Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Patriot Half...
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done the Patriot Half in VA?

I'm going to be in Arlington, VA for work on Sept 4 and could swing by to do the half.
Not sure how close it is though...well...on the map yes...but how long is the drive from Arlington?

Btw...what to visit? where to eat?
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the TA is right next to Jamestown Settlement. it is a bit of a drive from town though. I think our hotel last year was 20-30 mins from the race site. The run course is very hot most of it being on the colonial parkway with little shade. I worked last year and was in charge of keeping the aid stations stocked on the colonial pkwy portion of the run course. It at points looked like a death march but that was more with people who were struggling or late MOP to BOPers. I think it would be a nice race to do if you're in the area. We really try to do a nice job with all of our races and hope you will not be disappointed with our production.

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half... [swift] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there too and also know nothing about the course.

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So many questions Francois.

As to the drive - all interstate - on a clean drive about 2.5 hours. However, there is no such thing as a clean drive from Arlington. Traffic through the beltway is notoriously bad, and you could spend 2.5 hours getting just to Fredricksburg before it lightens up. Depends on when you leave. Friday evening would be very bad - Early Saturday would be better.

As to the course - flat, but like anything there are gotchas. VA can easily be in the 90s and will often run very high humidity - so even if you are used to heat, the swampy air can make it challenging for staying cool. Swim is in the James River, barely wetsuit legal. A notorious quarter mile from the water exit to T1 as well. They have re-routed the bike to take out the railway crossings, which was a major complaint from years prior. The run surface is cobbled, cemented pebble, no shade for lots of it. Even some elite runner I know found it a bit painful because of the surface and the heat. Event is well run, SetUp does a good job. Weather will be your major challenge.

As to what to do or see, Colonial Williamsburg is a big tourist draw, as is Jamestown settlement. You also have Busch Gardens and the Adventure theme park. Pierce's BBQ IMO is the best down there, but there are lots of good food choices in the Williamsburg area, likewise hotels and B&B. If you were really inclined, you are not that far away from VA Beach if you desire a bit of ocean time.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half... [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be there as well, and am looking forward to it :)

Excited to see Williamsburg for the first time too!!
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half... [Trigirl22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who has lived along 95 in Virginia - you are in for a real treat driving from Arlington to Williamsburg on a weekend day.

Beach traffic, and I mean all beach traffic, going south from DC and north has to take 95 at least to near Richmond where it splits off to 295 -> 64, which is the route to Williamsburg. This quickly becomes two lanes and smooth, except in the summer when it is the 7th ring of hell.

So drive at an off hour if you do not want to spend 4 hrs getting to Williamsburg. And do the same returning, I'd recommend returning very late if you are coming back Sunday.

Or try to make it to Fredericksburg and then take 17 South to Yorktown area - lots of lights when you get close but more of a country drive.

Should be a great race though, be sure to post a report for the Mid Atlantic kids...
Quote Reply