Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: (NEW SLIDE ADDED with PROPER SCALE) Running - Understanding how to balance your program [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing all of this with the masses. Especially for running noobs like myself, it is definitely much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: (NEW SLIDE ADDED with PROPER SCALE) Running - Understanding how to balance your program [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry P -

I like what you've said here. I agree with all of it. My question is, as a high school CC coach, how did you balance these proportions from day to day and week to week? Do you mix intensities within single workouts often? How?

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: (NEW SLIDE ADDED with PROPER SCALE) Running - Understanding how to balance your program [The Dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a tough question. 1st off, as a team coach I've only coached track and field. I had helped coach only a handful of XC runners. In general one of the problems you run into with HS XC and track is that a lot of schools over schedule the meets. I ran 17 5K races in 11 weeks in my senior year of highschool. I was fortunate enough to be able to hold back in most of them.

In general I pay real close attention to the mileage early in the season and focus more attention to building up weekly mileage and the long run. I will throw in some 100s or 200s, but not at too intense of an effort, during the week. Long hill workouts, again not too intense (and not covered in my graphics...sorry) are also run. I also mix in some 20 minute tempo runs (for most levels) and crusie intervals as mile repeats with short rests. I'm very dilligent about keeping the pace in their zones.

Beyond that its really more about trying to have them hold back in a race any chance I get (and make it a tempo-ish run) and save them for the big meets.

Near the end of the season (for most HSers maybe only in the last 4 weeks) I ramp up some hard V02max workouts to try and sharpen them up for the state meet.

Typically my runners would peak real well at the end of the season, often dropping 30-45 seconds off their 5K times in the last month. The down side to my approach is, for example in track, you often have limited opportunities to make a qualifying time for the state meet. I always had to hope that they didn't get bad weather in the few chances they got.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's a tough question. 1st off, as a team coach I've only coached track and field. I had helped coach only a handful of XC runners. In general one of the problems you run into with HS XC and track is that a lot of schools over schedule the meets. I ran 17 5K races in 11 weeks in my senior year of highschool. I was fortunate enough to be able to hold back in most of them.

In general I pay real close attention to the mileage early in the season and focus more attention to building up weekly mileage and the long run. I will throw in some 100s or 200s, but not at too intense of an effort, during the week. Long hill workouts, again not too intense (and not covered in my graphics...sorry) are also run. I also mix in some 20 minute tempo runs (for most levels) and crusie intervals as mile repeats with short rests. I'm very dilligent about keeping the pace in their zones.

Beyond that its really more about trying to have them hold back in a race any chance I get (and make it a tempo-ish run) and save them for the big meets.

Near the end of the season (for most HSers maybe only in the last 4 weeks) I ramp up some hard V02max workouts to try and sharpen them up for the state meet.

Typically my runners would peak real well at the end of the season, often dropping 30-45 seconds off their 5K times in the last month. The down side to my approach is, for example in track, you often have limited opportunities to make a qualifying time for the state meet. I always had to hope that they didn't get bad weather in the few chances they got.
Barry:

There is a way around the so many races that some states still schedule during XC season. The answer is simple. Don't have kids run them all...especially the kids that can't hold back. Also, talk to your AD and try to have league cluster meets where all teams in the league show up and run at the same time...sort of a mini-invite but score each school head to head dual meet style. It saves lots of $$$ in transportation and it's catching on in more states now. Then you get more time to train and less time sitting on a bus.

Also, mixing intensities in practice everyday is possible and you might even get away with calling it speedwork, but by stating it this way an argument may get started but I'm going to say it anyway. (Run on sentence..I know) A lot of coaches have their runners do striders or sprints or whatever they call them after distance runs. That is all fine and dandy. But what is speed anyway? Big "pet peeve" of many XC coaches, because to some coaches...speed means all out max possible effort and when and if so, how long is anybody giving an all out effort in an XC race? At the start? At the end and if so are they really giving their maximum possible effort? I'm going to have to say the start and even more likely in track. What I'm trying to say is, to some people speedwork is not intervals or race pace or whatever. It's max possible effort and it's an energy system that should be addressed. When is the question. We've always had our kids do their's before every run as a drill because is anybody really giving their maximum possible effort out after a run no matter what distance it is. During the summer we will do them as a game or relay as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next