Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Golf creates anti-doping policy
Quote | Reply
From AP:

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. - Golf finally joined other major sports Thursday when its leading organizations announced an anti-doping policy that will begin in 2008.

You know I was a little suspicious when Michelson showed up for the Masters, he looked a little 'bulkly'. Now if we can get an anti-doping policy for sychronized swimming we'll be making progress.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Re: Golf creates anti-doping policy [Jim_n_La] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen Mickelson lately? The only thing he's going to be testing positive for is ice cream. His moobs have made a serious comeback this year. Tiger, on the other hand has some pipes. It's hard to tell unless you see a shot in mid swing when his sleeve rides up his arm, but the guy is strong.

I have a friend that played collegiate golf. He had some type of blood disorder and had to take massive amount of Prednisone for about a year and he had to get what I guess is the NCAA equivalent of a TUE. This was 15 years ago and handled by the NCAA, but they got tested.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golf is no longer about having ugly pants and a huge ass anymore. The nature of the game has changed and the sport is actually attracting...dare I say it...ATHLETES now. I know a handful of guys playing the PGA and Nationwide Tours and it takes a lot more than just being able to roll out of bed and hit the range for a few hours to compete these days. You have to be able to hit it a TON to really compete consistantly out there, and with the prize money being offered these days it will become more and more likely that guys will look for an edge. The things Tiger Woods can do with a golf ball are rediculous, and a lot of it has to do with his strength which has sent a lot of the guys on tour running for the weight room. Even Phil with his 'bitch tits' is working to get in better shape.

Nobody would ever say that professional golfers are the best athletes on the planet, but they are athletes. The blend of strength, coordination, and mental focus it takes to compete out there is a rare mix which is why there aren't a lot of people who can do it. Proportionately, there are a lot more people breaking 14hrs at Ironman than there are people breaking 80 during their Saturday rounds, and the courses they're on are dwarfed by those on Tour.

Maybe you have to have played golf with some of the guys out there or played one of those courses to understand or appreciate it, but the idea of people using steroids to hit the ball farther isn't that far fetched.

Aren't sychronized swimmers are tested at the Olympics along with the rest of the athletes?

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Golf creates anti-doping policy [Mark in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should've included a smiley face somewhere in there, it's fun in the sort of funny pants golfer vein. Yes I have played a few rounds of golf (almost two putted for par, got the juices going), big fan of Tiger, and yes I'd count golfers as athletes.

Good point about the sychronized swimmers, I've been chastised for making fun of sychronized swimmers too. Okay, I wonder if they've ever drug tested 'curlers' (bowling on ice guys)??? now that's funny.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Proportionately, there are a lot more people breaking 14hrs at Ironman than there are people breaking 80 during their Saturday rounds, and the courses they're on are dwarfed by those on Tour"

Whoa, I don't think breaking 14 hours at IM is like shooting in the 70's. I'd say breaking 12:30:00 or even 12:00:00 would be more similar. Or, if you want to stick to a 14:00:00 finish, compare the number of 14:00:00 finishers to guys breaking 90 at the club.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Good point about the sychronized swimmers, I've been chastised for making fun of sychronized swimmers too. Okay, I wonder if they've ever drug tested 'curlers' (bowling on ice guys)??? now that's funny.

Erm, Curling is in the Olympics as well, so yes they have drug tested curlers.

As for synchronized swimmers, those ladies do swim workouts that would kill most of the people on this forum. Just becaause they participate in an "artistic" event doesn't mean that they're not superbly conditioned athletes.

I place curling in the same category as darts, snooker and yes golf, a skill. Athleticism may help these people but it is not necessary to win ( John Daly, Craig Stadler etc. I mean seriously, if your nickname is "the Walrus"... ). There is no way the female equivalent of John Daly could win an event in synchronized swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 . . . then explain John Daly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough to knock anyone at the top of a sport no matter how 'easy' it looks...especially when I'm out running around in spandex during rush hour this morning :) Is kind of funny to think of some guy who hits it 150yds (sideways) juicing to improve his game though.

While its less likely you'll find pro golfers taking PEDs than it would be in say football, baseball, cycling, triathlon...its an issue and its good to see them moving forward with it given the changes to the game over the last decade.

I would think the ice bowling guys & gals get tested at the Olympics too as I'm sure there's some sort of PED that would help them...beta blockers maybe??? Actually they may not if its not a medal sport, which I'm not sure it is yet...don't know as I don't really follow it, but did you see some of the curler chicks in the last Olympics? There were some serious hotties.

Fit2Tri Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Golf creates anti-doping policy [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably better stated "Proportionately, there are a lot more people breaking 14hrs at Ironman than there are people capable of breaking 80 on a tour course from the tips and set up how it would be played during the tournament"

Most people just don't understand how good these guys are at what they do and how rediculously difficult the courses are when set up for a PGA event. The Open is an extreme example but try hitting a 15yd wide fairway, and if you miss, hitting out of 6" rough and trying to hit a green that's rolling a 12-14 (like putting on concrete). Breaking 80 on a tour course would probably be closer to a 10:00-10:30 IM.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Re: Golf creates anti-doping policy [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Daly is way out of shape, but that doesn't mean he's not incredibly talented. He's a natural athlete with incredible touch and hand-eye coordination. He's probably got more natural ability than Tiger, which Tiger has even admitted to before. Would have been great to see what John could have done had he taken better care of himself. Its a credit to how much ability the guy actually has that he's won 2 majors after what he's done to his body.

Fit2Tri Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Golf creates anti-doping policy [pjnow00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Athleticism is absolutely necessary at the top levels of golf to win...just because a guy or girl is a little round doesn't mean they aren't athletic. The coordination, mental focus and these days, strength it takes to be able to win a PGA tour event is unreal. Those are soome of the athletic attributes necessary to win a golf event against the best players in the world.

Different athletic attributes are required to win a synchronized swimming event. I'm sure there are girls at the top levels that don't have the athletic looking body, but have many of the other skills (breath control, strength, flexibility...) that are required to be a great synchronized swimmer.

Nobody is saying that these guys could go out tomorrow and do a 9hr IM...but hell Michael Jordan couldn't either, and either could Tom Brady, or "Insert Athlete from another sport here". Just like most IM athletes couldn't break an egg with a golf club.

Its all about athleticism specialized towards a specific event.

Fit2Tri Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rumored to be next - bowling and darts.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Different athletic attributes are required to win a synchronized swimming event. I'm sure there are girls at the top levels that don't have the athletic looking body, but have many of the other skills (breath control, strength, flexibility...) that are required to be a great synchronized swimmer.

I knew a few synchro girls back when I was in university. They're way tougher than 98% of this board.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply