Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:
I really don't care about arguing with you about your views on cycling but your reference to Rosa Parks and the civil rights struggle is highly offensive to all the people who sacrificed in that struggle and it trivializes the horrific nature of segregation to compare it to cycling in any way shape or form. You should apologize immediately to everyone who reads this thread and refrain from using it any further.

Joel

The lack of understanding and appreciation for analogy is sad.
Analogy is comparing the relationship of two things to the relationship of two other things. It doesn't suggest a similarity between the individual components.

For example, when I say 7/14 is like 13,000,000/26,000,000, I'm not saying that 26,000,000 is like 14.
Or earth/sun is like electron/nucleus is not saying the earth is like an electron.

Similarly, "saying 'get on the shoulder'" to "A cyclist in traffic lane" is like "saying 'get in the back of the bus'" to "Rosa Parks" is not suggesting the cyclist in the back of the bus is like Rosa Parks, and it's certainly not suggesting that the struggle for full lane rights is similar in importance to the civil rights struggle; they're as similar as 14 is to 26,000,000. But the analogy still fits. Perfectly.

Rosa Parks stood up to the bias and bigotry. Many people, even some people in the black community, were against her "making waves", which, whether you like it or not, is similar to people in the cycling community urging other cyclists to not "make waves" with motorists and favor cowering at the edge (or on the shoulder) over using the full lane.

Enough with the excuses to ignore and dismiss what we're saying.

What did you just say here? You aren't only defending a stupid and offensive analogy, but doubling down on it. WOW, you really aren't good at this.

Logic would dictate if I want to get people on my side, I DON'T FUCKING ALIENATE THEM WITH STUPID CRAP LIKE THIS.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whareagle wrote:

Have ANY of you EVER gotten fit while riding or training in a bike lane? Great for hipsters (not really), crappy for Triathletes and Roadies.

OMG i totally missed this. thanks trail for the quote.

um yes. 2nd female overall locally, always podium locally and 1st female overall in my last international IM. I'm calling those results "fit". and i ONLY use the shoulder.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Have ANY of you EVER gotten fit while riding or training in a bike lane?

Wow, that's insane!!
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Nobody is trivializing cyclist deaths. Nobody. But your use of that analogy is ridiculous. There are two options here: (1) You really are tha much of a dumbass who's unable to think of a better analogy or (2) you're too damn stubborn to admit you should have used a better analogy.

Ninety5rpm wrote:
joelt wrote:
Again like I said before I could not care less about your argument about cycling but when you make an offensive comparison that trivializes the complete oppression of a race of people by both the government and society for the better part of 100 years you are wrong. Do you even understand what the Jim Crow laws were and how devastating they were to African Americans?

You need to apologize!!!!

Joel

600 cyclists are killed every year by motorists. How about you don't trivialize that.

I already explained why it's a good analogy.

But yeah, I can't think of another one. I'll try.

You know, people compare all kinds of situations to the holocaust, to racism, to sexism, to homophobia, etc. Making analogies to well-known scenarios can be an effective way to convey a point (at least with people who understand analogies). It's not trivializing the thing used in the analogy to use it. It just isn't. And if anyone is offended by it, they're choosing to be offended. The use of the analogy is not causing the offense. Their choice is.

Ask Dan the forum owner what he thinks of your analogy. His wife might take serious offense to your racially insensitive analogy and continued defense of it. I'm not PC by any stretch, but even I would never make such a dumb analogy. Why don't you just compare it to the holocaust while your at it?

YOU ARE AN IDIOT. YOU ARE A DUMB IDIOT. YOU ARE A DUMB FUCKING IDIOT. Did I mention you are an idiot?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I am a white guy with black friends and have asked them. No response yet. I'll let you know.

In the mean time, I note that I'm not the first to make such comparisons, but it's obviously controversial.

Quote:
I'm certainly not trying to say the cyclist is equal to Rosa Parks, even if their stories share some common elements.
greatgreatwashington.org

Quote:
I can imagine that for people of color life in a white-majority context feels a bit like being on a bicycle in midst of traffic. They have the right to be on the road, and laws on the books to make it equitable, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are on a bike in a world made for cars. Experiencing this when I’m on my bike in traffic has helped me to understand what privilege talk is really about.
WHAT MY BIKE HAS TAUGHT ME ABOUT WHITE PRIVILEGE

Quote:
The abuse is so severe that it feels like how racism feels, both on a personal level but also institutionalised across state apparatus like policing, judiciary, the Department for Transport, and especially the media.

