Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my 100th TR ride on Thursday this week!

Admittedly there were some incomplete rides when I was injured and decided it wasn't time to get back on yet or went to do a ride before work realized I didn't have it in me then ended up doing it after work. So probably 94 or so complete rides but my profile says 100!

I've talked quite a few people into it and are now using it. Not sure I can get the GF on it but I have a second fluid trainer now so we'll see.

Great stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo-van wrote:
Nate and Company, is it possible to do a workout using TR on two devices one after the other?

I have a 3 hour ride on Sunday, was thinking of doing an hour on rollers (TACX Galaxiia, but would use your Antares profile) and then switch to Kurt Kinetic Trainer. Both same bike, but Power Curve is different.

Thank

i think you would need to likely pause and save the first workout, then restart the workout and just start it where the other ended and continue on. You'll need to unpair the power meter sensors from the first trainer and then pair up the second trainer in between workouts, so i doubt you'd be able to do that while keeping the workout running. ultimately both workouts get saved into TR so you'll get the full "credit" for doing both, as well as the metrics for each. Only thing that might not add exactly is the normalized power, but some quick math should be able to get that information.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rondal is correct! :)

Thanks for responding Rondal.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:

Admittedly there were some incomplete rides when I was injured and decided it wasn't time to get back on yet or went to do a ride before work realized I didn't have it in me then ended up doing it after work. So probably 94 or so complete rides but my profile says 100!

I've talked quite a few people into it and are now using it. Not sure I can get the GF on it but I have a second fluid trainer now so we'll see.

Great stuff!

Wow, 100 rides! That's awesome :). Thank you for spreading the good word, that's how we grow.

We're like 95% men, but I've seen a growing segment where men get their wives/gfs on the trainer and they end up working out more than them. As we all know, cycling is a great calorie burner and it's not as hard on the body as running. Plus it's easy to get an optimum workout with TR.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:

Great stuff!

Wow, 100 rides! That's awesome :). Thank you for spreading the good word, that's how we grow.

We're like 95% men, but I've seen a growing segment where men get their wives/gfs on the trainer and they end up working out more than them. As we all know, cycling is a great calorie burner and it's not as hard on the body as running. Plus it's easy to get an optimum workout with TR.

i've got the gf on TR a handful of times. she does a fair bit of spin classes and i wanted her to see what TR was like so she could tell me which was better/worse. i just let her on my account and knocked my FTP to around 60% so she could experience it. she said it was a lot harder than a structured spin class without power readings, and that the KICKR in ERG mode was relentless (read: lots of whining). she enjoys the social aspect of spin at the gym, but i could see her using TR and trainer a bit more to improve her riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now outside yoga and swimming (every few weeks) all her workouts are just cardio cinema in the dark at Gold's Gym, so she doesn't really even get anything social out of going to the gym.

She wants to do a half this year (syracuse) and only got this bike last summer after watching me race there so I think some time on the trainer at home now on her own bike will be a little better than a random exercise bike at the gym. We can keep the lights off, bring up a random movie and do it together is my thought. I think she is nervous after seeing me on the trainer though.

Hopefully she can give it a try this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw the Trainerroad stuff online, and looks exactly like what I need.
I have a computrainer, but no other form of power, so it is hard to ensure your effort is correct during the individual intervals. Especially when you start pushing higher efforts. tried to do it in erg mode, but that is freaking impossible, as soon as cadence drops, the load feels like it increased signifigantly.

I have a Computrainer Pro model 8001. I have purchased their new software, and it is hooked up to a laptop. Am i all set if I go on website and sign up, or is there something else I need?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
I have a computrainer, but no other form of power, so it is hard to ensure your effort is correct during the individual intervals. Especially when you start pushing higher efforts. tried to do it in erg mode, but that is freaking impossible, as soon as cadence drops, the load feels like it increased signifigantly.

I have a Computrainer Pro model 8001. I have purchased their new software, and it is hooked up to a laptop. Am i all set if I go on website and sign up, or is there something else I need?

Your CT should plug right in and work fine, but I'm not sure how that solves your problem. The workouts will use erg mode for the most part and if you switch it to slope mode than you are back to trying to manually meter your effort. If the erg intervals are impossible, you might be doing something wrong, stop letting your cadence drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the same CT and use TR. Just make sure the first thing you do is test yourself (as all plans start this way) to get your baseline. If you've set your FTP correctly the efforts should never get so difficult you can't complete them and even then you can just hit - button to ease the workout if need be. My suggestion is to spin up and keep it up at a high cadence as much/often as possible.

If you set the FTP wrong then you may not be able to get through the session properly as they are all based off % of the FTP you input.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom,

I have noticed that when I ride in slope mode I'm fine, but same wattage in ERG is way harder for me. My FTP is 360, so in zone 2 mid around 225, it makes no difference, but when I get up to 300-320, it is brutal in ERG mode. The problem in slope mode for me, is I can't monitor, my interval wattage output. Make sense. I was told I would get more detail, and could do that with the trainerroad software.

Thom wrote:
CJAC wrote:

Your CT should plug right in and work fine, but I'm not sure how that solves your problem. The workouts will use erg mode for the most part and if you switch it to slope mode than you are back to trying to manually meter your effort. If the erg intervals are impossible, you might be doing something wrong, stop letting your cadence drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
Thom,

I have noticed that when I ride in slope mode I'm fine, but same wattage in ERG is way harder for me. My FTP is 360, so in zone 2 mid around 225, it makes no difference, but when I get up to 300-320, it is brutal in ERG mode. The problem in slope mode for me, is I can't monitor, my interval wattage output. Make sense. I was told I would get more detail, and could do that with the trainerroad software.

