Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [BBdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

All 282 posts of that particular thread....enjoy!

You seem to be assuming a lot. Where in Mike C's post does it say anything about new people or not looking things up. I certainly don't see anything that indicates he is "mad". I don't see where he "called the guy out". It is actually pretty straight forward. Is is possible if the OP is new, as you claim, he might like to see the previous discussion?

I often respond to posts with links to previous threads. I am not mad or ridiculing anyone. I am only providing them with information, assuming they didn't see the previous discussion.

Support Crew
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [mdcrag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why can't this be resolved like they do at most big marathons? You RUN across the line alone, it is a race after all, and establish your finish time. Then after the line of medal givers and space blanket people there is another distant coral that you can stand with your family in front of one of several nice big fancy Ironman backdrops. If they want to go a few steps further, they can put your time up on a clock or superimpose it digitally. To make it even more of a circus sideshow, they can even have cardboard cutouts of your favorite pro (or coach) you can pretend to be racing against, whatever.

I can't comment on it interfering, but in my First IM in AZ I will be dissappointed if I have to slow down at the end for a family crossing. It is a race against the clock, others and myself. And yes I do have a family. And I realize it is stupid to worry about seconds after a 10 or 15 hour race but it is a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, there is your answer

Indeed, there seems to have been a sea-change in 10 years. Ten years ago I had the opportunity to do this with my then one month old son when I did my last race at IMC in August 1997. However, the thought never occured to me at the time and I have no regrets that I did not do it then or now. Back then it was very un-common amongst just about all race entrants to do this.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Jul 24, 07 8:42
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At all Ironman races I watch I see people that are there racing alone and they don't have anyone waiting for them at the finish line. It's so sad to see that, it's almost as they didn't accomplish anything when they cross the finish line.

I think that maybe Janus or other charity should set up some volunteers to be somebody's family and cross the finish line. We could perhaps start out the Be-My-Ironman-Family Foundation for those poor bastards that cross the finish line alone. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A FAMILY CROSSING THE FINISH LINE WITH THEM!

Come on people, we can make this happen! Slowman, turn this into a sticky post!

LEt's build the Be-My-Ironman-Family Foundation!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know that it has become a big thing to some people to grab a photo op with their supporters to compensate for all the "sacrifices" they have made to allow them to finish.
Two weeks after I finished my first triathlon, I received my masters degree. My husband made quite a few sacrifices of time and money for that moment, yet my university wouldn't let him stand next to me when I got my diploma!!!

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [mtb2die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you enter the oval and start rounding the first bend you should be able to look back and see if there is anyone behind entering. When you reach the gate at the end end of the turn, there is no reason you can't beat the guy behind with your kids if you have a 50m lead. If you don't have a sufficient "lead" then just stop and wait till the coast is clear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished LP and my son ran in with me. He was in a holding corral and my husband had to sign a waiver for him. I didn't expect him to be there, but he has run in with me before and was expecting to do it again. I just let him run next to me. He is 9 and its no big deal once they're that age, but when he was younger it was more dangerous for him and the other atheletes trying to finish.

I wish NO ONE was allowed in the finishing chute except the athletes. I don't particularly want to worry about my son's safety or whose way he might be in at that point. But when he goes to these races and sees all of the other kids doing it he is crushed if he can't as well. And my husband basically caves and lets him do it.

I went immediately to the med tent since I had been sick all week. I couldn't focus on where my son was and they wouldn't let him follow me back to the med. area. He is old enough that I didn't need to worry too much about him, but if he were younger there would be the problem of the volunteers trying to hold me up and get me medical attention plus having my son wander around unsupervised until my husband could come around from the holding corral to find him. Plus it adds to the congestion of the finishing area when they are trying to assess the athletes and keep everybody moving, take off the timing chips, etc.

