Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: now 777s are grounded [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justcallmejoe wrote:
I didn't know you were an FAA investigator. Good to know!

FAA are not the only experts here...
Quote Reply
Re: now 777s are grounded [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, where is he getting that the fan blade ricocheted forward on SWA1380? That didn't happen. Large chunks of the failed fan blade in that incident were lodged inside the engine, not flung forward. He even then says that it was determined to be a contained engine failure, which is correct! There were not fan blade pieces flug forward, that is what they mean by contained.

I had to stop there.

You are correct, all of the fuselage damage on SWA1380 was well aft of the engine location.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're using research from a Rolls Royce engine on an Airbus vs a 777 with a P&W, 2 different platforms probably using 2 different technologies.
Quote Reply
Re: now 777s are grounded [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justcallmejoe wrote:
You're using research from a Rolls Royce engine on an Airbus vs a 777 with a P&W, 2 different platforms probably using 2 different technologies.

No this is kinda fundamentals here. The fact is the blades have enormous energy. Making a casing that would not deform due to the massive energies involved here would be incredibly heavy. The casing are designed to absorb and contain the blades, they are going to deform doing that. The energy has to go somewhere.

The loading on the blade are also similar between the designs, that is just what is going to happen when the blade that is under load and suddenly snaps at is going to do. They are lever in bending being pulled forward of the engine by the lift they create, but that does not mean they will go forward during a failure. Grab a pencil, hold the bottom with one hand. Then with your other hand pull the top towards you. Now release your grip on the bottom, where does it go? Now if you release the top, it obviously goes away from you. Not to mention there are huge air loads pulling it into the engine and high surface area. This won't be affected by the composition or the different aerodynamic designs of the blade. Just look at how they failed in the video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
nevertoolate wrote:
Blades being pulled into the engine under load?
The cowling deforming when a blade shears off?

Yeah, better stop here....

Everybody is an expert. LoL.

Yes, the engines are pulled backwards. What loads do you think are on the tips of these fan blades.

Yes, there is huge deformation. The amount of energy imparted on the casing from these blades is mindblowing. Of course there is huge deformation. Where else do you think the crazy energies go? That is how things work.

You don't need my expertise to know that. Here is a youtube video showing both the blades being pulled backwards and the crazy deformation:
If you want I can explain more the dynamics here and the engineering of systems for fan blade out events.

OK. you're an expert. What I meant to say is:

I did not see the cylinder containing the blades deforming laterally. Sure, the engine 'breathes' behind it, but the cylinder (titanium?), doesn't deform significantly. That would shear all the blades right off.

Basic physics dictates, and the slow mo actually shows, that the exploding blades do move laterally and slightly forward first, not backwards.
Engine pulls backwards, blades get pulled forward relative to the engine. Basic physics.
I mean, they design the blade containment cylinder to extend forwards, but not significantly past the fan blade stage.

So its totally feasible and normal, that the blades could just separate/slice off the cowling at the front of the cylinder? No?
Am I totally wrong on this?
Serious question.

Anyways, doesn't matter. What do you think? Ingestion (unlikely), or more likely a hairline fracture not detected during inspection (x-rays)?.

For sure, this time it's not P&W or BOEING's fault.
Last edited by: nevertoolate: Feb 22, 21 21:15
Quote Reply
Re: now 777s are grounded [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nevertoolate wrote:
chaparral wrote:
nevertoolate wrote:

Yes, the engines are pulled backwards. What loads do you think are on the tips of these fan blades.

Yes, there is huge deformation. The amount of energy imparted on the casing from these blades is mindblowing. Of course there is huge deformation. Where else do you think the crazy energies go? That is how things work.

You don't need my expertise to know that. Here is a youtube video showing both the blades being pulled backwards and the crazy deformation:
If you want I can explain more the dynamics here and the engineering of systems for fan blade out events.

I did not see the cylinder containing the blades deforming laterally. Sure, the engine 'breathes' behind it, but the cylinder (titanium?), doesn't deform significantly. That would shear all the blades right off.

Basic physics dictates, and the slow mo actually shows, that the exploding blades do move laterally and slightly forward first, not backwards.
Engine pulls backwards, blades get pulled forward relative to the engine. Basic physics.
I mean, they design the blade containment cylinder to extend forwards, but not significantly past the fan blade stage.

So its totally feasible and normal, that the blades could just separate/slice off the cowling at the front of the cylinder? No?
Serious question.

Anyways, doesn't matter. What do you think? Ingestion (unlikely), or more likely a hairline fracture not detected during inspection (x-rays)?.

I don't know the containment design on the P&W engines, but you can get some hints from the photos on the thread. There is generally a large amount of composites in the design, lots of aramid fibers. You can see what looks like a aramid honeycomb in the picture.

No, that is not basic physics here. Yes, the blades do have a load pushing forward, but it is not that simple. These are beams in bending, so that forward load at the place where the blade breaks is moment. This causes the piece of the blade that breaks not to have a forward vector, but a rotation. Going back to pencil example, you will see this. So that is where that energy stored up due to the loading of the blades goes, not forward, but a rotation. Then you have the massive airload on these pieces, that will then push the piece backwards. So while part of the blade does move forward, the blade is not shot forward. It just rotates until it is stopped.

This is why it won't stay in the correct orientation to slice the leading edge, because the piece is rotating on that short axis. For it to hit the cowl like that it would also have to present the greatest surface area to the incoming air, which would make it very hard to keep going forward. So slicing the leading edge like that seem so incredibly unlikely. The damage seen is due to the loads that cause it to be ripped off. And also hitting the ground from thousands of feet in the air.

