Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [BBANDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Learn, why would anyone want to cross the line. I do think it should either be banned or there should be a second chute. The way you did it, is probably the best should someone proceed (letting the guy pass you). I don't think you should be shot, banned, or tortured. It is something WTC should enforce and make it well known that it will be heavily enforced, and then ACTUALLY enforce.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You do realize they offered a bike/run option at IMCDA this year. If you didn't feel like you wanted to try swimming, it wasn't a problem. I know there were folks who did one lap and then just decided to skip the 2nd lap and start with the duathon folks at 9am.[/quote]
---------------

Kicking butt and writing down people's names since 2001
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hope you assign running intervals where the athlete must carry a 15 pound bag of potatoes during the last few reps ...

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [eric_mtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have just gotten in the middle of them and held hands or something. No difference in me being in their photo if they're going to be in mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would have just gotten in the middle of them and held hands or something. No difference in me being in their photo if they're going to be in mine.

Different strokes.

The family caused a minor disruption at the end of a 12+ hour journey for a few people. I'm not one to stop 5' from the finish line or pause or feel like I should have to swerve so someone else can have a moment. At the very least he should have paused and allowed other to pass until it was clear.

As far as the picture I'd rather not have to explain to people every time they'd look at the photo who the hell the family was that wasn't mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [mdcrag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a violation of the rules and I would never bring my family across the line with me and they wouldn't expect me too. The first time a family member crosses with me will be when my daughter actually races one and I may be too far behind her by then to get in the picture :)

I know that it has become a big thing to some people to grab a photo op with their supporters to compensate for all the "sacrifices" they have made to allow them to finish. If they are going to allow it and promote it, I just wish that IM North America and the WTC would add a second chute so that people who actually are racing and do care enough to try and "sprint" to the finish to reach whatever goal they have set for themselves never have to encounter a wall of somebody's family blocking their way.

Is this just a North American thing or do the IM races in Europe and Australia have the same "problem"?

On another note, a one IM race that I was at a guy came across the line with his young son and then he promptly collapsed. The volunteers were then forced to deal with his medical problems and trying to find someone to look after the kid which obviously is another problem with the family photo op.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It boils down to sportsmanship. If grabbing your kids, your grandmother, the dog and your mailman to share the experience of crossing the finish line with you doesn't compromise anyone else's hard-won finish (and photo)- then by all means- celebrate! But if there are a large number of finishers headed into the final mile with you and you sense the finish chute will be crowded- show some consideration and cross as a good sports(wo)mam with the rest of athletes.

That's nice in theory but in practice it doesn't happen. How many people decide oh sorry it's too crowded honey you can't come with me even though I told you you could and you waited here 12 hours. Anyone doing that should be DQ'd, period as far as I'm concerned. It's against the rules. You would consider it outside assistance would you not? I've done one 70.3 race and of course some idiot was in front of me with his kids strolling thru the chute blocking the entire width of it. If I had hit one of his kids with an elbow as I ran past them whose fault would it be? mine? bullshit. I wondered about it afterward because to be quite honest after 70.3 miles I wasn't exactly thinking clearly. I was thinking about finishing strong like I do at the end of any race, whether it's a 5K or 70.3 . I can't believe people actaully think it's right to do this.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like everytime I see a family, kid or dog crossing the line with the athlete, I wonder if the non-competitors really care if they are crossing the finish line, or if the competitor is just doing it to make himself feel better about neglecting his family for a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [BBANDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, I was recently told by someone who should know that to do this there is: 1) a separate pen that your family has to go to; 2) you can't take a bus load of people out there - 2 or 3; and 3) you can't carry kids in case you drop one. I take it some smoke was being directed to the location of my.....?
-------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]>>Do I care what someone else thinks...no.<<

Nice attitude. MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME[/reply]

I agree! I'm so over the self centered 30 and 40 something no kid MOP'ers who get their panties all in a wad when a mom or dad bring a kid through the finishing chute. Waah, waah, waah that your 14 hour finish is delayed three to five seconds!
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Meebo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]>>Do I care what someone else thinks...no.<<

Nice attitude. MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME[/reply]

I agree! I'm so over the self centered 30 and 40 something no kid MOP'ers who get their panties all in a wad when a mom or dad bring a kid through the finishing chute. Waah, waah, waah that your 14 hour finish is delayed three to five seconds!
I agree! I'm so over the self centered 30 and 40 something mom or dad MOP'ers who get their panties all in a wad when a competitor wants to run through the finishing chute with the best race time they can. Waah, waah, waah that your 14 hour finish is a family photo op!

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they get finishers Tshirt and medal too???

