out and bit me in the leg. The bite itself is not serious, more like some deep scratches, but it scared the crap out of me, and I'm fairly upset about the whole thing. Has anyone ever had this happen, and did you pursue it with the cops or something? I don't want to waste a bunch of time on this, but I also would like to do something so other bikers don't get the same treatment. Is it the police, or animal control, or what?
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [reliantkcar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd file a police report. We had a house in the country/foothills that had at least four dogs that would run out into the road and chase cyclist, and for that matter, cars. It was definitely a hazard and I believe against city/county code. Some other cyclists reported it to the police and now the dogs are tied/fenced in.

Also, you may need to get a rabies report from the dog owner. Don't know much about rabies and all, but if the dog has not had its shots, you may need to see a doctor. If you cannot locate the dog or owner, it may be best to consult your physician. Rabies can be bad!

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Under normal circumstances I'd first talk to the owner. In 99% of cases he will be willing to co-operate and is likely even unaware of the situation.

It's a bit more serious now that the dog has broken your skin. You're in the right to notify authorities and get a rabies report on the dog.

True story - a woman once reported to police that my friend's dog had "attacked" her. She claimed his dog ran across the road from his property and "bared his fangs" at her causing her great distress. This babe was some kind of an abnoxious "rich bitch" who thought her she put her pants on differently from everybody else and she was determined to go after my friend and dog. She filed a complaint and the the cops issued a citation for my friend to appear in court. He did and brought me in as a witness. She showed up in court with some high priced lawyer who was equally determined to nail the dog (but hey, that's what he's paid for). Funny thing was, his dog had been out on a dive boat with us and four other scuba divers at the time this woman claimed his dog "attacked" her. The judge threw the complaint out since it was obviously a case of mistaken idea.

Just remember there is no such thing as stupid dogs. Just stupid owners.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you cannot locate the dog or owner, it may be best to consult your physician. Rabies can be bad!

Not to talk about all the other "fauna and flora" that can be found in a dogs mouth. Rabies is nothing compared to flesh eating bacteria (just to scare you).

I for my part would actually consider taking oral antibiotics when bitten by a dog. At least plenty of topical application.

See your doctor, even only for the reason to update your vaccination (Tetanus)

Disclaimer: I am neither an accredited physician nor do I play one on TV.

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can sue your coach who scheduled a ride where you got attacked
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a lawyer and destroy the life of the owner. This is America after all.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife was bitten this summer and required 7 stitches just above the heel. Suffered alot of trauma both mental and physical. In our area when a dog bite is treated the health authorities automatically report the incident to Animal Control and the owner must take the dog in for testing and assesment. If nothing else if you report this now you will do the next person and all of us a great service in that there is now "history" on the animal in question so that it can be dealt with as a repeat offender next time. I don't want to see a dog put down unecessesarily but if it's a repeat offender it may be the only alternative.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbs, this is it. You now officially reach the status of
LEGEND! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rabies concerns, anyone?? Dog bites should be reported to the animal control folks, after you mention to the neighbor what happened. This might not be the first time. If it's a pattern, it's a problem.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

seriously though, it happens quite a bit out here and I have filed complaints with animal control. I called the sheriff once and they also told me to call animal control. Let them handle it. Most owners that would let their dog run around like that would not be too sympathetic to some dude in spandex :)

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [maylene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
long ago (20+ years) i was bitten while running (I think it was called jogging back then!). I called my doctor who called animal control and they picked up the dog. It was unregistered, so they quarrantined (imprisoned I guess!) the dog while they did rabies antibody or whatever tests. Test was negataive but they did get the dog owner to pay my medical bills.

My first question to the dog owner would be "is it registered, do you have proof of rabies vacination?". Farm dog especially could have encounter with rabid fox, skunk, porcupine etc.

Be safe

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn to ride faster
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Learn to ride faster
Exactly my thought. I would make this part of my weekly speed workout.
Quote Reply
That's exactly why I carry a frame pump . . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest stopping and beating the little beast within an inch of its life with your frame pump.
Then, when I ride by later it will be less inclined to bite ME!