What you are also thinking is the containment going forward of the blades is actually mostly boundry layer control and some noise insulation.

See South West Airline 1380:

Notice the similar damage to the engine? That is was due to the fan blade out event also. The damage done to the exterior was due to the extreme loads and deflections on the engine casing from the fan blade out event. All of those exterior parts are attached to structure that deformed under the loads and failed. Or structure that unlatched a panel that can open for service.

I don't know why the fan blade failed. Could be all sorts of things. Probably not some ingestion, they are designed to handle some big birds (strangely heavier birds than empennage is designed for, I guess heavy birds will not hit the tail for some strange reason, always seemed like an odd regulation to me). Could be a crack not detected. Or could be a crack that grew much larger following inspection. Or some weird corrosion. All sorts of things could cause that.

I do think we are going to see some regulations in the future to further prevent these fan blade out events from causing parts to depart the airplane. It is just that the loads are so crazy and so many ways for it to fail it is going to be hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
nevertoolate wrote:
chaparral wrote:
nevertoolate wrote:

Serious question.

I don't know the containment design on the P&W engines, but you can get some hints from the photos on the thread. There is generally a large amount of composites in the design, lots of aramid fibers. You can see what looks like a aramid honeycomb in the picture.

No, that is not basic physics here. Yes, the blades do have a load pushing forward, but it is not that simple. These are beams in bending, so that forward load at the place where the blade breaks is moment. This causes the piece of the blade that breaks not to have a forward vector, but a rotation. Going back to pencil example, you will see this. So that is where that energy stored up due to the loading of the blades goes, not forward, but a rotation. Then you have the massive airload on these pieces, that will then push the piece backwards. So while part of the blade does move forward, the blade is not shot forward. It just rotates until it is stopped.

This is why it won't stay in the correct orientation to slice the leading edge, because the piece is rotating on that short axis. For it to hit the cowl like that it would also have to present the greatest surface area to the incoming air, which would make it very hard to keep going forward. So slicing the leading edge like that seem so incredibly unlikely. The damage seen is due to the loads that cause it to be ripped off. And also hitting the ground from thousands of feet in the air.

What you are also thinking is the containment going forward of the blades is actually mostly boundry layer control and some noise insulation.

See South West Airline 1380:

Notice the similar damage to the engine? That is was due to the fan blade out event also. The damage done to the exterior was due to the extreme loads and deflections on the engine casing from the fan blade out event. All of those exterior parts are attached to structure that deformed under the loads and failed. Or structure that unlatched a panel that can open for service.

I don't know why the fan blade failed. Could be all sorts of things. Probably not some ingestion, they are designed to handle some big birds (strangely heavier birds than empennage is designed for, I guess heavy birds will not hit the tail for some strange reason, always seemed like an odd regulation to me). Could be a crack not detected. Or could be a crack that grew much larger following inspection. Or some weird corrosion. All sorts of things could cause that.

I do think we are going to see some regulations in the future to further prevent these fan blade out events from causing parts to depart the airplane. It is just that the loads are so crazy and so many ways for it to fail it is going to be hard.

"So while part of the blade does move forward, the blade is not shot forward. It just rotates until it is stopped."

Thanks, that makes sense.
I guess with the increased forces generated by these huge high performance engines, new regulations regarding attachment of their fairings would be appropriate.

Living near a major airport, I am not too happy.
The increased noise due to the newer FAA 'channeling' of approach/departure paths is an annoyance, but the possibility that hard things drop on your head is not fun.
Not flying that much, but air traffic certainly has picked up again.
Quote Reply
Re: now 777s are grounded [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't need regulations on the designs or strengths. This is a known flaw with any turbofan and you can't design them any better than this. Instead you monitor lifetimes and inspect and take them out of service prior to failure. This was most likely a failure of United to properly inspect or monitor the fans (maybe due to operational interruptions from Covid) or it was a 6 sigma crack growth.
Quote Reply
Re: now 777s are grounded [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A great vid with the cockpit/tower recordings, these pilots have ice water in their veins.
.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Wler87pwY
Quote Reply
Re: now 777s are grounded [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: now 777s are grounded [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
They don't need regulations on the designs or strengths. This is a known flaw with any turbofan and you can't design them any better than this. Instead you monitor lifetimes and inspect and take them out of service prior to failure. This was most likely a failure of United to properly inspect or monitor the fans (maybe due to operational interruptions from Covid) or it was a 6 sigma crack growth.

Future regulations won't be so much about stopping fan blade loss, but about that loss resulting in nacelle components departing the airplane. Already the rules detail that the structure must sustain the vibrations during the windmill phase resulting in the fan blade loss, but it is obvious less successful dealing with the initial loads due to the impact of the fan blade on the case.
Quote Reply
Re: now 777s are grounded [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
A great vid with the cockpit/tower recordings, these pilots have ice water in their veins.
.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Wler87pwY
Tom Wolfe wrote:
Anyone who travels very much on airlines in the United States soon gets to know the voice of the airline pilot . . . coming over the intercom . . . with a particular drawl, a particular folksiness, a particular down-home calmness that is so exaggerated it begins to parody itself . . . the voice that tells you, as the airliner is caught in thunderheads and goes bolting up and down a thousand feet at a single gulp, to check your seat belts because ‘uh, folks, it might get a little choppy’ . . . Who doesn't know that voice! And who can forget it—even after he is proved right and the emergency is over.
Quote Reply

Prev Next