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say that I am very annoyed at the whole kids/gogs/grandparents/neighbors crossing the finish line, I just don't think it belongs in a race, and it's not fair for everyone else. I really don't see the point, if no one started that, whever they did start that, who would even think that it's ok to do so?

For the record, I love kids, love my grandmother and my family, but I just came back from IMLP, and I can't tell you at how annoyed i was, as a spectator, to see strollers/dogs/families ALL OVER THE RUN AND BIKE COURSE. WTF?????????????? These people were clueless, athletes coming by and swerving, unbelievable... maybe it's because i am an athlete? I would just think common sense applies in those situations, period!

Other than day, it was so much fun to spectate:-)
Last edited by: Marisol: Jul 23, 07 20:26
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me you just sound like another elitist triathlete, and there's plenty of those around this place! You elitists disgust me!!!

Can't you understand that triathlon is an individual sport and that each racer is doing HIS OWN RACE??? So it's ok if he/she gets to do what he wants the whole race. Remember that no man is an island and race day is also for all those that supported the athlete getting to the finish line. So why is it not OK to have family and friends cheering you on? What if the cheering gets in the way of the other people racing, it's not like you're going to win the race!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i get really annoyed by people like you. I have my wife and 3 kids very excited about crossing the line at ironman canada. They are part of my training and preparation, my wife cook my meals and the kids clean my bikes and have painted me aero helmet. They mean a lot to me and i want them to cross the line with me as they are also all ironwife and ironkids, and i have all intention to have the new member of the family, Simba, our yellow labrador cross the line with us!

hope you will understand on day that it s all about who cross the line with the bigger party of friends.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah ah ah "wife and 3 kids" THAT is funny!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
please dont be disrespectfull.....you forgot my yellow lab!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
hope you will understand on day that it s all about who cross the line with the bigger party of friends.....

I couldn't agree more, Jonnyo! I'm glad you understand how us common age-groupers think!

Here's an idea: Why not allocate 5-10 second slots for finishing? The organizers can put a gate before the last turn into the finish straigth, that opens every 10 seconds. The athletes and respective family can wait there until their turn comes and the gate opens. Then they'll have the finish chute all for themselves, where they can be all alone sharing some wonderful and unforgetful moments!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing is, you never hear them whining...

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
>>Do I care what someone else thinks...no.<<

Nice attitude. MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME

LOL - I was about to reply to the dude. Nice one! He admits he neglected his 20-month old and pregnant wife during training. The 50 m he enjoyed with them in the finishers' chute is supposed to offset those months?

On the positive side, the inclusion of family can only secure the future of IM racing and help encourage kids (and families) to adopt a fitter lifestyle, but it doesn't necessarily have to be running through the finish chute w. them!
Last edited by: Trichiquita: Jul 23, 07 21:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMWA is going to be my first IM and, because I don't have a wife or family, I am going to grab about 90 cheering spectators around the finish chute to run in with me. Obviously this will take some coordination as I recruit, so I hope the people behind me will understand and just wait. It will be one hell of a finish line photo though!

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I recently completed an online survey from WTC. One of the questions was whether I cared about people picking up their kids from the crowd and carrying them across the finish line. Do people really care about this? I've done 4 IMs and at every race people have done this. It didn't affect me one bit. Who really cares??[/reply]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I ran across the line with my 3yr old daughter last year and it was the highlight of my race. She still loves watching the finish video. I would recommend and encourage it!!!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Smilin' Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe people actaully think it's right to do this.

I wonder where the tipping point was with this phenomenon. 10 years ago it was not an issue. There was the occasional person that did it, but it was no big deal. The race announcer may have made mention of it, and then it was forgotton - on with the race. Now, it seems like every big triathlon I go to ( and I just returned from IMUSA where I saw record amounts of this happening) it seems to be more and more prevelant. What happened? Why was it that 10 years ago it was rare, now it's common. Are the athletes today that different? At IMUSA on the weekend at certain times, it seemed rare for a single athlete to be crossing the line on their own!!! So clearly we have tipped.

Again, I note that in the rule books it clearly states, that it is not allowed. 300m further back on the course and this is called pacing, but in the last 50m it's OK. Call me confused.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 23, 07 21:55
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying Kids at IM Finish [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always been extremely tempted to grab the finish tape as I run through and hold it up like I just won.

I'm running out of "finish line moves" to keep those photo's looking good. Next year at IMCDA I'll be flashing gang signs as I run through.
Last edited by: walnutcreek tri: Jul 23, 07 21:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>, I just don't think it belongs in a race<<

Well, there is the problem! It's not a race, it's an "event".

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next