I think it is TOTALLY ridiculous to have anyone besides children running through (which is dumb in itself). You're grandma? You're brother-in-law? You're grade school teacher? How about you're priest or shrink? WHY would an adult who didn't run the race even WANT to run through the finish line? It seems ridiculous and I would be pissed if I was being held up because someone had to drag their entire extended family through. It is a race after all. I was trying to break 14 hours and if it was only a matter of seconds I would have been really mad if someone's old auntie had gotten in my way. Jesus, after all that work let me have 10 seconds to enjoy the accomplishment without dodging a bunch of people who don't need to be there.

Tell your family daily how much you appreciate their support. Thank them on race morning and take a moment to stop and hug them when you see them on the course. But keep them out of the finishing chute and let every athlete have the few seconds they deserve to enjoy the finish.

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms." -- Mike Ditka
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [CindyJo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CindyJo, I agree with you. While it was cool having my son run with me, the reason why he wanted to run was because he sees all the other kids doing it. But I told him that I am still in a race and it will be a race to the line :-). I am glad to not have to go to the medical tent, but if I did have to go, it would be a pain to coordinate synching my son back up with my wife amidst all the traffic.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you being such an A-hole. Believe it or not, there are new people here who were not here in October. Nobody is forcing you to look things up or respond. The search feature while useful, is not flawless.

Now, there's two ways to respond to your post, one is in a manner that I'm tempted to, dripping with sarcasm....and the other is to say "hey, this topic has been covered in depth before and on numerous occasions...here is another discussion that might be interesting and on point...."

You can interpret it whichever way you like. Interesting to note that you immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm an "a-hole" (btw, it's okay to spell out asshole, Dan won't ban you for it unless it's in the subject line...I think...) by doing a search myself and posting a link to a rather lengthy thread that someone not here in October wouldn't have seen...

...or something like that.

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [CindyJo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It is a race after all. I was trying to break 14 hours and if it was only a matter of seconds I would have been really mad if someone's old auntie had gotten in my way. Jesus, after all that work let me have 10 seconds to enjoy the accomplishment without dodging a bunch of people who don't need to be there.

This happened to my sister in law at IMMoo a few years ago. She wanted to break 12 hours and was held up by two families in the chute, including an extended family of at least 8 people. I was there, I counted. She finished in a few seconds over 12. Her finish picture had the families in it. She was also racing for 5th in her age group. Of course 6th was also held up too.

Support Crew

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of you who are against carrying children through the finish line and having family support around- what is your opinion of Dick Hoyt?

http://www.teamhoyt.com

He carries his son through the entire course!

Many of these events are family events. Many of us have spouses and children who put up with our long hours of training. Being able to have them at the race is a great boost. While I don't allow my 5 year old to run through the chute with me- he is right on the side lines yelling- "Go faster Mommy! Go Faster!" So I have to put on a good hard finish for him. My husband will then bring him around to the back of the chute where I'll let him wear my medal and ask him if I ran fast enough for him.

As for having a group of people in front of you slowing you down so they can get a family photo finish- trying to get through a line of slower swimmers, its the same as having the people walk through transition in front of you or the bikers who ride all the way to the left so you can't pass them, cars pulling out in front of you on the course, lack of directions on the course- its just another item to deal with. It depends on how you want to deal with it. Jump in the photo with them and wave your hands all over the place. Yell "coming through" and plow through them. Slow down and wait so you can have your own finish photo.

If this is something race officials don't want to happen, then they can make an announcement prior to the race, make announcements throughout the race at the finish line warning against this and offering family photos in another area after the race. The Disney Marathon offered a post race picture area so you could have one taken with family and friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy:

I have come to realize over the years that any of these big races (thousands of competitors) is only a race for a couple of hundred people and an "event" for the rest. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't say you were an A-hole. Only that you were acting like an one.

Perhaps I have reacted too strongly. But your first response was unnecessary and probably did nothing but probably make the original poster feel like he had posted something worthless. Thats the feeling I would have had if the first response to one of my threads had said that. Then you follow it up with the link which in and of itself is fine. However, my perception, and its merely my perception is that you were calling the poster out for posting something that was nothing but a waste of time.

