Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [TeJa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately this is a known bug we're working on. If you'd like some more info or some possible trouble shooting advice, shoot us an email to support@trainerroad.com.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Trevor, just wanted to confirm something. If I were using trainerroad with IPhone 5S and garmin speed/cadence sensor, I would need wahoo key and 30 pin adapter, correct? Or I could just use wahoo speed and cadence and then I would only need the wahoo key?

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TRICPH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, exactly, if you'd like to stick with your Garmin sensor, you can go the ANT+ route and use the setup described here, with the lightning to 30 pin adapter, followed by the Wahoo key: http://support.trainerroad.com/...icles/201618914-ANT-

Or if you'd like to upgrade to the Wahoo Blue Speed/Cadence sensor, you won't need any key, as you can just utilize the native BT on your phone. You can get some more info on that here: http://support.trainerroad.com/...7504-Bluetooth-Smart

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
I've been using trainer road since October and am loving it. My FTP has gone up about 80 watts so far, when I retest next week I expect it to be closer to a 100 watt increase.

I'm finishing up week 8 of the mid volume general build right now.

After that I have about 6 weeks before I leave for a 2.5 week european vacation. About 10 of those days I will be riding 40-80 miles a day in Belgium while checking out a few of the spring classics.

Any suggestions on what would be a good plan to follow for those 6 weeks of training? There is going to be plenty of hills on the trip so I was thinking maybe climbing road race or rolling road race, or maybe a century plan.

I'm having trouble deciding what would be the best use of my time before my trip.

Since you're not really racing, just general fitness would be good for you. I think the climbing road race plan would be pretty fun since there's some sustained FTP efforts along with a lot of other variation. The rolling road race is more of a punchy plan and geared towards dropping people on short power climbs. I think the climbing road race plan sounds pretty good for what you're aiming for :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate,

Loving traineroad for last few years. Question re what plan you'd advise as Iv a different year this year.

I have a 70.3 in 12 weeks, Celtman in 17 and Outlaw in 21. Unkike last year I'm planning on training in all weathers due to the Celtman weather being unpredictable :) and this is my A race.

I was inking of following the Half High volume with 2 sessions then Out on the road for the main rides at weekends.

Or would I be better off with sweet spot sessions on the turbo for 2 sessions a week?

Cheers
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate - I was running TR on my iPad during my latest workout. In the past I have been able to leave the app, it still controls the Kickr, do some other things on the iPad (other apps) and come back and its moving right along with the correct interval timer etc. This time when I came back to TR it apparently ended the workout and was back at the main screen. There wasn't the save the workout prompt, but it did appear in my Career section. Is there some sort of time out if the TR app isn't the active app that it shuts down? Or is there something else at play? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If i was trainerroad i would start looking to implement this soon as competitors have already put this option in their beta software and not waiting on wahoo as they seem to have technical issues fixing the problem given their total lack of customer communications.

Your software is good, dont let somebody come and eat your lunch....

Nate Pearson wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
At the end of the day is this a "problem" that is better solved by Wahoo than TR?
I put problem in quotes as for some its a non-issue, we accept there is a difference and live with it. But for others who want things to be more precise its something they have raised as a concern.

before TR devotes a ton of time to it, i would be interested to know for its user base how many have this "problem", and how many are fine with it. One of those fun games of throwing resources at something for a small % of user base issues.

Exactly! Especially with Wahoo putting out a firmware update to do this exact thing! Since they have control of the guts of the firmware, they can solve it a lot better than we can.

Good insight Rondal.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrnut wrote:
Nate - I was running TR on my iPad during my latest workout. In the past I have been able to leave the app, it still controls the Kickr, do some other things on the iPad (other apps) and come back and its moving right along with the correct interval timer etc. This time when I came back to TR it apparently ended the workout and was back at the main screen. There wasn't the save the workout prompt, but it did appear in my Career section. Is there some sort of time out if the TR app isn't the active app that it shuts down? Or is there something else at play? Thanks.

Thanks for this, we're looking into a background issue with the Kickr right now.

There shouldn't be any time out. It should run the entire workout so this was a bug :(.

If this happens again, you can go into that career workout and choose to finish the workout. Sorry about this!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Sam,

With 12 weeks available, you might be better off doing 4 weeks of the Sustained Power Build (first 4 or last 4, up to you based on how fit you feel you are already) followed by the soon-to-be-released Half-Distance Triathlon block which is 8 weeks long, accommodates your swims & runs, includes brick workouts & has a shorter taper.

I'm working on all four distances right now and expect to start rolling them out over the next couple of weeks, Sam.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Last edited by: chadtimmerman: Mar 4, 15 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an interesting anecdote, not about trainerroad specifically, but moreso about the trainer(s) I use with it. I was recently forced to switch trainers (I noticed the roller on my old one is visibly worn down, and a new trainer tire I installed kept slipping). This old trainer was one I got off craigslist last year, a performance travel trac 3 (I'd imagine from the early 2000's), so I had been using the travel trac profile in TR and assumed it would be in the right ballpark, assuming that manufacturers maybe not tinker too much with the curves. On it, my virtual power FTP was 230. The thing about this particular trainer is that it doesn't have a knob to control the height of the roller, you just have to lift a spring loaded base. I'll get back to this point in a bit.

So yesterday I started using an ascent fluid that I had recently bought for my wife to use. I did a quick ride, spending about a minute each on various gear combinations at 90rpm and checking against some gear/speed/cadence calculators to make sure there was equivalency there and getting the roller resistance right. I did an FTP test to get a sense for how to work with this new trainer and had an FTP of 323!