Thom wrote:
CJAC wrote:

A steady 300 watts should feel the same in slope or erg mode. I'm not sure why your experience is different.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was reading about this somewhere else in the forum, and a lot of people stated the same issue. something todo with how the unit measure power.

When i do sweet spot at 310 in ERG it is brutal, much easier in slope mode.

So long story short, if I use trainer road in slope mode, will it be able to give me enough feedback, as in avg for a given interval, to ensure effort is appropriate for workout? Where CT just gives current and over all avg?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thom wrote:
CJAC wrote:
Thom,

Thom wrote:
CJAC wrote:

A steady 300 watts should feel the same in slope or erg mode. I'm not sure why your experience is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
I was reading about this somewhere else in the forum, and a lot of people stated the same issue. something todo with how the unit measure power.

When i do sweet spot at 310 in ERG it is brutal, much easier in slope mode.

So long story short, if I use trainer road in slope mode, will it be able to give me enough feedback, as in avg for a given interval, to ensure effort is appropriate for workout? Where CT just gives current and over all avg?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thom wrote:
CJAC wrote:
Thom,

Thom wrote:
CJAC wrote:

Yes :). If it doesn't, you can get a full refund in your first 30 days, so there's no risk.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, with the ToS coming I have a question about the multiple editions of each Sufferfest workout that comes up when I search for example: The Long Scream. What workout counts toward ToS, or do they both count? I'm talking about "The Long Scream (pre June 2013)" or the one titled "Sferfest The Long Scream" I see that there are multiples for The Long Scream, Fight Club, Angels, and Revolver. Just looking to clear a few things up before I start suffering. I would hate do complete one and have to do it again because i used the wrong version in TR. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate,

I had recently some issues with my powertap, reading my power numbers into the 1000's. That got recorded into my personal records. When I went to reset my personal records, it wiped out all my TSS history as well which I didn't want to do.

Is there any way to reset those TSS numbers? Username is Babakhani
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last night my ride was super choppy on virtual power moving up/down despite what felt very even output (mostly losing power by 100W). Is this likely due to picking a proper "averaging" period (and what would be smoother), or my wheel slipping on the trainer (setup as always has been), a bad sginal connection via ANT to my computer, or something else? Thx for any ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,

More of a trainer road training question.
I've just started the first week of the traditional base mid volume 3 plan however I quite want to do the tour of sufferlandria. Do you think if I did that then continued the base plan afterwards it would muck all of my training up?

Cheers!

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious if anyone knows if there would be much difference in reported virtual power from putting a 650c bike on a Fluid2 trainer vs a 700 on the same trainer. I adjust the wheel size in the TrainerRoad app to be correct for the smaller wheel, but after doing a new 20 minute FTP test my result was about 10% lower on the 650c than previous test on the 700. It's definitely quite possible I'm just out of bike shape, the previous 20 min test was 5-6 months ago and I haven't been on the bike as much the last couple months. But just want to make sure there isn't something else going on.

Glenda
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:
Nate, with the ToS coming I have a question about the multiple editions of each Sufferfest workout that comes up when I search for example: The Long Scream. What workout counts toward ToS, or do they both count? I'm talking about "The Long Scream (pre June 2013)" or the one titled "Sferfest The Long Scream" I see that there are multiples for The Long Scream, Fight Club, Angels, and Revolver. Just looking to clear a few things up before I start suffering. I would hate do complete one and have to do it again because i used the wrong version in TR. Thanks

Any of them count :). So any version of Angels will count.

When the tour starts this will be more clear.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Hi Nate,

I had recently some issues with my powertap, reading my power numbers into the 1000's. That got recorded into my personal records. When I went to reset my personal records, it wiped out all my TSS history as well which I didn't want to do.

Is there any way to reset those TSS numbers? Username is Babakhani

Yes, you can go to an individual workout and exclude it from your records. Here's how to do that: http://support.trainerroad.com/...rom-Personal-Records

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
Last night my ride was super choppy on virtual power moving up/down despite what felt very even output (mostly losing power by 100W). Is this likely due to picking a proper "averaging" period (and what would be smoother), or my wheel slipping on the trainer (setup as always has been), a bad sginal connection via ANT to my computer, or something else? Thx for any ideas.

The most likely case there is that your magnet is out of alignment. It's probably just at the edge of being picked up. Try getting it very close to the speed sensor but not so close that it will touch it when it passes.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deludedcyclist wrote:
Nate,

More of a trainer road training question.
I've just started the first week of the traditional base mid volume 3 plan however I quite want to do the tour of sufferlandria. Do you think if I did that then continued the base plan afterwards it would muck all of my training up?

Cheers!

No, that would be fine. I would take a couple days off after the ToS. It's very very hard this year.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmatom wrote:
Curious if anyone knows if there would be much difference in reported virtual power from putting a 650c bike on a Fluid2 trainer vs a 700 on the same trainer. I adjust the wheel size in the TrainerRoad app to be correct for the smaller wheel, but after doing a new 20 minute FTP test my result was about 10% lower on the 650c than previous test on the 700. It's definitely quite possible I'm just out of bike shape, the previous 20 min test was 5-6 months ago and I haven't been on the bike as much the last couple months. But just want to make sure there isn't something else going on.

Glenda

There shouldn't be any difference as far as math is concerned. Someone else might be able to chime in about the physics aspect, but I suspect there's no difference there either.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
There shouldn't be any difference as far as math is concerned. Someone else might be able to chime in about the physics aspect, but I suspect there's no difference there either.

Cool, I was afraid it was just because i'm out of shape, at least it's good to know :)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Periodically during a TR session, my power will drop out completely for 5-10 sec then comes back on. Checked the power meter and according to the blinking lights, the pm is working fine. Anyone else have this issue in Trainerroad. It's a Quarq pm.
Quote Reply

Prev Next