Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True...but Camapgnolo has not once in my 20 years of knowing about them put out a new flagship group that was not compatible with the other groups, even to the point that my current training wheels are on 12 year old Record hubs that say 8/9 on the freehub body. When they went from 9 to 10...they all went from 9 to 10 (but for the lowest end group). And, you to this day can purchase new Campy 9 stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree with you at all about the compatibility argument. If you think about the switch from 9-10 Speeds for Shimano, none of the new 10 spd stuff compatible with 9 speed. I don't know if Campy ultra Torque is compatible with previous grouppos or not or whether Campy introduced the UT in all lines at once.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"uh, not exactly. remember, shimano is the only maker of dual control levers where the brake lever itself has a second function: to shift the derailleurs. no other component maker (including campy and sram) have levers with this novel feature."

Hey...stop insisting on attention to the details, Greg. Geez....next you'll be insisting that all these rear-wheel cutouts aren't exactly engineered from the P2...and the Project 96 before that. Pfffffft.

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. The thing I'm wondering about is availability on any new prodct. And what ever did happen to that carbon crank?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't disagree with you at all about the compatibility argument. If you think about the switch from 9-10 Speeds for Shimano, none of the new 10 spd stuff compatible with 9 speed. I don't know if Campy ultra Torque is compatible with previous grouppos or not or whether Campy introduced the UT in all lines at once.
Actually that's not true, you can swap some of the 9 and 10 speed parts and still have it work.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone on Weightweenies said it was canceled due to the weight and stuiffness achieved in the new DA crank...

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That and they found out, no one was going to buy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the UT crank is 100% funtional with all other groups, as well as all Shimano and SRAM groups. A crank is a crank really. But what sets them aside is that a Record Ergo lever is 100% compatible with a Datona (no longer made) as well as a Xeonon for less than 25% the cost of Record. Campy really is the only system out there that lets folks on a budget buy the most frame they can afford - and upgrade the components part by part upgrade...and not need Sti Lever / Der / Cogset...

Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [indytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Actually that's not true, you can swap some of the 9 and 10 speed parts and still have it work.
I have a 2000 circa Record 9 speed Ergo lever that I converted to 10 for $20.00 and about 45 minutes of my time :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How? I have a chorus 9 group that I might like to try that with.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [jamiewilson3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.campyonly.com/howto/cam_change.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Very helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [jamiewilson3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy rocks...nothing isnt fixable, rebuildable (within reason)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, with the weak dollar, my DA9 replacement will be limited to Shimano or SRAM. I wish I had picked up some record when we were at 1:1 exchange rate, or even 1:1.2!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumb question: "Shimano claims that your days of trimming the front derailleur are over. No trimming will be required. This is a pretty big coup when you compare it to SRAM, since one big upside of Red (in comparison to their Force and Rival gruppos) was its inclusion of FD trim."

what is trimming a FD?
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [Easyrhino72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as you shift across the rear cogs, the front D will rub the chain. Trim is nudging over so it doesn't rub.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats what I thought. Just never heard it referred to as that. Makes sense though. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing I'm wondering about is availability on any new prodct. And what ever did happen to that carbon crank?

Tom,

FWIW, my contacts at Shimano informed me that Shimano, in testing, was able to make an aluminum crank that was lighter and stiffer than anything made out of carbon. Again keep in mind this was a Shimano-guy through and through, so your milage may vary!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 2009 - Interesting! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the crank is now officially dead. Shimano is having fun with all the info being put out about the new mechanical DA. The pics being posted are very early prototypes, and look nothing like the finished product. There'll be some big surprises as the Sept release draws near. Interestingly, while the crank may not be carbon, there'll be far more carbon than anyone has guessed so far.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply

Prev Next