https://storify.com/lastwheel/the-racist-abuse-against-people-who-cycle

Quote:
If white people say that black people don't deserve the same rights or respect, we call that racism. If men say that women don't deserve the same rights or respect, we call that sexism. If straight people say that gay people don't deserve the same rights or respect, we call that homophobia.
This anti-cyclist attitude needs a name, too. These Virginia legislators aren't just misinformed and pigheaded, they're also cyclist-ist. Or something. I haven't seen a good name for this prejudice. Have you? Any ideas?
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/4956/do-we-need-a-name-for-anti-bike-ism/

Quote:
“The key is that transportation IS a civil rights issue,” she responded, “in that it has been recognized as such for some time by transit justice activists; do bike advocates who use civil rights language recognize that, or do think they’re coming up with a novel comparison when they call themselves “second-class citizens”? We’re just getting started with making a case for bicycling being part of the environmental justice framework too.”
Is bicycling a civil rights issue?

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

YOU ARE AN IDIOT. YOU ARE A DUMB IDIOT. YOU ARE A DUMB FUCKING IDIOT. Did I mention you are an idiot?
And I'm the offensive one?

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
TheForge wrote:

And I'm the offensive one?

Yes and with your previous post elevated yourself to an entire new level of crazy. Well done, didn't think it was possible.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you are. We're all adults here. Nobody is going to get offended by a little foul language, especially from me. But comparing the plight of a small number of cyclist to the subjugation of a race is beyond offensive. I say small number of cyclist, because most if not all of us here are or were cyclist at one time, or spend a fair amount on bicycles. And we do not appear to agree with you.

If enough people you are trying to convince of something say your analogy is bad and you should apologize, but double down on it??? You are an idiot. You disgust me. You better hope you never run into anybody like me. If you said that and defended it in front of me, honking my horn would be the least of your concerns. I think you have officially worn out your welcome, and those of us who were playing nice have had it with you.

Last edited by: TheForge: May 27, 15 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF FUCKING IDIOTS!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [stupac2722] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And who are you? 2 years, 53 post? Oh, somebody I don't care about.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [stupac2722] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stupac2722 wrote:
YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF FUCKING IDIOTS!!!!!!

Amen to this! The level that these types of things rises to on ST will never cease to amaze me. Wishing a stranger on a forum gets run over and killed on his bike...unreal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YOU CARE ENOUGH TO SEE HOW MANY POSTS I HAVE! WHO GIVES 3 FUCKS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I just found your first post odd. You come in here and defend the actions of a carpetbagger chasing attention and then attack everybody in the thread. So yes, I checked how often you posted. Why would somebody come out from whole they lurk from to go and insult so many people here who have a right to be offended by this moron's stupid posts?

Don't really care, but since you felt the need to do it, why don't you enlighten us. Or go away, doesn't really matter?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over/under on how many more posts until thread lockdown?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
Whareagle wrote:

Have ANY of you EVER gotten fit while riding or training in a bike lane? Great for hipsters (not really), crappy for Triathletes and Roadies.

um yes. 2nd female overall locally, always podium locally and 1st female overall in my last international IM. I'm calling those results "fit". and i ONLY use the shoulder.

Kathy - congratulations. It really is an accomplishment, and if you'd share your TCX or FIT files, I'd love to have a look, just to see how you handle intersections, etc.
Couple of quick questions...

• How nervous are you when cycling out on those lanes?
  • How much gunk is in them?
  • Are you required to ride in them, by law, or can you exit?
  • Have you been harrassed in the lane?
  • You like to ride fingle sile and just let friends ride your wake, or do you even miss the company?
  • Do your bike lanes include the gutter pan?
  • How many broken bottles do you encounter weekly?
  • When you approach a road junction - do you merge and take your place in the queue, or do you filter to the front, with or without a green bike box?
  • Have you encountered right-hooks from unknowing but passing motorists?
  • How about motorists pulling out of parking spaces?
  • Have you ever been doored?
  • How anxious are your rides?
  • How wide are the lanes?
  • Are they bidirectional pathways, or do they just go in one direction?
  • How clean are they?
Just curious, really.

Richard Wharton, USAC L1 since 1997.
Technology, Application, Attention, Success
http://www.onlinebikecoach.com, http://www.cyclingcenterdallas.com
#whareagle, #leavewithnothingleft, #knowyournumbers, #numbersdontlie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And he has the right to type a stupid post, Lets get over this dumb stuff and talk about triathlons.
Again, who fucking cares, if you are offended by a post on a forum than you have a bigger problem than the offensiveness of his post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go ahead. There are a thousand other threads about triathlons, aero wheels, the latest flo order, heart rate monitors, the new WTC 70.3 championship model. Nobody is preventing you from posting or reading there, but something attracted you to here. So why fight it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah it makes me see that I'm a better person than 90% of the rest of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
As a skier for 37 years, a ski instructor, and a ski patroller, the guy in front has the right of way, but that doesn't stop a severe accident or even death when the guy in fronts suddenly cuts across the trail.