I see this type of stuff alot, and not just in this case. Where responders basically say, "DO A SEARCH" to anything that has been discussed in the past. As a new member, it makes me hesitant to start a thread, figuring that as a newbie, my questions or ideas are probably a waste of time.

In the end, although I admit I was pretty harsh, I was trying to point out that the responses like your first one, or others stating that a search should have been done prior to posting a new thread, are not helpful. Not only are they not helpful, they may keep new people from becoming a part of the forum. Perhaps that the reason for them, I don't know.

Just sharing my thoughts

"It takes courage to do it, to be a runner. We all found that out a long time ago. Because it's about more than fatigue. It's about pain, and dealing with it for a long time. And its about resolve." - Quentin Cassidy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say you were an A-hole. Only that you were acting like an one.

Ummm....

"Why are you being such an A-hole"

But anyway, no worries overall...I know with my first response to my thread it set things up as though I was being critical, etc., which is why I just followed up with a link to that rather lengthy thread without comment. We were all newbies once and it's not my intent to try and chase away anyone. I think that is rather pompous of anyone to believe they could do that, but I suppose it does happen.

And as this thread has played out, it's obvious that even though this topic has been brought up and discussed at length a number of times in the past that there is still plenty more to say about it....so to the OP, nicely done in starting a thread with this much activity.

And I always love the "I didn't call you such and such, just that you were acting like such and such". I've used that line many times before...and I never meant it. I really did mean to say you were a such and such....

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem carrying the kids across. I plan to run with my 17 year old daughter across the Kona finish line.
At IMLP we were astounded at How many kids some finishers had. We couldn't count them all sometimes. What a bunch of breeders!
We wondered how they find time to train and make all those kids? :)
Stacy
konaboundstacy@blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do realize they offered a bike/run option at IMCDA this year. If you didn't feel like you wanted to try swimming, it wasn't a problem. I know there were folks who did one lap and then just decided to skip the 2nd lap and start with the duathon folks at 9am.

Surely these people didn't get the same award and stuff. They just did a duathlon. Different story. Many tris offer duathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you do it in these surroundings and win, people may even think more of you :-) (This is the winner of Norseman Xtreme Triathlon 2004: Rune Høydahl) Picture from http://www.hicksnett.com.

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Last edited by: LastManWalking: Jul 24, 07 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>At all Ironman races I watch I see people that are there racing alone and they don't have anyone waiting for them at the finish line. It's so sad to see that, it's almost as they didn't accomplish anything when they cross the finish line. <<

I will be all alone in two weeks at Vineman. Will you fly out so you can run across the finish line with me? Or maybe I can borrow Oleander, LongBoarder and Mrs. LongBoarder?

Oops, it's not a "real" IM so never mind.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I will be all alone in two weeks at Vineman. Will you fly out so you can run across the finish line with me?

Deal! Now we just need to find a dog!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cried when I read that

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [bigdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
auto-DQ
AGREE!
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what people will say when a kid gets seriously hurt? Probably will blame the guy or gal trying to qualify for whatever, break x hour mark, please a sponsor or whatever.

My suggestion was have two finish areas;

1) competitive - race to the line

2) non-competitive - family finish line, bring your entire nuclear family...but it is a no passing zone, so if people stack up because some kid crapped his pants and fell down...tough for everyone.

At the FL 70.3 four racers I was battling it out with for 4 hrs and 59 minutes had to come to a scretching halt because some dick head had his three daughters in tow. None of us finished under 5 hrs and his finish picture has all three of his girls looking behind them...at us. Nice photo dad! I'm looking forward to racing you next year you ass.

When my friends children asked me why we (he and I) don't finish with the kids my response was,
"That is unsportsman like and inconsiderate behavior toward the other people I'm racing with."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
I will be all alone in two weeks at Vineman. Will you fly out so you can run across the finish line with me? [/reply]

Deal! Now we just need to find a dog![/reply]

Not a problem! I think we could come up with a gaggle of kids too. Maybe Cousin Elwood will stop over and can play the role of grandpa.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the kids carrying you across the line? Is that OK?
In my case, nearly dragging me across the line.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next