Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [DougT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP6, CP 30, etc. etc. are terms coming from training with power. CP stands for Critical Power. If I say my CP30 is 300watts, then 300 watts is the average power that I can hold for a 30min TT. Power devices are only recently becoming available to the masses, but there is a lot of theory out there on how to apply power to training. My coach happens to be a Friel associate and applies the theories coming out of that camp. He only tests CP30, and makes formulaic guesses at the other CPs for purposes of designing training.
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Paul Fabish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fantastic stuff.. no more zone 1 and 2 training for me!! just kidding.. I've always done interval training for both cycling and running, and have had fantastic results. Now there seems to be some controlled studies to support my results.

Strange how the 30 second /w 4.5 min rest and 4 min /w 1.5 rest produced the best results for 40k time trials. Which points to anaerobic work benefitting aerobic efforts!!

mike
Quote Reply
CP30, etc. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP30 is the average wattage you can produce for an all out effort over 30 minutes. CP6 is....6 minutes, etc. Joe Friel did an article for Powertap or that other wattage measure device describing training with power that goes into detail on determining, and training with, the various levels. You can probably find it with a google search. Of course, it can't be used without a means of measuring wattage.
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Smitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to stir the pot a little...

http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/vnews//985981276

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I was obstaining from posting for a while, but I wanted to comment on this one. I have been training 3x per week on the traininer (plus 1 long TT road ride) for the past 10 months. I think that is is very efficient training and has greatly improved my strength. Oh yeah, I live in San Diego as well and can ride year round (although it is raining right now).

My only concern right now is keeping my motivation high to compete year round. I go into "burnout mode" every once in a while, probably because I train/race 2x per month all year. I am going to try and get some addl road time in to see if I can pep up and get back into it.
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Dave in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there's probably some truth to that article, but there is no way someone without a cycling background will be able to effectively finish a 100+ mile ride without regular longish rides.. your body needs to be exposed to those distances. This guy trained with pro-roadies in Spain, no wonder he kicks ass on the bike. He's already built a huge "base".

I'm sticking with a one intense interval indoor trainer session, another fast roadie ride mid week, and a long ride with tri buddies on the weekend.. throw in some technique work occasionally.

mike
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary,
Congratulations on your success achieved by training indoors. My question is this: do you think you could do the same workouts on the road that you did on the trainer? The general feeling I've been getting is that people think a trainer ride is the only way to keep themselves honest in a workout. Wondering if that's the same feeling that you have.

Riding indoors all the time does seem to wear on the motivation, though (as you mentioned), as does competing all year. Coaches I've talked to (and the opinion of Slowman on this site) is that there should be a definite 'rest period' during the year to keep the motivation up, especially mentally.
Quote Reply
Re: I ride outdoors [Smitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smitty,

I do all my riding outdoors, even today in the rain but I will be under cover. WIth the ocean breeze flowing in - I set up the traininer at lunch in the shade and ride outside. It is the most valuable piece of equipment I own, really. Right now my times have been off because of stress, but I have greatly increased my leg strength and ability to ride at LT for extended periods of time.

That said, when I started on the traininer it was really difficult to ride for 1+ hours at a hard pace. Now it is a daily routine. Generally my training program consists of:

(this is my real program that works best for me)

1. 1 day of low rev BIG gear strength training, 1.5 hr
2. 1 day of short high level interval repeats, 1 hr
3. 1 day of 1 hour at 80% mhr at 80-85 rpm
4. 1 day on the road for a 2.5 to 3 hr TT ride, with a 1 hour warmup, 1 hour variable TT session, and 30 min cooldown.

I might mix in some running to do some summer sprint Du's and road 50 miler races, most of my racing is 20k, 10 mile and 11 mile time trials.

Gary (PS I use a Kinesis)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two weeks before a important race my coach puts me a from 5 to 8 max effort series of 4 km.... 1 km rest between them....

This works fine to me....

Now that I'm training for 1/2 Iron sometimes I do some sprints of 8km max effort....

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you're ever in Toronto, let me know and we can chase each other around"

Living in rural Ontario,I have to ask where do you guys ride in Toronto? I hate driving my car there with all the traffic. Can't imagine riding a bike there, at least not safely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I question the safety of doing hard interval workouts on the road... I know that there have been more than a few times when I've been too shot to trust myself to ride the bike straight. In an actual TT race this isn't as much of an issue because the roads tend to be closed the course marshalled. In tri's it's not an issue because you're never riding to your limit in a triathlon (if you care about your run, that is).
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [zuikis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ten mile time trial outside will teach you pacing and improve vO2 max, LT, etc. The 5mile TT inside on rollers will imrove your vO2 max, and pain tolerance :)

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Living in rural Ontario,I have to ask where do you guys ride in Toronto?"

I actually used to ride right in the heart of downtown in rushour while going to school. Keeps you awake, that's for sure, especially in the snow. Definitely don't recommend that on a road bike. But, finding a road with a bike lane that takes you down to the lakeshore isn't too difficult (Royal York in the west) and if you ride outside on the weekend mornings, everyone's asleep 'till at least 10 anyway. There are roads or paths all along the lakeshore that can be ridden to get you out of the downtown core. If you want to do a flat TT type workout, it can be done on the Commissioners St circuit near the Leslie Spit and Cherry Beach. It's pretty much deserted on the weekends.

However, my riding partners and I will often drive outside the city or leave from work (in Mississauga), to get to the great roads around Milton, or the Forks of the Credit near Orangeville.
Quote Reply
Re: How about workouts for biking faster? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know, man. I guess riding on the rollers has taught me to die in a straight line... :)
(or the drivers are getting more courteous....naw, can't be that)
Quote Reply
Don't take too many pit stops [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could add anything to this discussion, it would be this, and it pertains more to ironman cycling than the olympic distance.

When you are doing your long rides, it is essential that you do not stop every 20 miles or every hour to refill bottles, screw around, go to the batchroom, stretch etc. In the beginning of the season and during base training it is good to go on group rides with your buds that are more social and include goof off stops. However, toward the end of my ironman build up last year I started doing all my long rides solo and with the camelbak (which I absolutely can't stand to wear). This would allow me to do long rides of 100+ miles and only stop 2 or 3 times. You need to do this to learn how to ride within yourself and hold the pace on race day when you will have your butt planted on your seat for 112 miles straight. Also, learn how to "evacuate" your bladder on the bike even for training rides.

I live in Madison, WI where we have a plethora of country roads without stoplites or traffic to faciliate this appoach. If you live in a metro area, then maybe the trainer is the place to pull this off. But I can't personally imagine riding for 5+ hours on rollers or trainer.

Kyle Handley
Quote Reply

Prev Next