We have beginners that go 5 mph, we have racers that go 60+mph. Both exist on the same trail. Both with get my neck hair up. The vast majority survive the day without incident. However, when there's a severe accident, it's s bad day. A bad day for those injured. A bad day for the responders. A bad day for the on-lookers. A bad day for the insurance companies. A bad day for the accountants. A bad day for the victims families.

It doesn't just hurt the one person, but has an affect on a lot of people. That's one more story a mom hears and decides her kids never need to do such a dangerous sport.

All because the guy in front didn't look over his shoulder to see the faster skier coming before he decided to make a move. Or because the string of racers are coming down hot and the first guy sees the slow guy in front and makes a move out of the way, but the second, third, and fourth racer plow into slow guy because they didn't see him in time. Yeah, sure, someone's wrong and some ones right, but does it matter when I tell a mother and father their kid is no longer alive?

The racers weren't trying to kill the slow guy. They weren't daylight werewolves. They didn't have intentions to ruin a life.

If I was the first racer, I would have signaled to the others to go wide and I would pull up to slow guy and warn him that the race team is on this trail warming up and he might be better off on the side or on a different trail until the racers are off the trail.

As a patroller, I would warn both parties, but LEGALLY, the have the right to ski at their own speed. But it's still not the RIGHT thing to do.

Everyone, skiers, cyclists, motorists, pedestrians NEED to be aware and be DEFENSIVE. Risk as little as possible. If you risk a lot, then just be aware you can cause a lot of damage to yourself and others.

Okay - NOW you're talking my language. This is a GREAT post. Thank you.

Think about ALL of the Texans who show up every Christmas and Spring Break at your local hill. They're obnoxious, they think they know it all, they're flush with funds and low on information. They think that since they bought the 1-week pass, that they're entitled to be complete A-holes on the slopes, skills or otherwise. There's no peace for those two weeks. You're up to your eyeballs in noise, cursing, show-offs who don't have a clue, earbud-wearers who are oblivious to everyone else around them, and LOTS of injuries and innocent bystanders.

The smart(er) ones pay the extra money for the ski instructor. You're a PROFESSIONAL. You accurately assess everyone's ability. You help them work on basics. You understand fitness, altitude, fear, cold, equipment and ability. You go to school yourself and take LOTS of EXPENSIVE CEC's to become a sort-of psychologist, helping the 1st-timer learn to properly snowplow, how to edge, which ski is more important on a turn, why you may or may NOT need poles, etc. You also keep them fed, watered, and TRY to keep the alcohol to a minimum. These are DRIVERS. They're on YOUR hill. YOU are the PRO, and YOU want them to learn, have fun, become somewhat adept, reduce their perceptions of vulnerability, and handle the different conditions, light, terrain, and slope. For that, it may not be enough, but you ARE paid.

We have nothing like that for cyclists and triathletes, yet we still have the same entitlement and perception of vulnerability issues. Given the discussion on the thread, it's a wonder that people even attempt to ride some times, the perception is so poor.

• Ride responsibly.
  • Responsible cycling means being visible.
  • Being visible means practicing lane control.
  • Practicing lane control, and being visible, means that road users behind you have a better idea of what you are doing, where you are going, and what your immediate intentions are.
  • Signaling intentions and following traffic rules means increased visibility.
  • Increased visibility, with clear signals, and abiding by the rules of the road, means.... nothing happens.

I've just shot a F/R video on my GoPros, just outside my studio. It may take a while to upload, but it's mostly boring. I did get ONE... ONE split-lane pass when I was intentionally hugging the curb. Any closer and I would have high-sided my pedal. Mostly, people just changed lanes and passed. It wasn't the absolute busiest time of the day, but it was pretty busy, and it's one of the 10-busiest intersections in Dallas. But really, it was just... mundane. It was nice - I got some sun, after all this rain, and I did get to see just how bad the roads have become, with this harsh winter and spring. But since there are no bonds in anyone's future, lest taxes go up, we'll just deal with it and then punt the bill to the Feds as we all cry poor.

I'll try to post up after uploading to YouTube, but honestly - there's really not much there. I even tried it first without, then with, my blinkies. No difference. They avoided me like a plague ship.

Richard Wharton, USAC L1 since 1997.
Technology, Application, Attention, Success
http://www.onlinebikecoach.com, http://www.cyclingcenterdallas.com
#whareagle, #leavewithnothingleft, #knowyournumbers, #numbersdontlie
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who said I wished it? With that said, I'll admit that was over the top and removed it. See, some of us can admit when we're wrong.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stupac2722 wrote:
And he has the right to type a stupid post, Lets get over this dumb stuff and talk about triathlons.
Again, who fucking cares, if you are offended by a post on a forum than you have a bigger problem than the offensiveness of his post.

