Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TxDude wrote:
I was riding KK Road Machine and using virtual power. I just bought the new version of the road machine AND added Quark power meter to my bike. My FTP dropped from 270 to 209 on the 20 minute test.

That's a huge drop and my guess is changing the trainers had nothing to do with it since I stayed on the same brand. My guess is my virtual power reading was grossly over-stated as compared to a real power meter.

Is this normal for those using Trainerroad VP and then switching to a power meter?

Virtual power is precise but not accurate. Your power meter is accurate in telling you what your actual FTP is. But the increase or decrease in the FTP should be the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas is correct :). Thanks for explaining it.

Little more info here: http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, been with TrainerRoad now for over 2 years, and love it. Tried Zwift a few times just to see what the fuss is about. TrainerRoad, you got nothing to worry about.

Virtual scenery is of no interest to me.
Virtual riders, a very small somewhat.
Group Rides, somewhat.
Jerseys on my training rides, no interest, though I see that there are users who like them.
Custom bike, and kit for my virtual rider, nope, could care less, but I see the "gamer" types like it.
They have signed some Pro Riders like Jens Voigt that gives them some visibility.

However, unless you want to practice race simulation all the time, I see no benefit. I want to get onto TrainerRoad, load up my workout and follow that Yellow Line through the workout. I don't want to be chasing virtual riders. Again, this is just my opinion, but I'm almost 60, so possibly not their demographic.

It would be cool for me to choose a TR workout, see who else is doing that workout somewhere in the world and have the ability to see our stats on the screen at the same time.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothless wrote:
I posted this on another thread as an answer to a similar question; I am doing Trainerroad with virtual power because my only powermeter is an older wired Powertap (not compatible with TR). For my FTP tests I record the data in both Trainerroad and Poweragent and then compare. The difference is 80 watts or so right now, with virtual power being the higher of the 2 numbers. I would assume others have had similar experiences.

Did you try to do the 20 min test at 270 watts and blow up? If so you might want to try it again with more realistic pacing.

Yes I quickly found out I wasn't going to hold onto the old FTP of 270. :)

Thanks for the other comments everyone. I figured VP was relative even thought the absolute number was an estimate.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,
Can you guys please clean up update your software and website please?
You guys rearranged the training plans and renamed them. But the software still has different workouts than what I see in the training plans. Also the training questions section in the website still refers to all the old plans.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo-van wrote:
It would be cool for me to choose a TR workout, see who else is doing that workout somewhere in the world and have the ability to see our stats on the screen at the same time.

Yes yes yes, a thousand times yes.

What you mention above is the whole reason why I started TrainerRoad. I want to be able to do group workouts with friends around the world (each at our own FTP). :)

Before we do that we need to revamp the Mac/PC app with the new and improved code in our iOS app. That's our next big initiative. I'm hoping we can execute pretty quickly. Our dev staff is 3x as strong now and we have about 70% reusable code from iOS.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Nate!
Trainerroad is the amazing torture expirience. I'm totaly satisfied. But what about olympic distance tri plan? My A race is on 06/28/2015. I'm kinda itchy :)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [eec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in using the TR HIM Training Plan (Intermediate). Interested in anyone else who is using to see how they are structuring runs/swims around it. I'd love to follow the BarryP run plan and swim 3 days per week. Was thinking:

M Swim / Med Run
Tu TR Bike / Easy Run
We Swim / Med Run
Th TR Bike / Easy Run
F Swim / Long Run
Sa TR Bike or Outdoor Bike
Su TR Bike or Outdoor Bike / Easy Run

Thoughts?

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome Nate.

Another question - if I used a direct drive trainer which doesn't broadcast data like the Kickr does (Elite Turbo Muin for instance) and used a Stages power meter do I also need a speed sensor on the trainer? Or does having power negate the need for a speed sensor?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speed on a trainer is meaningless, just use the power number
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
speed on a trainer is meaningless, just use the power number
yeah makes sense really.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard anything regarding the status of the release of the 8 week half-iron block? It sounded like mid to late March was the planned release date but I have yet to see anything on the website.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [eec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eec wrote:
Hi, Nate!
Trainerroad is the amazing torture expirience. I'm totaly satisfied. But what about olympic distance tri plan? My A race is on 06/28/2015. I'm kinda itchy :)

Soon! I think coach chad is almost done with this. He's on vacation today so I don't have an update. I'll bug him as soon as he gets back.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BKyle wrote:
Has anyone heard anything regarding the status of the release of the 8 week half-iron block? It sounded like mid to late March was the planned release date but I have yet to see anything on the website.