I realize this stuff is apples-to-oranges comparisons, but I'm stumped as to why there's such a huge difference. I do notice with the ascent that it feels a lot more natural, the travel trac always felt like it had way too much resistance as my effort increased. Maybe I had incorrectly applied the travel trac profile but maybe it didn't fit this particularly old model I have, or maybe the quirky roller setup made me put too much resistance on the tire. Who knows, but I certainly like the idea of having a 323 FTP (4.62w/kg) vs 230 (3.29w/kg), especially since I've only been riding a little over a year! Of course, the truth may be somewhere in between, the key for me is to keep pushing myself with consistent measures, which TR definitely has provided. Just was curious to figure out what the user error may have been. Regardless, I definitely feel I'll be ready for my first season of racing thanks in part to TR.
Last edited by: pgp128: Mar 4, 15 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [pgp128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pgp128 wrote:
I have an interesting anecdote, not about trainerroad specifically, but moreso about the trainer(s) I use with it. I was recently forced to switch trainers (I noticed the roller on my old one is visibly worn down, and a new trainer tire I installed kept slipping). This old trainer was one I got off craigslist last year, a performance travel trac 3 (I'd imagine from the early 2000's), so I had been using the travel trac profile in TR and assumed it would be in the right ballpark, assuming that manufacturers maybe not tinker too much with the curves. On it, my virtual power FTP was 230. The thing about this particular trainer is that it doesn't have a knob to control the height of the roller, you just have to lift a spring loaded base. I'll get back to this point in a bit.

So yesterday I started using an ascent fluid that I had recently bought for my wife to use. I did a quick ride, spending about a minute each on various gear combinations at 90rpm and checking against some gear/speed/cadence calculators to make sure there was equivalency there and getting the roller resistance right. I did an FTP test to get a sense for how to work with this new trainer and had an FTP of 232!

I realize this stuff is apples-to-oranges comparisons, but I'm stumped as to why there's such a huge difference. I do notice with the ascent that it feels a lot more natural, the travel trac always felt like it had way too much resistance as my effort increased. Maybe I had incorrectly applied the travel trac profile but maybe it didn't fit this particularly old model I have, or maybe the quirky roller setup made me put too much resistance on the tire. Who knows, but I certainly like the idea of having a 232 FTP (4.62w/kg) vs 230 (3.29w/kg), especially since I've only been riding a little over a year! Of course, the truth may be somewhere in between, the key for me is to keep pushing myself with consistent measures, which TR definitely has provided. Just was curious to figure out what the user error may have been. Regardless, I definitely feel I'll be ready for my first season of racing thanks in part to TR.

I'm confused. 232W is 4.62 w/kg, 230W is 4.58 w/kg. What numbers are you using to get 3.29 w/kg?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, typo. I guess I'm stuck with the 200's. I test 323w
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pgp128 wrote:
Oops, typo. I guess I'm stuck with the 200's. I test 323w

Real or not, this is Slowtwitch so go with the 323W : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Performance Travel Trac 2000 and the way the virtual power curve is calculated is the issue. I have the Travel Trac, and I also have an older wired PowerTap power meter that is not Trainerroad compatible. Sometimes I do Trainerroad workouts as prescribed for the Travel Trac virtual power curve but I also turn on the PowerTap and then download the data to compare. The numbers are different but I don't care; I just have to remember that I have one FTP if I'm using Trainerroad and a different one if I'm outside using the PowerTap. But it's not hard to remember since the difference is almost 100 watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you be any more precise on the estimated release of the new 70.3 training plan? My race is May 9, so I am hoping very soon, next week or two?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that info and confirmation, I feel less crazy knowing that! For sure, regardless of the number, I've definitely been kicking my own butt with TR since I signed up in Nov. I did one race late last season and then based on that experience started to train for my first full season. Glad there's an explanation to the huge discrepancy between my two trainers, I do definitely like the ascent better though
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All four plans should surface within the next 2 weeks, 3 weeks tops. We're developing an admin tool that will make the entire plan creation process substantially quicker, and once that's ready I can implement the 4 new tri plans as well as some MTB plans that are also in the works. So expect them during the month of March for sure!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there also still an 8 week 40K TT plan in the works as well, once you've done these? (Perhaps an April time-frame release?) Thanks for any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure is, and that's a reasonable timeline too. There will also be a 10-Mile & 50-Mile plan, but the priority is definitely the 8-week 40k plan.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad/Nate, you guys rock.
Just re-tested FTP after another base cycle, 6% increase, now swinging well above 300. LTHR also improved dramatically.

Your programming is top notch, and so far from what I have seen has been the best investment in training.

Jumped over 60w in FTP in 4 months.

Going to give your new General Build a go for the next few weeks and see where that lands me for race season. Riding partners who sat around all winter are already getting worried.

Keep up the good work, we appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right ON! Thanks for the support and thanks for sharing your progress - truly makes this all worth it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a bit of searching but was only able to find a bit of information on the Trainer Road website. Is it possible to upload TR work outs to a Garmin Edge (500 in my case) for use outside?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to get training plans on the iPad or iPhone app?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadtimmerman wrote:
Hey Sam,

With 12 weeks available, you might be better off doing 4 weeks of the Sustained Power Build (first 4 or last 4, up to you based on how fit you feel you are already) followed by the soon-to-be-released Half-Distance Triathlon block which is 8 weeks long, accommodates your swims & runs, includes brick workouts & has a shorter taper.

I'm working on all four distances right now and expect to start rolling them out over the next couple of weeks, Sam.

Excellent thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great investment and your iPad and iPhone apps are a super addition. Now my husband and I can both ride TR workouts without fighting over the computer :) FTP improving all the time and I find the workouts interesting and motivating. Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next