There are several thousand threads about triathlons on here. Quick, go tell someone if their seat is too low or their nutrition plan will be off by 1 calorie which is the difference between KQ or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your Charismatic leader has not given you the permission to admit wrongness. He requests your presence in the LR at 0800 tomorrow for a special debriefing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whareagle wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
Whareagle wrote:

Kathy - congratulations. It really is an accomplishment, and if you'd share your TCX or FIT files, I'd love to have a look, just to see how you handle intersections, etc.
Couple of quick questions...

• How nervous are you when cycling out on those lanes?
  • How much gunk is in them?
  • Are you required to ride in them, by law, or can you exit?
  • Have you been harrassed in the lane?
  • You like to ride fingle sile and just let friends ride your wake, or do you even miss the company?
  • Do your bike lanes include the gutter pan?
  • How many broken bottles do you encounter weekly?
  • When you approach a road junction - do you merge and take your place in the queue, or do you filter to the front, with or without a green bike box?
  • Have you encountered right-hooks from unknowing but passing motorists?
  • How about motorists pulling out of parking spaces?
  • Have you ever been doored?
  • How anxious are your rides?
  • How wide are the lanes?
  • Are they bidirectional pathways, or do they just go in one direction?
  • How clean are they?
Just curious, really.

heading out in a bit for a 40 km ride so i'll keep your questions in mind.

*never nervous or rarely. can't remember last time i was nervous except the time i got chased by a dog (3 years ago?)
*OMG the gunk! you guys would go crazy! concrete, gravel, dead animals (from snakes to birds to dogs to racoons to iguanas), tires debris (like when those semi hauler truck tires explode?), glass (every time i ride at least in 2 spots at an absolute minimum), not so much of leaves or 'green' debris as it is dry season now and even wet season we don't have much, i'll think about this today's ride.
*no clue. i know i'd NEVER think of riding on the road but I do pop over there if I need to (passing an obstacle or whatever).
*absolutely never.
*normally single file but sometimes 2x2.
*no bike lanes exist. this is the shoulder. oh, and what is a gutter pan?
*every ride there is some glass but actual beer bottles? hum. not sure. i'll count the glass areas today. i'm going to guess at least 3 in 40km.
*no bike box (not sure what that is). road junction i stay in the shoulder. OH! i think i know what you're talking about. this would happen at a police reten. so at those and topes (concrete humps in road) I will usually be able to get around the tope by being on the shoulder so no need to go out in the lane. at a reten (police stop) I can also usually go to the right of traffic and avoid the lane. if i can't, i wait until traffic is clear and then i hop in the lane until I can get back on the shoulder. at this point I'm able to go faster than traffic.
*don't know what a right-hook is.
*motorists should be looking but what i do is slow down and watch their face. if they aren't looking directly at me and giving me the right of way then i assume they're going to hit me and i do what i need to do to avoid them. once they have nodded to me, then i go but still keep an eye on them until I'm past.
*never been doored
*not anxious too much - i do worry about dogs sometimes but that is pretty rare now. mostly i'm concerned about getting my HR into Z4 and holding it there for an hour.
*shoulder goes from nonexistant to wide enough for 2 cars to wide enough for 2 bikes (normal width).
*not sure what lane you're talking about there.
*clean? you're funny. see above.

okay, i only counted until the last 20 minutes because the last 20 minutes i could only concentrate on traffic and hitting my numbers as i was getting really tired. that said, apparently road kill is the most on the shoulder - i stopped counting at 15 with 20 min to go. I actually had a bird fall from the sky!! and land on the shoulder, dead (confirmed by my husband who came across it after me). I counted 6 times I avoided glass but only 2 long concentrations of it. there might have been a 3rd in that last 20 minutes though. what is missing from the "stuff" on the shoulder that i noticed is: People! people getting off transport, crossing the road, walking on teh shoulder. Bikes! lots of folks commuting. saw 2 beer bottles and 2 complete 6-packs standing in the shoulder. weird. lastly, tonight, for the 3rd time in 5 years I got chased by dogs. i think this is your fault so phbbbbt! :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: May 27, 15 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'll admit that was over the top and removed it."

you can take the boy out of the lavender room, but you can't take the lavender room out of the boy ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I slipped. This thread as a whole has gotten more and more over the top and the most recent post by these visitors pushed me over the edge. But I quickly saw the error of my ways.

Quote Reply

Prev Next