PS. I'll do the same for you.

----------------
Rich
Quote Reply
Re: That's exactly why I carry a frame pump . . . [reicher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, right! That sounds like it wuld be justt as apt to make him worse. Try some pepper spray.

BUT, REPORT THAT DOG. If it is a repeat offender or if it is ill, not reporting will allow him to injure or sicken others.

Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing like dog repeats 80 miles into a ride for a good change of pace.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many dogs can probably out run most of our cycling, at least in a short dash out to our legs.

Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short dash my ass. I've had a dog pace me for about a quarter mile at almost 25 mph. Another last week was on my wife and I until we hit a downhill and we didn't put any distance into him until we were well over 30 mph.

For the most part if you get chased by a dog and don't get caught it is only because the dog didn't really want to catch you.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> For the most part if you get chased by a dog and don't get caught it is only because the dog didn't really want to catch you.

No doubt. I've out-sprinted a couple of medium-sized retriever/setter types, and the spaniels, small terriers and other ankle biters are noisy and not too fast.

But boy do I dread the day a big 45mph greyhound decides to eat me.

-Zo
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Many dogs can probably out run most of our cycling, at least in a short dash out to our legs.[/reply]

Man, if you can't jump to 35mph in about 3 seconds from 20mph on flatlands then you need to practice sprinting more. I agree, dog repeats are a great way of enforcing the need to haul a$$. I can usually beat cars to 30mph from a clipped-in start, and I don't consider myself a good sprinter either...my buddy that lives 2 blocks away (and runs a race team) kicks my butt every time. I use some of the hills out here to do sprints up them on all my rides except the dedicated "recovery rides." Along the same lines though, did you know those damn horseflies can go over 35mph!?!?!? I had one drafting me and trying to land on me to bite me at 30mph, and it didn't give up until well over 35mph!

Regarding the dog, I would definitely talk to animal control and to the neighbor. Rabies is something you do *not* want to risk, and a dog can be infected and not yet show clear signs. I would personally demand proof of rabies vaccination if I were bitten by a dog.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd contact the law enforcement officials that have jurisdiction in your area. It would be nice to be able to discuss this with the owners, but, I doubt that you are first in line. Unfortunately, its not the dogs fault, its the owners fault that the dog is free to chase/roam etc.

I don't have a problem out sprinting a dog, I also don't have problems getting dogs to back down while I'm running. My kids on the other hand wouldn't know how to handle the situation and would most likely get bit, or worse.

I couple years ago I was going down the road and had a dog jump out and begin to pursue me across a traffic lane. There was an oncoming car and the dog lost the race. I felt really bad for the dog, but I didn't stop. There was nothing I could have done, and I'm confident that the owner would not have had any sympathy for some screwball on a bike that just got his dog killed. This wasn't the dogs fault, but the owners.

I have a border collie that would eagerly chase every runner and bike that goes by my house. He's fenced in and will remain that way. If I have him in the field outside of the fence, I'm with him and he listens to me.

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've had a dog pace me for about a quarter mile at almost 25 mph. Another last week was on my wife
??
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year a large pitbull came charging off a porch at me while I was riding. Just as I was ready to kiss my right thigh goodbye, his thin leash (which I couldnt see and was about 30 feet long) came taught and he did a complete backflip right in front of me. Thats as close as I have come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy an assult rifle now that they are legal

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Dog bite while biking - what to do? [assman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the worst part about the dogs (although I love all of them, except for the little yappy ones that aren't really dogs anyway, just glorified squirrels) is that you never hear them until it is too late. I remember bombing down a country road and hitting a hill, just as I start to hit the steepest part I hear the dog's chains about a foot behind me. Boy that peaked my HR. I find a good squirt with the water bottle usually stops em. And if you use your bottle with fuel in it, they stop and sit there and lick themselves to get it all. :)
M~
Quote Reply

Prev Next