Thanks!

I think Coach Chad is just reviewing his tri plans. He's on vacation today but I'll bug him as soon as he gets back.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [trisuppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trisuppo wrote:
I'm interested in using the TR HIM Training Plan (Intermediate). Interested in anyone else who is using to see how they are structuring runs/swims around it. I'd love to follow the BarryP run plan and swim 3 days per week. Was thinking:

M Swim / Med Run
Tu TR Bike / Easy Run
We Swim / Med Run
Th TR Bike / Easy Run
F Swim / Long Run
Sa TR Bike or Outdoor Bike
Su TR Bike or Outdoor Bike / Easy Run

Thoughts?

I am doing the exact same plan you outline, but I structure it a little different. I shift the TR plan forward by 2 days, so the Sat/Sun bikes are on Mon/Tues, etc. I have to wake up really early on Mon/Tues but I hate sacrificing my weekend so this works for me.

I am doing BarryP 35/70/105 5 or 6 times a week with long run on Saturday AM so I don't do hard bike/hard run on the same day.

Swimming usually I do Wed & Fri morning bare minimum and will fit in Mon, Tues or Thur evening if possible.

It can be done but I usually miss 1 or 2 workouts a week due to time constraints (usually EZ run or bike)

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted a speed readout (more for amusement) and a cumulative distance readout on the TR splash screen...

Those are really the two stats I use to track my trainer rides... relative speed and distance covered in time.

the FTP and VP while useful for overall gauging my workout... aren't metrics I use to track my overall cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
BKyle wrote:

Thanks!

I think Coach Chad is just reviewing his tri plans. He's on vacation today but I'll bug him as soon as he gets back.

Awesome, thanks for the update Nate. Looking forward to the new plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,

Until you guys are able to come up with the ability to control the kickr erg resistance via a separate power meter,
It would be great if an offset could be configured so
Instead of having to shuffle increased percentage intensity to get intervals which is a bit of a chore calculation wise.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by YTS [ In reply to ]
Re: Trainer road.com [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the meanwhile if some math whiz is capable,
maybe a spreadsheet to show for various FTP and kickr offset
what the percentage increase one should set TR at to get accurate intervals would be very helpful.

lennyk wrote:
Nate,

Until you guys are able to come up with the ability to control the kickr erg resistance via a separate power meter,
Instead of having to shuffle increased percentage intensity to get intervals which is a bit of a chore calculation wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Trainerroad with my iPad for the first time last night for a little spin of the legs for 40 minutes. Really great work Nate. Very impressed.

"it just works"

Look forward to being able to do Sufferfest videos on it with Trainerroad as well :-)

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Last edited by: BayDad: Mar 26, 15 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lennyk wrote:
Nate,

We totally agree! :-D

We just did a two week sprint on the website and we're moving back to iOS starting Monday.

First up is better inRide support and spindown calibration for Kickr/inRide.

We're going to try to do more frequent releases, I bet we get the kickr+external power meter stuff in there pretty soon though. Everyone at the office wants it too.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
I used Trainerroad with my iPad for the first time last night for a little spoon of the legs for 40 minutes. Really great work Nate. Very impressed.

"it just works"

Look forward to being able to do Sufferfest videos on it with Trainerroad as well :-)

Thanks man :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small observation today whendoing some intervals,

If resting between hard intervals and spinning at a lowish rpm,
As the hard interval starts, if i Speed up rpm at same time
It takes a little longer for the increased forces to take effect, a few seconds longer.
It was more effective to actually hold the low rpm a second or two and then start pedallng at effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My FTP has apparently fallen by about 50 watts in the last week.
There are 3 suspects (it could be any or all):
1) Heat is causing the wahoo kickr to misfunction. This loss of power was associated with longer or harder rides on a shady porch at about 90F.
2) Heat is causing my body to misfunction. (My doubt is that 90F is not very hot for Tucson and I do have a fan)
3) Intermittent nature of the ANT-kickr connection. When the signal drops 0 gets averaged in. (My doubt is that this seems to happen on other occasions also).
Quote Reply

Prev Next