Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [tildenm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play along... since my reasoning is "not exactly good" try considering this...

In response to:
b) potentially ruining other peoples races?

Situation A) No support anywhere in sight since all family members have been told they need to stay home and aren't part of the race and/or EVENT. A suffering Ironman athlete is ready to give up during the race... accepts DNF (DNF=RUINED RACE)

Situation B) Mrs. Tri Wog ( or somebody like her ) is there and gives the same athlete the encouragement he/she needs... at just the right time. The athlete continues and may or MAY NOT have 5 seconds added to their finishing time instead of a DNF

I would hardly call Situation B "potentially ruining other people's races" when we are talking about middle of the pack and may or MAY NOT even be talking about 5 seconds of time on the race results page instead of a DNF.

In response to :
c) this is somehow not a selfish act

Generally speaking... when you're talking about a child or a spouse... for a middle of the pack finisher... my opinion is that it is not.... selfish that is.... at least not for the vast majority of families and competitors I know since most triathletes in my experience comprise a kind and supportive community and certainly not for the TriWog "team" as they are some of the most selfless people I know in the triathlon community (hence the volunteering example I gave in my previous post).

However, if one bad apple were to exceed the boundaries of common sense and good taste by bringing their dogs, cats, cousins, brothers, parents, kids, sisters and anyone else they could round up to go through the finishing chute at one time.... you could call it classless, inconsiderate or cheesy and I wouldn't argue.... but that was not the scenario that was presented and it is certainly not the scenario I chose to defend.

Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tied ringing cowbell! Paulo, you have the IRONMAN fever, right..and the ONLY R/X is more cowbell.

Seriously, this thread is not only sickening (in that anyone cares if the other racer carries their kids with them across the line) but silly. Hawaii? How many on here can say that someone else carrying their kid cost them a Kona slot. Zero, nada, zilch. Step up (with race, bib #, time and how you were shafted outed of your Kona slot) or shut up and find something remotely interesting to carry on debate, comment about.

It is a nice sight to see when competitors do this.

Peace out!
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [hammerheadny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well put hammerheadny. I was thinking it.... and then you said it... both better and faster than I would have. Amen.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [mdcrag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has there every been a finish line "crash" where people have been knock over etc at ANY triathlon?

I understand both sides of the argument, maybe a "clone" finishing gate just past the real one for family pictures.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It obvious in your reply that you have not trained correctly to be an under 5hr tri athlete. You need to train on finish line tactics just a much as T1, T2 transitions.

Go to your local supermarket (the narrower the aisle the better) and practice running up and down the aisle passing the large families blocking the aisles.

To be worthy of being an under 5hr tri athlete there is more that just swimming, biking, and running involved. Maybe have some caddy ready at the next finish line, when a family blocks you, throw the caddy ahead and to the right as you make your move on the left.

Better luck next time.

Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [hammerheadny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct, this argument never ends, but one thing is more important than "a few seconds" or possible interference. A much bigger and serious problem of congestion in the post finish chute.

Athletes know what a hectic place the post finish area can be, especially in the 10-14 hour range. There are walkers, photographers, chip grabbers, medical personel, race officials, finishers medals, t-shirts and more all in a very tight area. It is very important that the finishers are "grabbed" (they do fall down frequently), given medical attention if needed. Some even walk a minute, then collapse. The last thing needed in this area is kids, other adults, grandma and the dog to add to the congestion.

I've been to over 50 IM as a spectator, support crew and volunteer. The "everyone's doing it, why can't I" has escalated over the past 15 years. What happens when almost everyone brings their families in? It will then become an enforced rule and no one will be able to do it.

Oh, and the miss a Kona slot arguement doesn't cut it. Slots are earned by who crosses the line first. If you are held up, so is the person you are in competition with. Then it boils down to who can push their way through the family first. :-) Can you say roller derby?

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   Slightly off topic but I have to say this was one of the more surprising parts of my first IM last year (one of the few things I didn't prepare for). I was a late finisher (between 9-9:30) and got "grabbed" by a husband and wife team. After a little chit chat it dawned on me that they weren't letting go and were "inspecting me". Creeped me out at first until I realized it was just SOP.

Ended up standing in line for sign up the next morning right behind them.

"It is very important that the finishers are "grabbed" (they do fall down frequently), given medical attention if needed. Some even walk a minute, then collapse.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's a true story that happened to me the other day:

I was waiting in line at a coffee shop. The guy in front of me moves and steps on my toe. I told him "Sir, you're stepping on my toe". He replies that he has come a long way to be at that line. That he hasn't tasted real coffee in a long, long time. That to get there, he had to endure a lot. I told him "But Sir, you're still stepping on my toe". Then his wife comes up and steps on my other toe. And keeps going about how she was always there for the guy, how she endured a lot to get there, how it's their right to be there, and me and my aching toes can just wait. Finally the line moved and I was able to order. But my toes still hurt.

Aren't you the dumb ass for just standing there!
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your assesment.

Most of the big races have got onto a slippery slope with this issue and their is no easy way off. To ban it now, even though they have every right to do that, would cause a HUGE up-roar with a great deal of negative feedback for the event(s).

The family finish thing makes compeletly no sense to me at all, personally. The irony is very soon they are going to have to make rules for family finishes because this is one of those instances where people seem to toss rational thought and common sense right out the window and clearly it's getting a bit out of control at times. If the events had nipped it in the bud years ago, and educated people about the rules, the common-sense and rational of it, then we would not be having this discussion.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 29, 07 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The family finish thing makes compeletly no sense to me at all, personally. The irony is very soon they are going to have to make rules for family finishes because this is one of those instances where people seem to toss rational thought and common sense right out the window. If the events had nipped it in the bud years ago, and educated people about the rules, the common-sense and rational of it, then we would not be having this discussion.

I agree...

What would happen if (one possible scenario) let's say Joe Triathlete decides he want's to carry his 6 month old baby across the finish line, so he grab's the child and starts walking down the chute, he trips over a wrinkle in the carpet, and in his weakened state can't get his balance and falls, thus dropping the infant onto the carpet, the child hit's it's head and suffers irreversible brain damage or worse. (Granted this may never happen, nor would I want it too) Does Joe Triathlete have a case to sue for damages? The RD knew it was against the rules for this practice yet does nothing to stop it from going on.....

http://wardmoya.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a little chit chat it dawned on me that they weren't letting go and were "inspecting me"

Don't lie - you were hoping it was a wife-wife team "inspecting you"...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [NamssoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) now that I know how things work I will linger in the finish chute next weekend until I get the "grabbers" that are appealing (hopefully a couple of WI sororety girls) then push through/knock over the entourage ahead of me to get to them; and I will require LOTS of attention.

2) unfortunately with how I look after one of these is over I'm sure the experience won't be all that interesting to the receiving party

[reply][b][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 2][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 2]After a little chit chat it dawned on me that they weren't letting go and were "inspecting me"

[/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font][/b][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 2][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 2]Don't lie - you were hoping it was a wife-wife team "inspecting you"...[/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font][b][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 2][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 2]
[/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font][/b][/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [vo2maxed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Does Joe Triathlete have a case to sue for damages?"

Yes, based on the negligence of the RD not fixing the carpet.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply

Prev Next